Job interview help...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I am looking to change jobs, because of problems with my current employer. Those problems may be resolved by the end of next week, but I have had it with working with a bunch of immature, back stabbing people, including managers, who make working there, miserable. I believe going to your job every day should not make you want to curl up and die, and make you come home in tears nearly every night. Even if the issues are resolved, I no longer trust my co-workers to be confidential about things, with the exception of one person. But that is not enough to make me want to stay. I basically would have to isolate myself, not talk to anyone, no socializing, nothing.

I am sure to get many interviews, guaranteed with all of them, including application questions, as to why I am looking to leave my current job. I want to be 100% honest, but I don't want to sound like I don't 'get along' with co-workers, as I have never had this problem in the past.

I really want to just say, I am sick of all the office politics and bs, and I didn't think it was the best environment for me to be in, being 9 weeks pregnant. I am wondering if the stress alone working there, is what has made my morning sickness as bad as it is. I tend to be fine at home.

How could I answer this question? Any ideas? Thanks!

fuzzykitten99 said:
I am looking to change jobs, because of problems with my current employer. Those problems may be resolved by the end of next week, but I have had it with working with a bunch of immature, back stabbing people, including managers, who make working there, miserable. I believe going to your job every day should not make you want to curl up and die, and make you come home in tears nearly every night. Even if the issues are resolved, I no longer trust my co-workers to be confidential about things, with the exception of one person. But that is not enough to make me want to stay. I basically would have to isolate myself, not talk to anyone, no socializing, nothing.

I am sure to get many interviews, guaranteed with all of them, including application questions, as to why I am looking to leave my current job. I want to be 100% honest, but I don't want to sound like I don't 'get along' with co-workers, as I have never had this problem in the past.

I really want to just say, I am sick of all the office politics and bs, and I didn't think it was the best environment for me to be in, being 9 weeks pregnant. I am wondering if the stress alone working there, is what has made my morning sickness as bad as it is. I tend to be fine at home.

How could I answer this question? Any ideas? Thanks!

You don't think applying for a job being 9 weeks pregnant is a bigger deterent for future employers?

In the event of being asked why you are leaving, I would just say it's time to move on to other things. It is true, for the most part. You really don't want to get into a story about the unpleasent work environment your in right now, that doesn't sound good either.

Or, you could stick it out, and not go back when your mat-leave is up, that's what I did and I worked for the city. Barf.

IMO, you're better off sticking it out.. Your new employer is going to have to find a replacement for you within about 6 months or so, and that's a major inconvenience to them, so what would be the point in them hiring you?

Said1 said:
You don't think applying for a job being 9 weeks pregnant is a bigger deterent for future employers?

In the event of being asked why you are leaving, I would just say it's time to move on to other things. It is true, for the most part. You really don't want to get into a story about the unpleasent work environment your in right now, that doesn't sound good either.

Or, you could stick it out, and not go back when your mat-leave is up, that's what I did and I worked for the city. Barf.

no, because they cannot discriminate against you. plus, i have 3 job leads already. one is with the co. that my mother-in-law works for, and they would already know i am pregnant (MIL is super happy, and tells the whole world :rolleyes: ) , but i know her boss/the owner as well, and I know they wouldn't not hire me based on my condition. I have lots of experience in their line of work, and my husband's friend works for them too, and he knew nothing, nor had any experience with the same job when he started. Plus this job would allow me to work from home, and I would get a company car, because the job requires me to travel to different county offices several times a day.

the other 2 job leads are with the county in which i live in. I am early enough, not showing, to where I would not say anything to them during the interview, not until i would be hired. it is not like i would be lying, because they are not allowed to ask personal q's like that anyway. I would be like, I just found out I am preggers, and due on this date.

as far as healthcare, i looked into the situation, and no insurance through an employer (esp the state/county workers) can deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions. basically, to do so, would break several federal and state laws.

Hate to be a bummer but.....

I second the vote for sticking it out. I would be shocked if someone would hire you knowing that you will be off for 6 weeks once you have the baby.

Sounds cruel..but it's true. I have done my share of hiring/firing and I have had women walk in at various stages of pregnancy.

I haven't had one yet that blew me away to the point that I would hire her. Now, you might be that one person who is incredibly intelligent, witty, and does a killer interview.

However......MOST people won't touch anyone who is pregnant.

Shattered said:
IMO, you're better off sticking it out.. Your new employer is going to have to find a replacement for you within about 6 months or so, and that's a major inconvenience to them, so what would be the point in them hiring you?
i'm not staying home after the baby is born, i have to return to work. so my leave would be short.

that depends on where i go, and what i do. say i get the job with my MIL...all they would do, is assign the jobs to other reps for the time i am gone, as it takes a couple months to fully learn the job. i am sure it is the same with the other 2

GotZoom said:
Hate to be a bummer but.....

I second the vote for sticking it out. I would be shocked if someone would hire you knowing that you will be off for 6 weeks once you have the baby.

Sounds cruel..but it's true. I have done my share of hiring/firing and I have had women walk in at various stages of pregnancy.

I haven't had one yet that blew me away to the point that I would hire her. Now, you might be that one person who is incredibly intelligent, witty, and does a killer interview.

I agree, my condition was exceptional. It was supposed to be two weeks only. There was a staff rotation due to another girl leaving on "sick leave" so I stayed for another 6 months in a position that was vacated due to staff rotation. They weren't happy to find out I was pregnant though!

GotZoom said:

which is why i am not going to say anything until i am hired, because i am early enough along, and i am not showing. if they give me crap afterwards, then it is harrassment, and they can't fire me because i tell them a week later that I am preggers, that would be discrimination

Third vote..Stay.

You really have no choice at this point, unless you just want to quit.

Time for a hormone level check, kid. That Preg stuff is like that, ya know?

fuzzykitten99 said:
which is why i am not going to say anything until i am hired, because i am early enough along, and i am not showing. if they give me crap afterwards, then it is harrassment, and they can't fire me because i tell them a week later that I am preggers, that would be discrimination

Why would you purposely deceive someone like that just to get your way? It's rather catty, if you ask me... (sorry, I can't come up for another word for it right now.)

fuzzykitten99 said:

And then you have a working environment that is just as unpleasent as your present one. Is it worth it?

Mr. P said:
Third vote..Stay.

You really have no choose at this point, unless you just want to quit.

Time for a hormone level check, kid. That Preg stuff is like that, ya know?

it isn't hormones.
this has been going on since about my 3rd month there, last year. But i have stuck it out this far, thinking things will get better. i was so wrong. Today was the last straw.

Do you really think it is beneficial to me and the baby to be stressed out 8 hours a day, because of my co-workers and managers? Even if the issues get straightened out, I will basically have to totally isolate myself because I no longer feel friendly to anyone there, based on their backstabbing, ruthless behavior. HR is already involved, but I am just about ready to give up, as i am sick of it all and just don't want to deal with it.

Personally, i don't think it is worth my health and sanity. Even Tim is begging me to find a different job because he hates to see me so upset all the time, hating where I work.

Said1 said:
And then you have a working environment that is just as unpleasent as your present one. Is it worth it?

who says it would be that way?

i really don't think working at the county office, i would encounter problems, because it is a union job. I am not fond of unions, but whatever. the jobs are way better paying too.

the job with my mil, their boss/owner treats his employees like gold. My MIL gets to go to Lake Tahoe for 3 days, with other co-workers, because of good performance and sales. He has a 4br/4ba lake condo up north that employees can use for FREE. Including the boat and other toys, as long as they pay their own fuel usage.

fuzzykitten99 said:

i really don't think working at the county office, i would encounter problems, because it is a union job. I am not fond of unions, but whatever. the jobs are way better paying too.

the job with my mil, their boss/owner treats his employees like gold. My MIL gets to go to Lake Tahoe for 3 days, with other co-workers, because of good performance and sales. He has a 4br/4ba lake condo up north that employees can use for FREE. Including the boat and other toys, as long as they pay their own fuel usage.

You're the one talking about harrasement and not being forward about your condition. I've been in this exact same situation, with a city union job - they were not happy to find out I was pregnant.

If your after perks, go with the condo. Maybe you should have made the switch before you decided to have another baby.

fuzzykitten99 said:
it isn't hormones.
this has been going on since about my 3rd month there, last year. But i have stuck it out this far, thinking things will get better. i was so wrong. Today was the last straw.

Do you really think it is beneficial to me and the baby to be stressed out 8 hours a day, because of my co-workers and managers? Even if the issues get straightened out, I will basically have to totally isolate myself because I no longer feel friendly to anyone there, based on their backstabbing, ruthless behavior. HR is already involved, but I am just about ready to give up, as i am sick of it all and just don't want to deal with it.

Personally, i don't think it is worth my health and sanity. Even Tim is begging me to find a different job because he hates to see me so upset all the time, hating where I work.
Who has the Company health insurance, you or Tim?

fuzzykitten99 said:

He probably already knows you are pregnant since you MIL announced it right? Double check with her..if he knows. I say go talk to him anyway. You might just be able to impress him enough that he will "ignore" the pregnancy.

It sounds like a good job - might not want to wait until after the baby to apply.

i have myself and my son on my insurance.

i am not looking just for the perks, i am looking at how my MIL's boss, his name is Tony, treats his employees. I am 100% certain that he knows about the pregnancy, because Tim brother works for him as well, in the other company. I seriously doubt that would deter him from hiring me. I have even met him, as Tim worked for him, doing lawn care and handy-man stuff around his house in high school. Occasionally I would go with him, and he let us take a swim in his pool, hot tub, etc. afterward. He always paid Tim much more than Tim would have working at some hourly job. He's a really nice guy, from New York actually.

The thing about deciding to have another baby and the timing of thinking about leaving, is only because the BS really started to hit the fan on Thursday, and getting so bad, that Tim is the one who really wants me to find a new job. It was his idea. I am not searching very hard, as I am hoping the conversation today, that I will have with HR and many of the upper-levels, will put an end to the BS I put up with on a daily basis. Plus I have a co-worker who is backing me 100%, and will willingly join me in the meeting if I ask or the management asks.

I would not have even thought of leaving until after the baby is born, until Thursday last week. I thought this BS was done or at least settled down a bit.

Like I said, I am not really out there, trying too hard, as I am willing to stick it out, as long as the issues are at least aired out and talked about. But because this whole thing is really making me feel ill all the time, I think it might be best just to leave. I don't know. I just don't want to feel this way anymore.

Forum List

Back