Jobs in Demand vs Popular College Majors

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Note the HUGE GULF between the popular degrees, which are traditionally filled with FEMALE students (Social Studies, Communications, Nursing, Education, Psychology) and the best paying carreers, which are traditionally MALE occupations (Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry/Biology, Pilots).

Also note the descrpencies between popular majors, and better paying carreers: See how Computer Science and Engineering have WARNING LABLES: "sharp drops" and "aggressive math." In comparison, majoring in English is a "good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school."

Lets now take a look at the next top 10 paying careers in brief:

1. Pilots, co pilots and flight engineers
$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers
$78,410pa

3. Computer software and applications engineer
$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer
$70,520;
They are trained in biology as well as engineering and work to develop solutions to health problems.

5. Environmental engineer
$67,620
They work to fight damages to environment

6. Computer systems analyst
$67,520
Systems analysts ensure that organizations make the best of their technological resources

7. Database administrator
$61,950
Database administrators create and manage large quantities of financial, inventory and customer data.

8. Physical therapist
$61,560

9. Network systems and data communication analyst
$61,250

10. Chemist
$60,880

Compare this list to the 10 Top College Majors:

Top 10 Majors:
Business - Business Administration and Management is the most popular selected major. Business also includes finance, marketing, and accounting, which has a high demand right out of college. This can get you good paying job right from the start, especially with a business degree from a top business school.

Social Sciences and History - This includes anthropology, economics, geography, sociology and political science.

Education - Elementary Education is the most popular, as many of these majors go on to be K-12 classroom teachers.

Psychology - There seems to be two types of Psych majors. Those who are really into psych and those who see psych as an easy major and therefore an easy way to graduation. Many psych majors don't technically go on to work in the psych field, but other related careers where the skills of such major can come in handy (ex: human resources, public relations, market research and sales).

Nursing - The nursing field is competitive, and some programs may have wait lists. However, you are pretty much guaranteed a job when majoring in nursing due to the severe shortage of nurses.

Communications - also includes journalism, communications is one of the fastest growing majors in College.

Biology - Biology majors do a lot of research and development and work in a laboratory or the field. Common employers of biology majors include: hospitals, national & state parks, universities, pharmaceutical companies, research firms, aquariums and zoos.

Engineering - A major that usually produces a high salaried job from the start. But, plan on taking very aggressive math and science courses with this major.

English - An English major can be involved in copywriting, editing and teaching, but not just limited to that. Also a good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school.

Computer Science - A highly technical field involving a lot of advanced math and computer courses. Though, many universities have seen sharp drops in their computer science majors.

Is it really any wonder that graduates cannot find jobs???

My struggle is trying to convince my high school senior daughter that theater arts is a one way ticket to living out of my wallet the rest of her life.

Her back up plan is to double major in fashion and journalism so she can be an editor at a fashion magazine.

:eusa_pray:

My struggle is trying to convince my high school senior daughter that theater arts is a one way ticket to living out of my wallet the rest of her life.

Her back up plan is to double major in fashion and journalism so she can be an editor at a fashion magazine.

:eusa_eh:

I have an 8 year old, so we have about 10 years before struggling with a similar dilemna; However, we've had friends whose daughter went down the "fashion and journalism" road.

If it makes you feel any better, she graduated and now works as a bartender in Austin making Magaritas for State Senators.......

They seem to pay well.

If she hasn't seen 'The Devil Wears Prada', make her watch it. :lol:

Yeah all we need are propellor heads in this society.

What a lovely world that would be, eh?

Yeah all we need are propellor heads in this society.

What a lovely world that would be, eh?

Are they employable?

propeller.jpg

I have an 8 year old, so we have about 10 years before struggling with a similar dilemna; However, we've had friends whose daughter went down the "fashion and journalism" road.

If it makes you feel any better, she graduated and now works as a bartender in Austin making Magaritas for State Senators.......

They seem to pay well.

This would be so much easier to deal with if she was a dullard - disappointing but easy - three kids by 21, working in a convenience store, 2nd divorce on the way, etc.

But, she is bright, inquisitive, book smart...

They seem to pay well.

This would be so much easier to deal with if she was a dullard - disappointing but easy - three kids by 21, working in a convenience store, 2nd divorce on the way, etc.

But, she is bright, inquisitive, book smart...

Yep, and you'd think the last people to pick a major in underwater-basketweaving would be the "bright, inquisitive, book smart." What a freakin waste....but, you never know, many 18 yo haven't a fuckin' clue, but after a couple of years may decide that earning a degree that will actually be valuable is worth it.

Of course, meantime, they've burned through a couple of years, and $$$.

This is why I'm going to STRONGLY suggest you get an Air Force recruiter to talk to her. JUST TALK, no commitment.

I would suggest that anyone that really wants to make a reasonable wage, and does not have the patience or money to do college look at the oppertunities in maintenance. Electricians and Millwrights may not be the most romantic of jobs, but the pay is high, and many jobs offer all the overtime that you are willing to work. Often such technician make more thoughout their lives than do college graduates. There are many community colleges that offer courses in these fields, and even a few, such as the Oregon Institute of Technology that offer 4 year courses, whose graduates often have very good paying jobs the day they graduate.

Maintenance people are the last fired and first hired. And it is very seldom that a person with multi-industry experiance will be out of work. And if you are competant, as long as you are physically capable of doing the job, age doesn't matter.

Sister did just that. 10 years into it she decided she wanted to go back to school, Columbia law.

Life is good when your parents will pay for TWO fully funded college educations.

Sister did just that. 10 years into it she decided she wanted to go back to school, Columbia law.

Life is good when your parents will pay for TWO fully funded college educations.

Did she finally get married?

Computer science major here, and I can tell you that the industry has been inundated by Indian immigrants, contractors, and outsourcing to Coasta Rica, or India. The government visa program annihilated American fortune in this particular industry by saturating the market with highly qualified but drastically underpaid immigrants.

They seem to pay well.

But do they tip well? :lol:

Note the HUGE GULF between the popular degrees, which are traditionally filled with FEMALE students (Social Studies, Communications, Nursing, Education, Psychology) and the best paying carreers, which are traditionally MALE occupations (Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry/Biology, Pilots).

Also note the descrpencies between popular majors, and better paying carreers: See how Computer Science and Engineering have WARNING LABLES: "sharp drops" and "aggressive math." In comparison, majoring in English is a "good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school."

Lets now take a look at the next top 10 paying careers in brief:

1. Pilots, co pilots and flight engineers
$99,400pa

2. Marketing managers
$78,410pa

3. Computer software and applications engineer
$76,310pa

4. Biomedical engineer
$70,520;
They are trained in biology as well as engineering and work to develop solutions to health problems.

5. Environmental engineer
$67,620
They work to fight damages to environment

6. Computer systems analyst
$67,520
Systems analysts ensure that organizations make the best of their technological resources

7. Database administrator
$61,950
Database administrators create and manage large quantities of financial, inventory and customer data.

8. Physical therapist
$61,560

9. Network systems and data communication analyst
$61,250

10. Chemist
$60,880

Compare this list to the 10 Top College Majors:

Top 10 Majors:
Business - Business Administration and Management is the most popular selected major. Business also includes finance, marketing, and accounting, which has a high demand right out of college. This can get you good paying job right from the start, especially with a business degree from a top business school.

Social Sciences and History - This includes anthropology, economics, geography, sociology and political science.

Education - Elementary Education is the most popular, as many of these majors go on to be K-12 classroom teachers.

Psychology - There seems to be two types of Psych majors. Those who are really into psych and those who see psych as an easy major and therefore an easy way to graduation. Many psych majors don't technically go on to work in the psych field, but other related careers where the skills of such major can come in handy (ex: human resources, public relations, market research and sales).

Nursing - The nursing field is competitive, and some programs may have wait lists. However, you are pretty much guaranteed a job when majoring in nursing due to the severe shortage of nurses.

Communications - also includes journalism, communications is one of the fastest growing majors in College.

Biology - Biology majors do a lot of research and development and work in a laboratory or the field. Common employers of biology majors include: hospitals, national & state parks, universities, pharmaceutical companies, research firms, aquariums and zoos.

Engineering - A major that usually produces a high salaried job from the start. But, plan on taking very aggressive math and science courses with this major.

English - An English major can be involved in copywriting, editing and teaching, but not just limited to that. Also a good gateway degree to graduate school, or law school.

Computer Science - A highly technical field involving a lot of advanced math and computer courses. Though, many universities have seen sharp drops in their computer science majors.

Is it really any wonder that graduates cannot find jobs???

I have one of those in that top ten...you have just justified my existence samson..U Da man.... ...:cool:

Did she finally get married?

yep..to an actor!

I auditioned for and accepted to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in 1975 and worked with Jean Smart (Designing Women), William Hurt (Academy Award Best Actor) and Bruce Abbot (Re-Animator) among others.

While it was one of the most fun summers of my life, I ended up eating nearly every meal at the rooming house where I lived. People actually walked up to me and interrupted my dinner while I was eating. Walking down the street with people pointing and bothering me. It was awful and scary. That was the end of that.

I ended up going into the military. At 30, I started going to Roosevelt University on the GI Bill at night and worked as an assembler during the day and now work as an engineer. I managed to squeeze a family into all that activity.

I say, let your daughter do what she wants. She will anyway. It might just make her a stronger person. Besides, what happens if she becomes successful? How will you look her in the eye. If you raised her right, the rest us up to her.

Journalism has a 33% hire rate, and competition in that narrow a field would be insane.

Now, a major in fashion marketing and retailing would at least qualify her for any middle/upper management position in . . . well, virtually any fashion retailing business. Being a cashier at WalMart sucks; being the manager of a division for WalMart is a whole 'nother story. And it's even nicer if you can wind up with someplace like Macy's or better.

My 3 year old girl looked me the other day and said. Daddy I want to fly planes.

I about shit myself

When he was three, my son told me he wanted to build spaceships. And I mean that in a completely serious sense. My brother-in-law is an aerospace engineer, designing airplanes for the Air Force, and my son has talked about doing the same for space exploration for years.

I do have to say, Nurses can make pretty good money these days. My friend's mom makes around 120,000 a year as an OR nurse. If you are willing to travel, you can start at 50 to 80,000 a year.

Forum List

Back