Jobs Report "Frightening"

Umm run that chart back to 1999.

I'm not sure what that might prove. The Stimulus was sold as a fix-it for the situation as it existed in 2009. The world in 1999 was a different world.

After the DotComs bubble burst, the Y2K thingy ran its course and the 9/11 murders, the world changed.

You misunderstand it is to check job creations for a decade back and to show that is problem has been building for quite a while.

If all he did was lie, that would only mean he was a politician.

He asked for a trillion dollars to act a stimulus to keep unemployment under 8%. He got it. We are now above 10%. 20% of the male workforce is unemployed.

Either he lied and stole the money for his cronies or he's a stupid, inexperienced incompetent who got the money and spent it incorrectly. Either way, it's not doing any good for us, U. S.

Of course this is a seriously flawed argument, as you draw your own conclusions and then present a false choice based on those conclusions.

The other conclusion one could draw, of course, being the most obvious and logical conclusion, that the situation grew worse than anticipated, and that the administration had been overly optimistic at the beginning in order to keep up consumer confidence...

It would have surprised me greatly if his plan worked, but I would have appreciated the success. I disagreed with it at the start because it seemed to be a poorly concieved and obviously a pork laden gift pack for his cronies and party members. It obviously, in retrospect, was exactly what it seemed to be.

It is not, as all economic factors point to the fact that the economy is in fact recovering.

Disagreeing with an idea, watching it fail and saying that it failed is not belly aching. It's rational.

That is, if the idea actually failed. Stating that it failed prematurely is, in this case, an attempt to help the failure of said idea.

The steps of correcting a problem are:

Identify the problem.
Identify the cause.
Suggest a solution.
Create a plan.
Set measures of success (key success indicators or goals)
Implement the plan.
Track progress toward goal.

Set a schedule for periodic review to see if the plan is working or if it needs to be changed. Repeat the solution process on this periodic basis.

The stimulus identified the problem.

From that step forward, none of the steps were followed. We keep, however, throwing more money down the various holes to help to re-elect Democrats which was the actual goal of the Stimulus.

Are the experienced Thieves in Congress or the inexperienced thief in the White House more deserving of our trust?

All of these steps were taken. The people in charge honestly believe that the plan is working, which seems to actually be the case.

I would applaud protectionism. Our trade policies are EXACTLY why we are in this predicament and you rarely hear this from politicians. We had a U.S. representative named Martin Hoke who wanted to vote for WTO and free trade with China but voted against for his constituent's wishes. He was voted out the following term. What we need are more politicians who vote our wishes and not what they are told to by party leaders.

But.... until we stop penalizing companies for continuing to do business here we will continue to lose jobs.

Excellent, so would I, especially in the case of China.

I am also a proponent of my own idea, a graduated Capital Gains tax that rewards companies with workforces inside the United States.

For instance, a company with 100% of it's workforce in the US would have a capital gains tax rate of 10% on it's stock, while a company with 100% of it's workforce outside the US would have a capital gains tax rate equal to income tax levels, with several graduated levels in between. This would encourage continued investment in American jobs by rewarding the shareholders for keeping jobs here.

I would applaud protectionism. Our trade policies are EXACTLY why we are in this predicament and you rarely hear this from politicians. We had a U.S. representative named Martin Hoke who wanted to vote for WTO and free trade with China but voted against for his constituent's wishes. He was voted out the following term. What we need are more politicians who vote our wishes and not what they are told to by party leaders.

But.... until we stop penalizing companies for continuing to do business here we will continue to lose jobs.

Excellent, so would I, especially in the case of China.

I am also a proponent of my own idea, a graduated Capital Gains tax that rewards companies with workforces inside the United States.

For instance, a company with 100% of it's workforce in the US would have a capital gains tax rate of 10% on it's stock, while a company with 100% of it's workforce outside the US would have a capital gains tax rate equal to income tax levels, with several graduated levels in between. This would encourage continued investment in American jobs by rewarding the shareholders for keeping jobs here.

would not work since most US companies do not have any employees outside the US aside from a few contacts with the actual manufacturer of the product which the manufacturer makes to the customer's (the US based importer/retailer) specs, label and all.

Most of the importers/retailers do not manufacture what they are selling at all.

would not work since most US companies do not have any employees outside the US aside from a few contacts with the actual manufacturer of the product which the manufacturer makes to the customer's (the US based importer/retailer) specs, label and all.

Most of the importers/retailers do not manufacture what they are selling at all.

A good point, but one could include outside contractors in the assessment.

The government creates nothing. The money to pay for these new employees comes from taxation or borrowing. Higher taxes discourage job creation, and government borrowing hurts private sector borrowing. Where do you think employers get money to expand? They borrow. When the Government is tapping vast amounts of available capital for it's needs, it raises the cost of credit for private borrowers. That destroys job creation.

When you buy your dinner with a credit card you are stimulating the local economy and you are feeding yourself temporarily. Eventually however, that bill is going to come due and if you cannot pay it, you've stimulated nothing except yourself.......That is what we have today.

But this is only true if you believe that the only jobs of worth in a society are those in the private sector. That is an ideological viewpoint, not necessarily a factual one.

Personally, being a veteran, I believe that there are in fact many jobs of worth that can be provided by government and can contribute to industry as well as the society as a whole.
Of course some public sector jobs are valuable. They still do not add to the economic output of the nation. You need private sector jobs to grow an economy. otherwise the government could just hire every unemployed person and the problem would be solved, right? :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Yes it could. This would just be another form of import tariffs though.

I am not saying that is good or bad, just is.

Yes it could. This would just be another form of import tariffs though.

I am not saying that is good or bad, just is.

True, true. Though I hardly think anyone could complain, as it would still be a tax on earnings of American citizens.

Job creation has improved dramatically?
It is different that unemployment

GDP, manufacturing, housing, the stock market, etc, etc.; all these things have improved dramatically.

Job creation has in fact improved, and unemployment has essentially stopped RISING, which is a big improvement in itself.

Most of the analysts were predicting that the unemployment rate would start to actually improve by the end of the first quarter of next year.

All of them also agreed, when it happened, that the .2% drop in unemployment in November was in fact in all probability an aberration. Nothing has changed since these analyses were made.

But the 24-hour news cycle loves a good story, and the public has a very short memory and attention span.

We're still losing job...just not as much. Job creation...no.

Forum List

Back