Jobs waiting for workers!!!

Are you ready for the next question Conservatives?

Who foots the bill for the training?

Already answered that. Anyone on unemployment would probably be classified as needing assistance.

They need to pay people to work for them. It is as simple as that.

It looks like this company is trying to get free labor, iow, they want the unemployed to work for them and also collect unemployment. This is what Newt is trying to do as well.

Job creation will get people off of unemployment.

My son worked at a factory that paid for him to go to school to become an electrician. All he had was a high school diploma, and they helped him to get a job that's wanted by many companies. He decided to look for work someplace else because he was getting nowhere with the place he worked. Nobody had gotten a raise in 3 years, and he had all this training now as an electrician, but not paid for it. He put his resume out there and has gotten calls from several very good companies. He has a new job now making what he should be with his skills.
Some people know understand that many companies will help them go to school and help them move up on that ladder....but they have to pursue it, not just sit on their butts waiting for handouts.

Good for your son

More companies should get involved in financing the education of their workers

Problem with that is, many of those workers take that training and leave the company. The company I worked for would train people with no experience and no skills. Even though we paid top dollar for trained people, they were still using this job as a jump-off point to move on to other jobs. When a company invests time and money in your training, they would like to know they have the benefit of that investment, at least for a while.

Republicans have slashed funding for education in state after state and now, suddenly, education is the answer? Really? What made them finally figure that out?

Now, if they could only understand that it's "demand" that drives the economy. Not giving money to "job creators" (play heavenly music here).

:lol:

You have to be capable of learning to learn something.

I could go to the projects right now and those idiots would have a difficult time using a can opener to open a tin can...

I supposed you have to be eligible to be educated...

I love how progressives act like everyone has an IQ of 180 and its just the failing system that keeps them down or oppressed..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1CJf_Bs_A&feature=related]Michael Savage Takes Call Angry Ignorant Black Obama Supporter - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGYIicuAns]Michael Savage - Dumbest Caller Ever on Arizona Immigration Law - YouTube[/ame]

I think one of the reasons many employers are having difficulty finding qualified workers is because they are not offering the same pay and/or compensation packages they did previously. Workers who were laid off, fired, or quit, are now unwilling to take the jobs they held before for less compensation. I never did understand why someone would continue to take unemployment rather than find another job. Unemployment payments are generally significantly less than what a skilled worker can earn.

Now, my suggestion to improve the workforce:
First, recognize the division between academic and skilled labor requirements. Plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, and many other skilled workers do not need an advanced university degree. Second, establish a true apprenticeship program that provides both structured classroom instruction and hands-on training for jobs of this nature. Then let young people decide which career path they would like to pursue. At about middle school age, a battery of aptitude tests and career counseling should help them select their initial venture into the workforce. Training can be provided through public schooling and the trade unions could participate in administering the apprenticeship programs. Successful completion of an apprenticeship would entitle the participant to advance to journeyman level after successfully passing an appropriate skills test.
For those who have the aptitude and desire to excel in academic subjects, their schooling might take an entirely different path. Careers in the sciences, medicine, or others requiring extensive advanced knowledge would fall into this category.
Just some thoughts on how to improve education and job skills development.

I think one of the reasons many employers are having difficulty finding qualified workers is because they are not offering the same pay and/or compensation packages they did previously. Workers who were laid off, fired, or quit, are now unwilling to take the jobs they held before for less compensation. I never did understand why someone would continue to take unemployment rather than find another job. Unemployment payments are generally significantly less than what a skilled worker can earn.

First, recognize the division between academic and skilled labor requirements. Plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, and many other skilled workers do not need an advanced university degree. Second, establish a true apprenticeship program that provides both structured classroom instruction and hands-on training for jobs of this nature. Then let young people decide which career path they would like to pursue. At about middle school age, a battery of aptitude tests and career counseling should help them select their initial venture into the workforce. Training can be provided through public schooling and the trade unions could participate in administering the apprenticeship programs. Successful completion of an apprenticeship would entitle the participant to advance to journeyman level after successfully passing an appropriate skills test.
For those who have the aptitude and desire to excel in academic subjects, their schooling might take an entirely different path. Careers in the sciences, medicine, or others requiring extensive advanced knowledge would fall into this category.

And who are the greedy ones???

I love how some "people" believe the dollar doesn't fluctuate.. Not saying you but in general.....

Businesses are in business to make money and if they cannot afford to keep a person on the payroll they will be cut...

IMO, people should take anything they can get - even if it doesn't pay the mortgage.

IMO, the government is responsible for the lack of job growth - they have their hands out at all times promising redistribution of wealth.

My son worked at a factory that paid for him to go to school to become an electrician. All he had was a high school diploma, and they helped him to get a job that's wanted by many companies. He decided to look for work someplace else because he was getting nowhere with the place he worked. Nobody had gotten a raise in 3 years, and he had all this training now as an electrician, but not paid for it. He put his resume out there and has gotten calls from several very good companies. He has a new job now making what he should be with his skills.
Some people know understand that many companies will help them go to school and help them move up on that ladder....but they have to pursue it, not just sit on their butts waiting for handouts.

Good for your son

Problem with that is, many of those workers take that training and leave the company. The company I worked for would train people with no experience and no skills. Even though we paid top dollar for trained people, they were still using this job as a jump-off point to move on to other jobs. When a company invests time and money in your training, they would like to know they have the benefit of that investment, at least for a while.

That was my son's situation...they paid for his training and said he would have to stay at least 2 years longer for them to pay for it. He MAY have to pay some of that money back tho, he's not sure yet, because he's leaving (starts his new job Monday). But like i'd said, he hadn't had a raise in 3 years, the company isn't doing all that well, so he decided he had to do something now. At the time he didn't plan to leave the company, he liked his job, but with things going downhill he has to think of himself and his kids.

It is one thing to require training but who is going to pay for it? People with no jobs? Will there be a guarantee of employment at the end of it? Has anyone asked Big G. these questions?
I am not necessarily against this but it would be nice if he has some details on his ideas. Is he just going to require people with no money to pay for training for jobs that may not be there? How does that help anyone?
If they themselves have to shell out money they do not have then there has to be some kind of expectation of success. Just be honest and say this is a scheme to pull the rug out from under them because that is what it is.
This is representative of the mentality of failure. We are not entitled to jobs; they are created by a need for products and/or services, by individuals and businesses with a profit motive. Unemployment insurance (which, by the way, is not an entitlement; your employer pays premiums into the system on your behalf) is a temporary program to get someone from one job to the next. That’s why it is generally only available for 23-26 weeks (about 6 months). During that time, you should be looking for work in your field, whatever that may be; that should be your full-time job, replacing your income. We certainly don’t want to have a training requirement during that period; presumably you already have a marketable skill. After 6 months, shouldn’t you be asking yourself whether your current field is still viable? At that point, a training requirement makes sense for both the government and the individual. You haven’t found anything in your field, so why wouldn’t you be willing to be trained in a new skill that may be marketable? It’s never a waste to learn something new even if it doesn’t lead to full time employment; besides what else have you got to do? The side benefit is that the public would no longer have the complaint that the unemployed are simply lazy and sitting home watching Oprah. Seems like a win-win to me, and I’ll bet that the number of people who get off unemployment sooner would save enough to pay for the training programs. And yes, I think private employers would jump at the chance to have a government-subsidized employee if they could get some work out of them now, and a future skilled employee later.

If I was an employer , I would be impressed with anyone who was trying to upgrade their skills. That would demonstrate and enthusiastic, determined and valuable eemployee.

I love how some "people" believe the dollar doesn't fluctuate.. Not saying you but in general.....

Businesses are in business to make money and if they cannot afford to keep a person on the payroll they will be cut...

IMO, people should take anything they can get - even if it doesn't pay the mortgage.

IMO, the government is responsible for the lack of job growth - they have their hands out at all times promising redistribution of wealth.

No argument here! I would not start a business knowing that any profit I made would be co-opted by a government that knew better than I do just how to reinvest it.
I personally work one full-time and one part-time job for "da man" and I run my own business as well. Guess I am ueber-greedy! Right now, I am trying to pay down the debt I incurred so that I can scale down and live off my business. I will not be "wealthy" but I will be comfortable. That's all I aspire to, comfort. But I do have obligations to settle before I get to that point.

Good for your son

That was my son's situation...they paid for his training and said he would have to stay at least 2 years longer for them to pay for it. He MAY have to pay some of that money back tho, he's not sure yet, because he's leaving (starts his new job Monday). But like i'd said, he hadn't had a raise in 3 years, the company isn't doing all that well, so he decided he had to do something now. At the time he didn't plan to leave the company, he liked his job, but with things going downhill he has to think of himself and his kids.

I don't think it unfair for an employer to expect, perhaps even contractually obligate, an employee to a period of employment in compensation for the employer paying for training. If the employee chooses to terminate his service prior to an agreed upon period, he should recompense the employer the cost of the training. If no raise was promised, no raise should be expected. But your son should move on to other employment as soon as he is able to or pay back some partial amount of the cost of his training. Fair IS fair. It goes both ways.

No argument here! I would not start a business knowing that any profit I made would be co-opted by a government that knew better than I do just how to reinvest it.
I personally work one full-time and one part-time job for "da man" and I run my own business as well. Guess I am ueber-greedy! Right now, I am trying to pay down the debt I incurred so that I can scale down and live off my business. I will not be "wealthy" but I will be comfortable. That's all I aspire to, comfort. But I do have obligations to settle before I get to that point.

Yeah right............

If you're successful at your ploy you will quit your other jobs and go into business for yourself.....

The notion you're attempting to "make what you need" is laughable...

If that is your goal you may as well set yourself up for failure...

Forum List

Back