Jobs in Demand vs Popular College Majors

I do have to say, Nurses can make pretty good money these days. My friend's mom makes around 120,000 a year as an OR nurse. If you are willing to travel, you can start at 50 to 80,000 a year.

Healthcare in general is a booming industry right now, at least in my area. If you don't want to go all the way through nursing school, you can go to tech school and be a medical assistant, phlebotomist, lab assistant, pharmacy assistant . . . all decent-paying and with lots of available jobs.

My struggle is trying to convince my high school senior daughter that theater arts is a one way ticket to living out of my wallet the rest of her life.

Her back up plan is to double major in fashion and journalism so she can be an editor at a fashion magazine.

:eusa_pray:

I auditioned for and accepted to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in 1975 and worked with Jean Smart (Designing Women), William Hurt (Academy Award Best Actor) and Bruce Abbot (Re-Animator) among others.

While it was one of the most fun summers of my life, I ended up eating nearly every meal at the rooming house where I lived. People actually walked up to me and interrupted my dinner while I was eating. Walking down the street with people pointing and bothering me. It was awful and scary. That was the end of that.

I ended up going into the military. At 30, I started going to Roosevelt University on the GI Bill at night and worked as an assembler during the day and now work as an engineer. I managed to squeeze a family into all that activity.

I say, let your daughter do what she wants. She will anyway. It might just make her a stronger person. Besides, what happens if she becomes successful? How will you look her in the eye. If you raised her right, the rest us up to her.

Every once in a while you post something truely amazing.

However, unlike your scenario, which sounds quite reasonable, because you used the GI bill, I don't think JW's daughter is considering paying her own way through school to get a degree in underwater basketweaving.

The worst are the kids who pay $100,000 for a degree in a field that will pay you $38,000 a year. Obviously math skills are not a requirement for these majors

Last edited:
neither a good living nor a 'serious' degree is for everyone. engineering is devoid of women for example. i mean a 150 kid lecture with 8-10 chicks.

neither a good living nor a 'serious' degree is for everyone. engineering is devoid of women for example. i mean a 150 kid lecture with 8-10 chicks.

Are you saying that women neither need a good living nor a serious degree?

If so, then why not?

Do they live off Male Engineers?

If so, then why not?

the whole thread is about needs vs. pursuits. i just think that the top-paying pursuits are not everyone's cake, particularly the math and science laden fields. women certainly don't pursue engineering like men do. a bit better in the sciences in general, but dismal still. i was there; they weren't.

in the end, what you study is not wholly what determines your lot, and individual interests have a greater impact on what people study. i do think that there's a stronger association between good jobs and a field of study for people who are concerned about their finances. for reasons to include being dependent on other people, women do seem more likely to pursue aimless, or less lucrative studies, but then again, so do the majority of college students.

However, unlike your scenario, which sounds quite reasonable, because you used the GI bill, I don't think JW's daughter is considering paying her own way through school to get a degree in underwater basketweaving.

She is actually my step dau. though I have raised her, taken responsibility for her, and love her as if she were my own since she was 7. For the longest she said she wanted to be a vet. Did extra well in science classes. Then her sperm donor...er father... told her that vets have to stick their hands up cows asses. I think she was 11. Stopped that idea right then and there. I wanted to choke the shit out of the asshole daily ever since.

"Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me ..."

She is actually my step dau. though I have raised her, taken responsibility for her, and love her as if she were my own since she was 7. For the longest she said she wanted to be a vet. Did extra well in science classes. Then her sperm donor...er father... told her that vets have to stick their hands up cows asses. I think she was 11. Stopped that idea right then and there. I wanted to choke the shit out of the asshole daily ever since.

So, how'd the Airforce Recruiter sound?

If so, then why not?

for reasons to include being dependent on other people, women do seem more likely to pursue aimless, or less lucrative studies, .....

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks for being real.

High Five

:eusa_hand:

So, how'd the Airforce Recruiter sound?

The more I think on it, the better it sounds.

Forum List

Back