Joe Barton (R-TX)

Idiot.

That is all...

Political pressure from the White House amounted to a shakedown. They didn't follow due process. Is that what the problem is?

While I don't necessarily disagree with this assessment, Barton did not do himself any favors by voicing this opinion, and certainly did none by referring to it as a "slush fund."

In the argument against it being a shakedown, I would point out that BP did agree to the fund and I am not completely convinced that they couldn't have said "No" had they really wanted to.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. It's somewhat unseemly, but I'm having trouble getting upset over it.

Idiot.

That is all...

mebbe....

Top Corporate Donor to Barton Is Partner of BP on Deepwater Horizon
by Nate Silver @ 2:26 PM

Ordinarily, it's not that shocking to see a Republican from Texas defend the petroleum industry. But Rep. Joe Barton's comments to BP CEO Tony Hayward today, in which he described it as a "tragedy" that a "a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown", has obviously touched something of a raw nerve, with Republicans already seeking to distance themselves from the comment while Democrats look for ways to exploit it.

Making matters worse for Barton is the identity of the top contributor to his election campaigns. Since 1989, it has been the company Anadarko Petroleum, from which he's received $56,500 in PAC donations and another $90,000 in individual contributions.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Top Corporate Donor to Barton Is Partner of BP on Deepwater Horizon

Idiot.

That is all...

Political pressure from the White House amounted to a shakedown. They didn't follow due process. Is that what the problem is?

While I don't necessarily disagree with this assessment, Barton did not do himself any favors by voicing this opinion, and certainly did none by referring to it as a "slush fund."

In the argument against it being a shakedown, I would point out that BP did agree to the fund and I am not completely convinced that they couldn't have said "No" had they really wanted to.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. It's somewhat unseemly, but I'm having trouble getting upset over it.

I listened to it again. I didn't hear 'slush fund' the first time. Yeah, that was stupid.

Someone who received over $1 million from Big Oil apologizing to his corporate masters? Not surprised. :lol:

A $20 billion slush fund shakedown with no legal standing and without precedent.

Bravo for him. :clap2:
Your GOP is no longer supporting your opinion. Even Michele Bachmann backed off he praise of BP after GOP leadership stood Barton in the corner.

A $20 billion slush fund shakedown with no legal standing and without precedent.

Bravo for him. :clap2:
Your GOP is no longer supporting your opinion. Even Michele Bachmann backed off he praise of BP after GOP leadership stood Barton in the corner.

No problem. His comment makes much more sense to me than some of the nonsensical comedy that Franken spews on occasion.

We will know it was a shakedown when the gov't thugs return for more $$$.

Personally I know it was... but this will just prove it. We just need to be patient, and wait for it to happen.
Thats how thugs behave.

Joe Barton is the Dixie Chicks of the Republican Party apologizing for his country to foreigners

2009-08-28-dixiechicks-thumb.jpg

I have to admit I'm stunned on this one. I can't believe that Republicans would side with a foreign oil company after BP created the largest ecological disaster in American history. Those companies had so little concern for America, part of their "disaster relief" plan was to protect Gulf Coast Walruses.

I've had suspicions for a few years that Republicans have been working with al Qaeda, but now, I think they are simply out to destroy this country. They hate America. What else could it be?

Time for a trip to the woodshed

Washington (CNN) - Under fire for appearing to shield BP from criticism Thursday morning, Rep. Joe Barton was told by House GOP leaders later in the day to apologize "immediately" or lose his position as the senior Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, several Republican sources tell CNN.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, delivered the pointed demand to Barton, a Texas congressman.

"He was told apologize immediately or you will lose your position immediately," said a Republican leadership aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

Washington (CNN) - Under fire for appearing to shield BP from criticism Thursday morning, Rep. Joe Barton was told by House GOP leaders later in the day to apologize "immediately" or lose his position as the senior Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, several Republican sources tell CNN.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, delivered the pointed demand to Barton, a Texas congressman.

"He was told apologize immediately or you will lose your position immediately," said a Republican leadership aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

He was apologizing for giving his true feelings? What a pussy.

He was apologizing for giving his true feelings? What a pussy.

Next up......Republican apology tour

Last edited:

Forum List

Back