Jobs Report "Frightening"

Man you guys are funny.
So which is it? Government is or isn't the answer? In the mean time, go back to school and learn a trade.

KWITCHYERBELLIAKEN!!

Amen to that. Out of curiousity I went to the web page for the local scientific laboratory to see how many jobs were listed for computer science people. (I am a retired CS person). There were dozens. Minimum requirements include A COLLEGE EDUCATION. So again Amen to that. Learn a trade other than relying on government handouts.

And how much of that stimulus has yet to be spent?

That simply is yet another testimony to the utter inefficiency of government!

What is all that borrowed money doing???

You bemoaned the spending on credit - and yet the "stimulus" is just that.

You appear to suffer from highly selective outrage - for all the things you profess to dislike are being done by this administration and Democrat Congress many times over...

Yeah like that 1 trillion or so spent in Iraq? On a war for nothing? None of the origional ploys for the war proved to be true.

So that's an excuse to spend 2 trillion more? Ha ha ha ha ha:cuckoo:

Nope. But I was against spending that money.
Were you?

I think that if we have a war a war tax should be started up to cover the costs of the war. Paygo and balanced budget stuff.

Last edited:
yup...I'm against the government spending any more money on healthcare. Pass a law to make it mandatory, do some fucking tort reform and eliminate pre-existing conditions as a reason for disapproval. IT'S DONE AND SIGNED INTO LAW...not a 2,400 page PILE OF SHIT!!!!

Man you guys are funny.
So which is it? Government is or isn't the answer? In the mean time, go back to school and learn a trade.

KWITCHYERBELLIAKEN!!

Amen to that. Out of curiousity I went to the web page for the local scientific laboratory to see how many jobs were listed for computer science people. (I am a retired CS person). There were dozens. Minimum requirements include A COLLEGE EDUCATION. So again Amen to that. Learn a trade other than relying on government handouts.

Like mine, your comment was "ignored". It's much more fun to whine about "instrusive government" and then whine about "government not doing enough". But it's NOT a fine whine.

Look at this yearly job creation chart folks.

The Obama administration's porkulus bill has done NOTHING to stem the tide of jobless Americans, and in fact, may have worsened it as every dollar taken by government is a dollar taken out of the private sector which is the true engine for a robust economy.

This graph clearly shows a strong and steady decline downward for job creation throughout the year. This administration and the Democrat Congress are failing the country.

jobs-lost-december-09.gif

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/jobs-lost-december-09.gif

Ummm...

The results for the 4th quarter, when taken as a whole, were quite good, in fact..

Talk about spinning. "Frightening"? LOL.

Shhhhh.....we all want the economy to fail

Unemployment rates for the major worker groups--adult men (10.2 percent),
adult women (8.2 percent), teenagers (27.1 percent), whites (9.0 percent),
blacks (16.2 percent), and Hispanics (12.9 percent)--showed little change in
December. The unemployment rate for Asians was 8.4 percent, not seasonally
adjusted. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)

Among the unemployed, the number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27
weeks and over) continued to trend up,
reaching 6.1 million. In December, 4 in
10 unemployed workers were jobless for 27 weeks or longer
Employment Situation Summary

539,000 jobs were lost in total vs. 663,00 jobs last month.
110,00 construction jobs were lost vs. 126,000 last month.
149,000 manufacturing jobs were lost vs. 161,000 last month.
269,000 service providing jobs were lost vs. 358,000 last month.
47,000 retail trade jobs were lost vs. 48,000 last month.
122,000 professional and business services jobs were lost vs. 133,000 last month.
15,000 education and health services jobs were added vs. 8,000 added last month.
44,000 leisure and hospitality jobs were lost vs. 40,000 last month.
72,000 government jobs were added vs. 5,000 lost.
The reason why Job losses slowed last month. Government jobs created. - Stormfront

While not 700K to be sure, the fastest growing jobs sector is Govt and continues to be, and at some point the nation must begin to temper that. With the addition of new legislation in the healthcare sector, and the proposed environmental sector as well as the IRS to oversee it, then the nations Govt. worker sector will continue to outpace the private sector and this does not bode well for long term health.

122,000 professional and business services jobs were lost vs. 133,000 last month.
15,000 education and health services jobs were added vs. 8,000 added last month.
The reason why Job losses slowed last month. Government jobs created. - Stormfront

While not 700K to be sure, the fastest growing jobs sector is Govt and continues to be, and at some point the nation must begin to temper that. With the addition of new legislation in the healthcare sector, and the proposed environmental sector as well as the IRS to oversee it, then the nations Govt. worker sector will continue to outpace the private sector and this does not bode well for long term health.

Though it does bode well for an engorged voting block of government dependent workers, yes?

Though it does bode well for an engorged voting block of government dependent workers, yes?

Still, there was a big jump in temporary hiring, with 46,500 extra jobs, bringing the total increase in temporary employment to 166,000 since July. It's a closely watched number, because as economist Hugh Johnson points out, "Temporary help will become permanent help."

Johnson adds that that the government's 2010 census should also provide another boost. "The government will be hiring over a million people in the first and second quarter of 2010," he says. "So, at least for the short-term, we'll start to see some fairly strong numbers."
Surprise Fall In Jobs Does Not Dash Recovery Hopes : NPR

At some point there will need to be a tax base to pay for all these Govt. jobs from the private sector. Many talk of a housing bubble, the tech bubble, are we not by hiring all these Govt. workers creating a hiring bubble? Why not direct our efforts into actually creating a stong economy once again, I submit that if the Govt. intends to spend money and they clearly do, then do so in a manner that will really create jobs and benefit people, like finally getting this nation off foreign oil , theres 750 billion a year. Take for instance if this nation decided to fund through grants, whatever the construction of 100 nuclear power plants, thats 20,000 new long term private sector jobs, to run the plants and countless numbers of private sector jobs to support it as well as the millions needed to construct it. Or perhaps rather than hiring a million people to walk around and knock on peoples doors for the census, how about requesting a bid from a private company to bid on the contract to conduct the census.

If I heard correctly this morning, UPS is about to raise the unemployed population by 1800...mostly management and office workers.

Here is a little something closer to home,

Honeywell Aerospace officials said Thursday that the 265-person layoff reported to the state of Arizona stems from work being shifted from Phoenix to locations in Mexico and Czech Republic.

Honeywell reported 265 layoffs to the Arizona Department of Economic Security under a federal law that requires employers to disclose large layoffs to impacted states.

Honeywell spokesman Bill Reavis the action is part of a 700-postion shift of aerospace positions from Phoenix to Chihuahua, Mexico, and Olomouc, Czech Republic.

Honeywell: 265-person layoff part of foreign shift - Phoenix Business Journal:

And the more we increase taxes, layers of regulations, etc the more jobs will leave this country.

We have been cutting our own economic throats for decades.

Sooner rather than later we will reach the tipping point - if we have not done so already...

Or that chart indicates what some economists have been warning about - a doube dip recession.

I hope not - I really do, but this jobs report is damn scary.

What of the post-holiday layoffs to be reported in January?

Good lord this could get bad very very quick.

Hopefully not, but this jobs report today was unexpected...

I'll admit that anything's possible, but I sure as hell won't base my long term predictions on an obvious one-month aberration that was probably caused by excessively over-optimistic hiring by retailers in November. The trend is clear, statistically, we seem to be improving on a month-to-month basis.

Forgive me for being an optimist, but I'm just seeing the cup as half-full. Besides optimism helps the economy, and frankly I want that to improve no matter who's in charge.

Forum List

Back