Joe Biden - for the people?

Glori.B

Born Free
Apr 24, 2008
u.s.a.
Analysts weigh credit card impact of Biden VP bid

By Kevin Drawbaugh

DENVER, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Credit card industry analysts are wary of the sector's regulatory outlook if Barack Obama, a harsh critic of their business, becomes U.S. president with their longtime ally Joe Biden as vice president.

Sen. Biden represents Delaware, where many credit card companies are based because of the state's liberal interest laws and low taxes. Democrats formally nominated Obama and Biden in Denver this week.

After the Nov. 4 elections, some Senate Democrats are expected to resume a push to limit credit card fees, and possibly to reform consumer bankruptcy law... (cont...)
http://www.reuters.com/article/fundsFundsNews/idUSN2832742820080829

Joe Biden: No True Friend of Working Men and Women

Last August, the Democrats held a presidential debate in Chicago. Seven Democrats participated, with former sportscaster Keith Olbermann moderating the televised event on MSNBC. It was sponsored by the AFL-CIO and took place before 15,000 union activists at Soldier Field.

You'd think the candidates at a Democratic debate dealing with issues relevant to working men and women would be asked about the infamous bankruptcy bill signed two years earlier by President George W. Bush. Oddly, you'd be wrong. Olbermann never mentioned it.

This wasn't the first time Congress had passed this shameful act. Bill Clinton vetoed it twice in the 90's, so we know where he stands. The credit industry, ever relentless, kept coming back, confidant they had the number of elected officials necessary to do their bidding. They did, and Joe Biden was always one of them. (cont...)

Jackson Williams: Joe Biden: No True Friend of Working Men and Women

"The final version of the bill was cleverly titled the "Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005," but it wasn't aimed at preventing abuse or protecting consumers, and everyone knew it.

Arianna Huffington wrote on salon.com in March 2005 that this legislation was "so hostile to ordinary American families that it could only have come about in a place as corrupt, cynical and unmoored from reality as Washington, D.C." She concluded: "The bankruptcy bill is morally bankrupt. And so is any senator who votes for it." She defined the problem:"

"So what does the bill do? It makes it harder for average people to file for bankruptcy protection; it makes it easier for landlords to evict a bankrupt tenant; it endangers child-support payments by giving a wider array of creditors a shot at post-bankruptcy income; it allows millionaires to shield an unlimited amount of equity in homes and asset-protection trusts; it makes it more difficult for small businesses to reorganize while opening new loopholes for the Enrons of the world; it allows creditors to provide misleading information; and it does nothing to rein in lending abuses...."

Voting for the bankruptcy bill was Biden's major no no.. but he represents Delaware. All politicians have their constituents.

But if the Bankruptcy Bill concerns you, I'd think you'd vote for Obama, given he was the only person running who voted against it. good ole McCain voted yea. And given his history of connections to the banking and oil industries, if you're worried about the working folk, your vote is probalby misplaced.

Cheers. ;)

Grouped By Vote Position YEAs ---74
Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Allen (R-VA)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Carper (D-DE)
Chafee (R-RI)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Conrad (D-ND)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Frist (R-TN)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Isakson (R-GA)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Salazar (D-CO)
Santorum (R-PA)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Talent (R-MO)
Thomas (R-WY)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)

NAYs ---25
Akaka (D-HI)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Corzine (D-NJ)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Wyden (D-OR)

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

oh...and btw, Clinton didn't vote on the bill.

voting For The Bankruptcy Bill Was Biden's Major No No.. But He Represents Delaware. All Politicians Have Their Constituents.

but If The Bankruptcy Bill Concerns You, I'd Think You'd Vote For Obama, Given He Was The Only Person Running Who Voted Against It. Good Ole Mccain Voted Yea. And Given His History Of Connections To The Banking And Oil Industries, If You're Worried About The Working Folk, Your Vote Is Probalby Misplaced.

Cheers. ;)

Oh...and Btw, Clinton Didn't Vote On The Bill.

LoL

Voting for the bankruptcy bill was Biden's major no no.. but he represents Delaware. All politicians have their constituents.

But if the Bankruptcy Bill concerns you, I'd think you'd vote for Obama, given he was the only person running who voted against it. good ole McCain voted yea. And given his history of connections to the banking and oil industries, if you're worried about the working folk, your vote is probably misplaced.

Cheers. ;)

:lol: actually, my vote has yet to be placed at all. ;)

should we sweep this stuff under the rug as if it doesn't matter, just cuz we support a certain party?

i have been posting significant issues on both sides!

cheers! :beer:

:lol: actually, my vote has yet to be placed at all. ;)

should we sweep this stuff under the rug as if it doesn't matter, just cuz we support a certain party? i am posting significant issues on both sides!

cheers! :beer:

perhaps it should only be brought out if they DIFFER on the issue instead of vilifying one and not the other just cuz we support a certain party.

So, perhaps you should have written -- John McCain -- Joe Biden -- for the people? in discussing the bankruptcy bill. but you didn't do that... you used a vote where they voted THE SAME WAY to try to make it a negative for Biden... and totally ignored McCain's vote and the fact that he's hooked to the gills to the banking and oil industries.

perhaps it should only be brought out if they DIFFER on the issue instead of vilifying one and not the other just cuz we support a certain party.

So, perhaps you should have written -- John McCain -- Joe Biden -- for the people? in discussing the bankruptcy bill. but you didn't do that... you used a vote where they voted THE SAME WAY to try to make it a negative for Biden... and totally ignored McCain's vote and the fact that he's hooked to the gills to the banking and oil industries.

i had not seen the entire roll call. so thank you for posting it. you're right to question the significance of mccain signing it as well..i think it was a bad bill and i don't agree with any of them signing it.

and i really don't see shedding light on anyone's voting record as "villifying" anyone. but if joe bidens wife hid her daughter's illegitimate baby, i mean, that's just wrong!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
I have been pointing out, multiple time on this very board, ever since Biden was announced, that his selling out the middle class by changing the bankruptsy laws was a vile thing to do.

This change in bankruptsy laws was NOT a minor thing, folks.

Bankruptsy laws as they stood served capitalism quite well.

Among other things the fact that people could slip out of debts served to keep lenders more careful about who they lent to and how much they lent them.

The power of compound interest insures us that people will go belly up, and it actually serves us ALL, that people in that state can decalre bankruptsy.

Why?

Because once people can start out with a frech slate, they have a chance in hell of once again becoming self supporting citizens.

On the other hand, if we don't allow them that second chance, then they're forever going to be poor...too poor to become self sufficient citizens.

Now I understand perfectly why people who pay their bills object to this law, but you are really cutting off you noses to spite you faces thinking that this change in bankruptsy laws is a good thing for YOU.

It isn't.

It's another blow to the middle class, the class all America''s wealth is really founded on.

What's next debtors prisons?

Do you all think that will make our world a better happier richer place, too?

What cracks me up about libertopians who think its all about personal responsibility, is that we had those laws in place that some of you think would be good for us, and we got rid of them because economists showed us that in the long run such draconian debtos laws actually served to make the whole nation poorer.

So yeah, I was NOT exactly thrilled when Biden was announced as Obama's VP choice.

the articles i posted didn't even mention mccain and i had not seen the entire roll call. so thank you for posting it. you're right to question the significance of mccain signing it as well..i think it was a bad bill and i don't agree with any of them signing it.

and i really don't see shedding light on anyone's voting record as "villifying" anyone. but if joe bidens wife hid her daughter's illegitimate baby, i mean, that's just wrong!!! :lol::lol::lol:

How dare you not include every fact related to an item you posted ! You damn misinformant !!! :lol:

I wasn't thrilled about Biden, either, but IMO he's a much better choice than Palin or McCain.

So vote for him if you will, but don't let that stop you from criticizing his actions. Or vote for McCain and pretend he's got the best interests of the middle class in mind.

How dare you not include every fact related to an item you posted ! You damn misinformant !!! :lol:

Yeah, totally.

Every post has to include every pertinent aspect of the subject however minor to the point we are making.

And for that enormous work we put into writing deeply on complex issues, we'll get reponses like: Nah uh! You're a liberal.

so wait, Biden voted for this bill and he's against the middle class but those who support McCain failed to mention or worse, didn't know that he also voted for the same bill that they claim demonstrates what a wrong choice for VP Biden was?

How exactly does that work?

I wait breathlessly for a response.

so wait, Biden voted for this bill and he's against the middle class but those who support McCain failed to mention or worse, didn't know that he also voted for the same bill that they claim demonstrates what a wrong choice for VP Biden was?

:lol: you didn't really believe i was a mccain bot, did you?

i saw the articles and i posted them. they're not random articles from five years ago, they are from today's top stories.

so you think if i had read the roll-call and saw john mccain also voted for it that i should not have posted the articles?

Its called concern trolling.

I was on message boards when that bankruptcy bill went down, and every single republican defended the Bush position - in favor of the bankruptcy bill.

The fact that they're "concerned" about it now, is disengenuous. If they were concerned about it, they would consider voting for Obama, who's the only one in this race who voted against it.

:lol: you didn't really believe i was a mccain bot, did you?

i saw the articles and i posted them. they're not random articles from five years ago, they are from today's top stories.

so you think if i had read the roll-call and saw john mccain also voted for it that i should not have posted the articles?

I didn't really think of you as a mccain bot per se, but it seems to me that if you were going to post an article calling into question the vote on a particular bill which may or may not make one candidate look bad you'd take the time to investigate how the other candidates voted on the issue as well, just to avoid the appearance of partisanship.

I didn't really think of you as a mccain bot per se, but it seems to me that if you were going to post an article calling into question the vote on a particular bill which may or may not make one candidate look bad you'd take the time to investigate how the other candidates voted on the issue as well, just to avoid the appearance of partisanship.

i can certainly understand the confusion, but i assure you i am just a regular person who doesn't always have the time to investigate the details of every article before i decide to post it. i don't think anyone is surprised to see that mccain voted in line with the republicans on this bill...but i confess my initial inspiration for posting a jab at joe biden had to do with that bogus thread about governor palin's baby. :tongue: shedding the light on anyone's voting record is never a "bad" thing, anyway you look at it.

Forum List

Back