Jobless claims surge to a five-year high

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Jobless claims surge to a five-year high - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com

The Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of applications for jobless benefits soared to 448,000, an increase of 44,000 from the previous week. That was far worse than the decline of 8,000 that economists had been expecting.
The overall total of 448,000 claims for last week surpassed the previous high for the current slowdown of 406,000 in late March. It was the highest claims level since they totaled 450,000 the week of April 19, 2003, a period when the country was struggling through a jobless recovery following the 2001 recession.

Remember it was only January 2008 and the GOP candidates were all saying that Michigan was in a one state recession and the economy was strong? I knew that was a lie based on the news I was seeing. I knew Bush was using fuzzy math all along. Fudging the numbers. They weren’t counting people who stopped receiving unemployment benefits. They were counting all the new government jobs Bush created. Those jobs are a drag on all of us because tax payers pay those salaries. Same with Haloburton & Blackwater salaries. They said wages were up, but I didn't see anyone bragging that their wages were up. And they probably counted the minimum wage increase. And I knew the only jobs being added were low paying jobs.

Not to mention the dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore and the cost of living has gone up.

Sure, when you count the CEO’s now making $20 million and the vp’s now making a 5 million a year and all the guys directly below them now making $1 million a year and the guys below them making $500K a year. Sure wages may be up overall, but not the middle class’.

I just knew everything the GOP was saying was bullshit. Their economy was never strong the entire 8 years. Or if it was, they left us out. Time for a change.

No one is interested in this? Interesting.

What can any of us say?

Things are bad for some of us, some of us feel that all's right with the world.

Metrics don't matter, our perceptions do.
Just remember what a Republican president produced. And remember Republicans didn't want to talk about it and today they deny it was this bad when bush was president. That was a lost decade

Our economy continues to flounder, under big ears.

These nine charts expose the lies, but some still can't see the truth. If an R gets in the WH, the MSM will inform the dupes, but not until then.

20160301_obama_0.jpg

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... dat's what happens when the economy getting ready...

... to go inna tank - again."

These nine charts expose the lies, but some still can't see the truth. If an R gets in the WH, the MSM will inform the dupes, but not until then.

20160301_obama_0.jpg
Hmmmmmm. No source for any of your charts. Wonder why. Nah, I know why.

20160301_obama_0.jpg
yeah...it is all made up bullshit.

You keep telling yourself that.

20160301_obama_0.jpg
yeah...it is all made up bullshit.

You keep telling yourself that.

Is that what it is. Made up bullshit? I would not have known had you not told me. Thanks for telling me you are a dishonest stupid con tool. And here I thought you were just a stupid con tool.

So rational people do not provide information with no link, no source.
Honest people always provide a link, if asked.
Dishonest, or lying people, like con trolls do not provide links or sources. Because they want to keep them hidden.
So, as a dishonest con troll, what can one expect.

So, lets take one of your charts. You say health care is going up drastically. But impartial sources do not. The most authoritative and non partial source out there is the Kaiser Family Foundation, which states the following:

"Obamacare Isn't Driving Up Health Costs. Really.
By
Christopher Flavelle
Start with the basics. On average, the cost of employer-sponsored health insurance increased 26 percent from 2009 to 2014. But costs increased faster before the law was enacted: From 2004 to 2009, costs increased 34 percent. From 1999 to 2004, they went up 72 percent.

Those are averages; are premiums rising faster for small employers? Actually, the opposite is true. For companies with 200 workers or more, average 2014 premiums were $17,265, or 3.3 percent higher than in 2013. At companies with 3 to 199 workers, annual premiums in 2014 averaged $15,849 -- 1.7 percent more than in 2013, when average premiums were 2.2 percent higher than in 2012."
Obamacare Isn't Driving Up Health Costs. Really.

So, me boy, health care costs are rising much slower under Obamacare than it was prior to Obamacare.
And notice, I used an impartial source, and provided a link. Which is what prople with integrity do. And what people who have no integrity, like you, do not do.

Jobless claims surge to a five-year high - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com

The Labor Department reported Thursday that the number of applications for jobless benefits soared to 448,000, an increase of 44,000 from the previous week. That was far worse than the decline of 8,000 that economists had been expecting.
The overall total of 448,000 claims for last week surpassed the previous high for the current slowdown of 406,000 in late March. It was the highest claims level since they totaled 450,000 the week of April 19, 2003, a period when the country was struggling through a jobless recovery following the 2001 recession.

Remember it was only January 2008 and the GOP candidates were all saying that Michigan was in a one state recession and the economy was strong? I knew that was a lie based on the news I was seeing. I knew Bush was using fuzzy math all along. Fudging the numbers. They weren’t counting people who stopped receiving unemployment benefits. They were counting all the new government jobs Bush created. Those jobs are a drag on all of us because tax payers pay those salaries. Same with Haloburton & Blackwater salaries. They said wages were up, but I didn't see anyone bragging that their wages were up. And they probably counted the minimum wage increase. And I knew the only jobs being added were low paying jobs.

Not to mention the dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore and the cost of living has gone up.

Sure, when you count the CEO’s now making $20 million and the vp’s now making a 5 million a year and all the guys directly below them now making $1 million a year and the guys below them making $500K a year. Sure wages may be up overall, but not the middle class’.

I just knew everything the GOP was saying was bullshit. Their economy was never strong the entire 8 years. Or if it was, they left us out. Time for a change.
For Republicans who want to talk shit about how well Obama is doing, let me take you back to 2008 and remind you how Republicans really sucked.

2008 jobless claims jump, no Cry's from Republicans. 2016 jobless claims fall to 4 decade low, Republicans not impressed. That's all I need to know.

What can any of us say?

Just remember what a Republican president produced. And remember Republicans didn't want to talk about it and today they deny it was this bad when bush was president. That was a lost decade
In November, 2007, just as we were about to enter one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, there were 12,922,140 included in the U-6 under/unemployment rate. By the end of Bush's Great Recession, there were 25,492,830. 12.6 million people either lost their job, became discouraged or marginally attached to the labor force, or took a part time job for economic reasons.

Since that time, the number has dropped to 15,371,202, or a decline of 10.1 million.

What can any of us say?

In November, 2007, just as we were about to enter one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, there were 12,922,140 included in the U-6 under/unemployment rate. By the end of Bush's Great Recession, there were 25,492,830. 12.6 million people either lost their job, became discouraged or marginally attached to the labor force, or took a part time job for economic reasons.

Since that time, the number has dropped to 15,371,202, or a decline of 10.1 million.
I know so many blue collar uneducated guys who used to make good money working for the big 3 or Detroit news or a million other good paying manufacturing jobs, mostly unions, they lost their jobs and now the best they can find is under the table manual labor, painters, or now they work at a non union factory making half what they used to.

Please tell me what trump is going to do for these people

What can any of us say?

I also specifically remember making fun of Bush's job numbers because his economy was more of a service based economy. You want fries with that? Those were the kinds of jobs he added. What he eliminated were good jobs. Remember Romney and bain capital?

Oh, and when they say wages went up under bush that's true. CEO pay

What can any of us say?

I also specifically remember making fun of Bush's job numbers because his economy was more of a service based economy. You want fries with that? Those were the kinds of jobs he added. What he eliminated were good jobs. Remember Romney and bain capital?

You have to go back to Herbert Hoover to find a president with a worse record on jobs as Bush. And as bad as Bush's numbers were (1.3m jobs gained in 8 years. .5m private sector jobs lost in 8 years), they were propped up by the housing bubble. That's why I can't help but laugh at rightwingnuts who bitch and moan about Obama.

We are adding jobs every month and unemployment is going down. I don't see a crash coming.

But back in 2008 you didn't see a crash coming even though the signs were everywhere.

What can any of us say?

I know so many blue collar uneducated guys who used to make good money working for the big 3 or Detroit news or a million other good paying manufacturing jobs, mostly unions, they lost their jobs and now the best they can find is under the table manual labor, painters, or now they work at a non union factory making half what they used to.

That's a great question.

I also wonder what it is that people think our buying power is now.

Even union people with good paying jobs didn't have the kinds of toys their brothers have today.

Some of it has to do with having their wives work.

But, I just have to wonder what the comparative buying power is.

What can any of us say?

That's a great question.

Even union people with good paying jobs didn't have the kinds of toys their brothers have today.

You ready for this? Half of Americans would have a hard time coming up with $400 in an emergency.

That includes some people who make $100,000 a year. They might have mortgage, car payments, credit card debt, paying for school, cable, internet, food, etc. They may be living paycheck to paycheck too.

My mom has late stage Alzheimer's. She couldn't stay at home so we had to find a place. My dad had to pay 2 months up front. $21,500. How many Americans could write that check?

I don't think she's going to last a week. Thank god both because she's suffering and she's eating up their savings. Sorry to be a bummer and bring that up.

What can any of us say?

You have to go back to Herbert Hoover to find a president with a worse record on jobs as Bush. And as bad as Bush's numbers were (1.3m jobs gained in 8 years. .5m private sector jobs lost in 8 years), they were propped up by the housing bubble. That's why I can't help but laugh at rightwingnuts who bitch and moan about Obama.
Bernie just took unfair trade back from trump!

What can any of us say?

That's a great question.

You ready for this? Half of Americans would have a hard time coming up with $400 in an emergency.

That includes some people who make $100,000 a year. They might have mortgage, car payments, credit card debt, paying for school, cable, internet, food, etc. They may be living paycheck to paycheck too.

My mom has late stage Alzheimer's. She couldn't stay at home so we had to find a place. My dad had to pay 2 months up front. $21,500. How many Americans could write that check?

I don't think she's going to last a week. Thank god both because she's suffering and she's eating up their savings. Sorry to be a bummer and bring that up.

So sorry. Honestly, that is tough. And among the 35 advanced countries of the world, only in the US. Every where else cost would be zero. The leading cause of bankruptcy is medical bills.

On my own, I managed to cheat the grim reaper a couple years ago. Had a major heart attack, ambulance ride, emergency open heart surgery, triple bypass. No big deal, but the bill was amazing. Over 350,000 bucks. I had just qualified for Medicare, 5 months before. I paid about zero. Five months earlier, I would have been on the hook for that and lots more post op. So, I really understand your fathers pain. Best of luck, buddy.

Forum List

Back