Jobs Report "Frightening"

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Today's jobs report shows a U.S. economy that remains quite weak and prone to a double-dip recession. What recovery has developed has proven both slow and shallow. The Obama administration, and the near-trillion dollar stimulus bill have done nothing but add to the overal debt burden. This, along with distractions such as health care reform, Gitmo, and Cap and Trade have simply mucked the works up at a time when the government should have been focused on the economy as its #1 priority. They did not do so, and now the American people are suffering under continued economic stagnation...

___

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. employers unexpectedly cut 85,000 jobs in December, cooling optimism on the labor market's recovery and keeping pressure on President Barack Obama to find ways to spur job growth.

...The unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent in December, but that reflected a surprisingly large number of people leaving the labor force.

Analysts polled by Reuters had expected nonfarm payrolls to hold steady last month, with the jobless rate edging up to 10.1 percent.

...For the whole of 2009, the economy shed 4.2 million jobs, according to the Labor Department's survey of employers.

The department's survey of households offered an even gloomier assessment of the job market, showing that 661,000 people left the work force last month.

The report showed there were 929,000 "discouraged workers" who had given up looking for a job, up from 642,000 a year earlier. Chris Rupkey, an economist with Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, called the rise in discouraged workers "a simply astonishing number that borders on the frightening."

"If they were still looking for work and counted as the unemployed, the unemployment rate would have been 10.5 percent," he said. "This clearly isn't your father's recession. It is looking more like your great-grandfathers. Brother, can you spare a dime?"

___

Full article here:

Employers unexpectedly cut jobs in December - Yahoo! Finance

Yep...where is pinquy for the spin!!!!!!!!!???????

After seasonal adjustments they lost another 85,000 jobs.....wow the recovery is gaining unprecedented momentum. STRAIGHT INTO THE CRAPPER.

After seasonal adjustments they lost another 85,000 jobs.....wow the recovery is gaining unprecedented momentum. STRAIGHT INTO THE CRAPPER.

Indeed - some hopeful economists were actually calling for net job gains - but in fact we lost nearly another 100,000 jobs.

Folks, this is getting rather serious, no? The same report also indicated that Europe was in even worse shape than we are. It appears those nations with massive centralized governments are cannabalizing themselves into 3rd world status.

Perhaps that is what some of you were hoping for?

Indeed - some hopeful economists were actually calling for net job gains - but in fact we lost nearly another 100,000 jobs.

Folks, this is getting rather serious, no? The same report also indicated that Europe was in even worse shape than we are. It appears those nations with massive centralized governments are cannabalizing themselves into 3rd world status.

Not hoping for but have seen coming for over a decade. This was a long time coming and will be a long time to recover from. If we ever fully recover.

I recall most of the "experts" predicting a recovery a couple of years ago. Pretty funny.

Yes the housing bubble will be just an adjustment, nothing to worry about.

Not hoping for but have seen coming for over a decade. This was a long time coming and will be a long time to recover from. If we ever fully recover.

I recall most of the "experts" predicting a recovery a couple of years ago. Pretty funny.

What has this Obama administration and Democrat Congress done to recover from what you say has been a "long time coming"?

Attempts to add yet another massive layer of centralized funding in the form of health care reform while both Social Security and Medicare are already broke?

Adding trillions more to the debt burden?

Please explain what the current crop of Democrat leaders have done to help "recovery" in America?

What has this Obama administration and Democrat Congress done to recover from what you say has been a "long time coming"?

Attempts to add yet another massive layer of centralized funding in the form of health care reform while both Social Security and Medicare are already broke?

Please explain what the current crop of Democrat leaders have done to help "recovery" in America?

HUH? Why would I bew defending those who helped to create the mess in the first place?

I include Republicans, Demoncrats and finiancial guru's.
And last but not least the American People for spending on credit like there is no tomorrow, embracing cheap chinese imports, and burning energy like fools.

Ummm...

The results for the 4th quarter, when taken as a whole, were quite good, in fact..

Talk about spinning. "Frightening"? LOL.

HUH? Why would I bew defending those who helped to create the mess in the first place?

And last but not least the American People for spending on credit like there is no tomorrow, embracing cheap chinese imports, and burning energy like fools.

So it would appear we agree that the Democrat leadership is only making a bad situation worse, not better, and that Obama is quickening the pace of eventual full on economic collapse.

So it would appear we agree that the Democrat leadership is only making a bad situation worse, not better, and that Obama is quickening the pace of eventual full on economic collapse.

I do not agree with that.
I think the dems are trying to help the situation. Not doing great at it but doing far more than the obstructionist republicans.

TAX CUT!

Ummm...

The results for the 4th quarter, when taken as a whole, were quite good, in fact..

With revisions to October, however, the economy lost 1,000 more jobs than previously estimated over the two months.

Yeah - it has been worse than even the scary estimates.

Keep closing your eyes to the reality around you pard...

I think the dems are trying to help the situation. Not doing great at it but doing far more than the obstructionist republicans.

TAX CUT!

But the Dems are spending on credit to the tune of trillions, sending jobs to China by the thousands and thousands, embracing cheaper imports, and "burning energy like fools" as much as anyone prior.

So again, how are they "trying to help the situation"?

Ummm...

yep...270,000 people losing their jobs is great news isn't it you idiot!!!!!

Plus the million who gave up looking for work altogether...OUTFUCKINGSTANDING!!! Right???!!!!

Let's spend 2 trillion dollars on healthcare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Ummm...

Plus the million who gave up looking for work altogether...OUTFUCKINGSTANDING!!! Right???!!!!

Let's spend 2 trillion dollars on healthcare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Remarkable how utterly bereft of intelligence some are in her isn't it?

Today's jobs report is an unmitigated DISASTER.

It's getting very damn scary folks...

TAX CUT!

But the Dems are spending on credit to the tune of trillions, sending jobs to China by the thousands and thousands, embracing cheaper imports, and "burning energy like fools" as much as anyone prior.

Tens of millions are still eating because they get extended unemployment benefits. Which btw every dollar of that money is rapidly invested in the economy.
Unlike TARP Which I always opposed.

Too big to let fail is too big to let exist in my opinion.
I was also against the GM bailout.

Last edited:

TAX CUT!

Tens of millions are still eating because they get extended unemployment benefits. Which btw every dollar of that money is rapidly invested in the economy.
Unlike TARP Which I always opposed.

Too big to let fail is too big to let exist in my opinion.
I was also against the GM bailout.

I was against the bailouts also....but at least TARP is being repaid...unlike Stimulus 1. The extension of unemployment benefits is a good thing but when there are ZERO jobs to be had it makes spending 2 trillion dollars on a healthcare program look like utter stupidity at this point.

Ummm...

obama-kool-aid.jpg

Ummm...

Remarkable how utterly bereft of intelligence some are in her isn't it?

Today's jobs report is an unmitigated DISASTER.

It's getting very damn scary folks...

Yeah, you guys are right, I'm just "bereft of intelligence". I mean, it's just fucking stupid to look at long term trends, right? As opposed to reacting to every day's 24 hour news coverage?

chart_job_losses_010810_3.top.gif

Why that chart looks like a trend toward the better for me, with a large exceptional uptick during the pre-christmas season (what a surprise). Of course I'm just "bereft of intelligence".

Fucking morons.

Forum List

Back