Jobless Discrimination? When Firms Won't Even Consider Hiring Anyone Unemployed

Yes it really is, when you have thousands of other applicants without any holes.

See? You really don't understand.

I guess not, I'm just glad I have a job than.:eek:
Maybe someday when you get a job with some responsibility for hiring and firing decisions, with your own ass potentially on the line for the decisions you make, you will begin to understand this subject.

Maybe so, I appreciate you guys who have this experience sharing the info though.

I guess not, I'm just glad I have a job than.:eek:
Maybe someday when you get a job with some responsibility for hiring and firing decisions, with your own ass potentially on the line for the decisions you make, you will begin to understand this subject.

Maybe so, I appreciate you guys who have this experience sharing the info though.
You just have to figure in the 1000s of applicants for maybe only one or two positions, how do you begin to work through them? And with only 2-3 weeks to fill these positions?

You start with some pretty basic stuff. Being on the shelf for 2 months or more is a real turnoff when you have 80% or more of the other applicants not having this issue. It's not personal, it's not labeling people losers, it's disqualification on a very basic thing.

You just have to figure in the 1000s of applicants for maybe only one or two positions, how do you begin to work through them? And with only 2-3 weeks to fill these positions?

You start with some pretty basic stuff. Being on the shelf for 2 months or more is a real turnoff when you have 80% or more of the other applicants not having this issue. It's not personal, it's not labeling people losers, it's disqualification on a very basic thing.

What could an unemployed person do to fill the gaps? temporary work? volunteer work?

What could an unemployed person do to fill the gaps? temporary work? volunteer work?
Damn right. Volunteer work while also job hunting looks really good on a resume. Working for a temp agency - this usually leads to a full time job for one of the clients of the agency. If I see this on a resume of a unemp, it gets my attention immediately.

It's about marketing yourself. You are unemployed, so your job now is to make yourself the most attractive product out there among the millions of potential others. You are in competition in the marketplace, with millions. If you show up with 2 months or more of nothing to document, what the hell is that? What have you been doing, just sitting on your ass collecting government checks?

I have been happily retired since 2004, I was only 42 at the time. But even today, I have that seven year gap on my resume filled, in case I for some bizarre reason have to put myself out there again. It'll never happen, but I am prepared anyway.

And that's it, in a nutshell - self reliance and preparation. Do you have that? Can you demonstrate it to me? You're not demonstrating it with a 2 month hole at the top of your resume.

Yes, it's somebody else's fault that you aren't working.

Loser.

How Christian

Indeed. Seems the majority of comments like Allie's come from those professing to be privileged to know what God expects. Somehow their behavior and beliefs are a bit of a conundrum.

Idiot doesn't understand the difference between 'unemployed', 'laziness', and those working sometime 60-70 hours a week for less than $1500 a month, before taxes! People in this position are not collecting UC, mine hasn't 'run out.' I've been working. I also still put in at least 20 hours a week on applications and trying to sell my home.

What I do find most interesting are those that think they are 'conservative' have contempt for those trying to address problems that are likely to face them in the future. They are the ones that fit the 'name calling' of reichwingers and such. They are put up as 'typical' of the tea parties. They are NOT. They are unthinking idiots that pontificated from their ass.

Most of those that are saying there are big issues to be addressed have openly said that 'laws' will not take care of the problems, only make it worse. There's every indication that the problem with jobs is not temporary and will get worse. As I wrote last evening, I certainly wish that those without the ability to see the differences get the first hand experience and that it's long enduring. They would need to be hammered to understand.

There's a world of difference between sitting back and collecting unemployment, food stamps, and waiting for foreclosure and actively seeking work, while working at whatever one can find for as many hours as it takes. All the time though, it still feels like you are unemployed.

Damn right. Volunteer work while also job hunting looks really good on a resume. Working for a temp agency - this usually leads to a full time job for one of the clients of the agency. If I see this on a resume of a unemp, it gets my attention immediately.

It's about marketing yourself. You are unemployed, so your job now is to make yourself the most attractive product out there among the millions of potential others. You are in competition in the marketplace, with millions. If you show up with 2 months or more of nothing to document, what the hell is that? What have you been doing, just sitting on your ass collecting government checks?

I have been happily retired since 2004, I was only 42 at the time. But even today, I have that seven year gap on my resume filled, in case I for some bizarre reason have to put myself out there again. It'll never happen, but I am prepared anyway.

And that's it, in a nutshell - self reliance and preparation. Do you have that? Can you demonstrate it to me? You're not demonstrating it with a 2 month hole at the top of your resume.

I appreciate your post, thanks for helping me understand this better and not cussing me out at the same time, I am only 29 so I am not as experienced as other posters on here might be.

Yes, it's somebody else's fault that you aren't working.

Loser.

How Christian

Indeed. Seems the majority of comments like Allie's come from those professing to be privileged to know what God expects. Somehow their behavior and beliefs are a bit of a conundrum.

Idiot doesn't understand the difference between 'unemployed', 'laziness', and those working sometime 60-70 hours a week for less than $1500 a month, before taxes! People in this position are not collecting UC, mine hasn't 'run out.' I've been working. I also still put in at least 20 hours a week on applications and trying to sell my home.

What I do find most interesting are those that think they are 'conservative' have contempt for those trying to address problems that are likely to face them in the future. They are the ones that fit the 'name calling' of reichwingers and such. They are put up as 'typical' of the tea parties. They are NOT. They are unthinking idiots that pontificated from their ass.

Most of those that are saying there are big issues to be addressed have openly said that 'laws' will not take care of the problems, only make it worse. There's every indication that the problem with jobs is not temporary and will get worse. As I wrote last evening, I certainly wish that those without the ability to see the differences get the first hand experience and that it's long enduring. They would need to be hammered to understand.

There's a world of difference between sitting back and collecting unemployment, food stamps, and waiting for foreclosure and actively seeking work, while working at whatever one can find for as many hours as it takes. All the time though, it still feels like you are unemployed.

Allie is a batshit crazy loon, you dont have to explain anything to her.

I appreciate your post, thanks for helping me understand this better and not cussing me out at the same time, I am only 29 so I am not as experienced as other posters on here might be.
When I was younger than you I saw the handwriting on the wall. Joe jobs aren't going to get you where you want to go - but first, you have to figure out where that is and have a PLAN. EARLY.

When you hit 40, that's too damn late. You got to project out the next 20 years, starting at age 25 or so. Establish where you want to BE at age 40, instead of sitting there at age 40 and only then starting to plan.

I learned this by analyzing older folks. My Dad, for starters. He was never out of work more than a couple of weeks. He always commanded a good salary for his services. But, he got into long-term debt, didn't save, and stayed in the paycheck-to-paycheck rut for his entire working life. And of course, I watched it grind him down. By the time he himself realized the problem, it was really too late in life to do much about it.

His theory was, long-term stability and not taking too many risks. He was never putting himself out there for hire while he was working. He used to criticize me for doing that. Hell, especially today, you HAVE to be doing that! I changed jobs alot more then he ever did, but then I am not 63 years old and still working essentially the same job for the last 30 years either!

The treadmill will kill ya early. My Dad only made it to 65.....

When I was younger than you I saw the handwriting on the wall. Joe jobs aren't going to get you where you want to go - but first, you have to figure out where that is and have a PLAN. EARLY.

When you hit 40, that's too damn late. You got to project out the next 20 years, starting at age 25 or so. Establish where you want to BE at age 40, instead of sitting there at age 40 and only then starting to plan.

I learned this by analyzing older folks. My Dad, for starters. He was never out of work more than a couple of weeks. He always commanded a good salary for his services. But, he got into long-term debt, didn't save, and stayed in the paycheck-to-paycheck rut for his entire working life. And of course, I watched it grind him down. By the time he himself realized the problem, it was really too late in life to do much about it.

His theory was, long-term stability and not taking too many risks. He was never putting himself out there for hire while he was working. He used to criticize me for doing that. Hell, especially today, you HAVE to be doing that! I changed jobs alot more then he ever did, but then I am not 63 years old and still working essentially the same job for the last 30 years either!

Well I spent 7 years in the Military, joined straight out of high school and than when I got out I worked for a workmans compensation company in Virginia for a year and a half, however that company shut down its offices and I was layed off. 6 months later I found a job working for the Government as a Federal Employee thank god, I was lucky because getting a job is very tough right now. My time in the Military counts towards retirement here which is good also.

Well I spent 7 years in the Military, joined straight out of high school and than when I got out I worked for a workmans compensation company in Virginia for a year and a half, however that company shut down its offices and I was layed off. 6 months later I found a job working for the Government as a Federal Employee thank god, I was lucky because getting a job is very tough right now. My time in the Military counts towards retirement here which is good also.

I'll tell you one thing about a Federal job. You never have to worry about stability. Your pay will generally not reflect market conditions, but the retirement is great and you have a lot of opportunity to shift to positions elsewhere in government without loss of benefits

I'll tell you one thing about a Federal job. You never have to worry about stability. Your pay will generally not reflect market conditions, but the retirement is great and you have a lot of opportunity to shift to positions elsewhere in government without loss of benefits

Exactly, you can go as high as you want to go in the system if you want to apply for other positions you can or you can stay where you are, I love where I am and this is hands down the best job I had in my life.

In your case I would apply my Dad's adage, "Stay Put." But you better still be applying mine, plan the next 20 years carefully. Stay OUT of debt, life frugal and spartan, SAVE and don't get entangled with the wild women. Entangled means kids, marriage, all that shit.

Look where you want to be at age 45 or so and be realistic. You don't need a McMansion, boats, fancy cars, all that shit. It costs me $700 a month to live right now. NO rent, NO mortgage, NO car payments.... NO payments of any kind. I paid cash for everything - house, land, vehicles, the modest toys I do have (Boating and fishing, camping was always a weakness) but remember, if you're not youthful enough to enjoy such a retirement, how is it worth earning?

You should take a really serious look at your priorities and PLAN OUT where you want to be in 20 years. And remember - everyone's plan is different, but not everyone's plan is realistic or attainable. This is very important, make it realistic. He who dies with the most toys, still dies anyway. The basic question is, "How much stuff and money do I really need..."

Last edited:
I am not saying the employer should be forced to hire someone because they are unemployed, I am just saying if an unemployed person goes to a job interview he shouldn't be automatically disqualified just because he happens to be unemployed, you are trying to twist this and make it look like I want unemployed people put in the front of the line.

Yeah. What law do you hope to pass to prevent this, like the one hinted in your op article, or are you just complaining to the world?

I'm not hoping to pass any law, you are the one complaining in this fucking thread not me pal. I created a thread to talk about this issue and if this makes you so angry and full of hate maybe you shouldn't post here, just saying. You have done nothing but put words in my mouth and create strawmen arguments throughout this thread.

So you say there is a problem but your not trying to propose a way to solve it and you know that there is nothing that can be done about it? So your bitching for no other reason but to bitch about it? You see, I dont understand this irrational manner of thinking. If I am wrong then WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE?

In your case I would apply my Dad's adage, "Stay Put." But you better still be applying mine, plan the next 20 years carefully. Stay OUT of debt, life frugal and spartan, SAVE and don't get entangled with the wild women. Entangled means kids, marriage, all that shit.

Look where you want to be at age 45 or so and be realistic. You don't need a McMansion, boats, fancy cars, all that shit. It costs me $700 a month to live right now. NO rent, NO mortgage, NO car payments.... NO payments of any kind. I paid cash for everything - house, land, vehicles, the modest toys I do have (Boating and fishing, camping was always a weakness) but remember, if you're not youthful enough to enjoy such a retirement, how is it worth earning?

You should take a really serious look at your priorities and PLAN OUT where you want to be in 20 years. And remember - everyone's plan is different, but not everyone's plan is realistic or attainable. This is very important, make it realistic. He who dies with the most toys, still dies anyway. The basic question is, "How much stuff and money do I really need..."

See thats my goal right there, my car is paid off and I am currently renting a house however I eventually want to own a home. I know because I am a Veteran I am entitled to a VA loan with no money down so my next goal right now is to buy a home, I never liked making payments on things I know too many people who make payments on everything they own their computer, their furniture, washer & dryer etc thats not what I want, I have always tried to make the least amount of paymens as possible. I really appreciate all your advice and it was all spot on. :thup:

Yeah. What law do you hope to pass to prevent this, like the one hinted in your op article, or are you just complaining to the world?

I'm not hoping to pass any law, you are the one complaining in this fucking thread not me pal. I created a thread to talk about this issue and if this makes you so angry and full of hate maybe you shouldn't post here, just saying. You have done nothing but put words in my mouth and create strawmen arguments throughout this thread.

So you say there is a problem but your not trying to propose a way to solve it and you know that there is nothing that can be done about it? So your bitching for no other reason but to bitch about it? You see, I dont understand this irrational manner of thinking. If I am wrong then WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE?

Last time I checked this was a message board buddy, I posted the article to discuss it and try to have a decent conversation about it. Only one bitching and moaning here is you champ.

See thats my goal right there, my car is paid off and I am currently renting a house however I eventually want to own a home. I know because I am a Veteran I am entitled to a VA loan with no money down so my next goal right now is to buy a home, I never liked making payments on things I know too many people who make payments on everything they own their computer, their furniture, washer & dryer etc thats not what I want, I have always tried to make the least amount of paymens as possible. I really appreciate all your advice and it was all spot on. :thup:
A Mortgage is exactly the long-term debt entanglement I preach for people to avoid. When you get ready to consider buying a home, you must know up front what it is to you. Is it an investment? Something you're going to turn around in a few years? Or is it a permanent abode you're going to keep? Do you plan to live in it for a few years, then lease it out to help cover payments on something a little better?

Like I said about the planning, few things are more important than planning of residency. You have to look into the future here too and set a modest goal. How many square feet of floorspace? How much land? What are the annual taxes on this property? Is the building maintainable? What kind of homeowner's insurance rates/coverage can you get? What's the utility cost history?

I paid cash for my modest home. It's 1,900 sq. feet, 3 BR 2 bath. It's a double lot, almost a half acre of land. Property taxes very low. Insurance covers what I paid, plus 50% more if total loss, for about $800 annually.

It's quite energy efficient, all electric... Largest light bill has been in the $200 range one really cold winter. It's very comfortable, no drafts, no leaks, nothing. It's been very inexpensive and easy to maintain thus far.

I've seen many people get into a house and just HATE it after only a short time. Place is eating their wallet up on maintenance costs, property taxes, insurance really high, and high utility bills. Because they didn't do their homework first. It's very important you know what you're doing on this. Investigation. Study. Planning. Means everything.

A Mortgage is exactly the long-term debt entanglement I preach for people to avoid. When you get ready to consider buying a home, you must know up front what it is to you. Is it an investment? Something you're going to turn around in a few years? Or is it a permanent abode you're going to keep? Do you plan to live in it for a few years, then lease it out to help cover payments on something a little better?

Like I said about the planning, few things are more important than planning of residency. You have to look into the future here too and set a modest goal. How many square feet of floorspace? How much land? What are the annual taxes on this property? Is the building maintainable? What kind of homeowner's insurance rates/coverage can you get? What's the utility cost history?

I paid cash for my modest home. It's 1,900 sq. feet, 3 BR 2 bath. It's a double lot, almost a half acre of land. Property taxes very low. Insurance covers what I paid, plus 50% more if total loss, for about $800 annually.

It's quite energy efficient, all electric... Largest light bill has been in the $200 range one really cold winter. It's very comfortable, no drafts, no leaks, nothing. It's been very inexpensive and easy to maintain thus far.

I've seen many people get into a house and just HATE it after only a short time. Place is eating their wallet up on maintenance costs, property taxes, insurance really high, and high utility bills. Because they didn't do their homework first. It's very important you know what you're doing on this. Investigation. Study. Planning. Means everything.

You are absolutely correct which is why I have not just rushed out and bought a house, even though I could with my VA loan. It's always been a dream of mine to own my own home but I want to wait until I am more financially stable and make some more $$$ at my job, when I buy a house its going to be a permanent thing and I know there is alot that goes into this. Well I am going to get out of here now and enjoy the long weekend, I appreciate all your advice and it was good talking to you. Have a good weekend my friend. :thup:

What risk? alot of the times people are unemployed because the company they work for shut down, not their fault.

In this employment environment, I would be more willing to consider someone who is unemployed if they have an otherwise stable employment record.

However, hiring someone who is unemployed is always a bigger risk. The "lost my job in a downsizing" is a catchall for you were first in line of unnecessary or undesirable workers.

I understand that but if you called the employees old company for a reference they would be more than willing to tell you if the guy was a shit bird or not.

No, the previous employer will not say anything negative about their former employee out of fear of being sued. The previous employer is also motivated to get that ex-employee a job to get them off of their unemployment insurance.

Forum List

Back