Jimmy Carter's Op-Ed On Gaza War

Oh c'mon, you know what I mean. Who is he now that we should care? He gets his opinion reported on as news, no one reports on my opinion. Outside of this message board no one ever even hears my opinion, but Carter can get an Op-Ed piece published whenever he wants to.

He's an ex-president, you're not .. and he has more experience and accomplishment on the ME than any American president alive, if not throughout history.

You appear to write well and articulate your thoughts well. You can write Op-Eds yourself .. and get them published.

I don't understand why anyone cares what Carter thinks now. Does he have any sort of power? Is there anything that he can actually do?

You dont need a position of power to influence people. Writing is very powerful. It can persuade people more than the use of force.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!

I have never heard that one before.

Clinton gets a pass from the right because its all Jimmys fault?

You think Bush and Clinton havent added to the problems of the US? You think that somehow makes up for Carter's blunders?

This cult of personality worship on the left is really creepy.

You dont need a position of power to influence people. Writing is very powerful. It can persuade people more than the use of force.

True, but that doesn't answer my question. People put weight behind what Carter says... why? Why does anyone care?

Uh-Oh

Could this be true?

Obama Is 'Prepared to Talk to Hamas'

The incoming Obama administration is prepared to abandon George Bush's *doctrine of isolating Hamas by establishing a channel to the Islamist organisation, sources close to the transition team say.

The move to open contacts with Hamas, which could be initiated through the US intelligence services, would represent a definitive break with the Bush *presidency's ostracising of the group. The state department has designated Hamas a terrorist organisation, and in 2006 *Congress passed a law banning US financial aid to the group.

The Guardian has spoken to three *people with knowledge of the discussions in the Obama camp. There is no talk of Obama approving direct diplomatic negotiations with Hamas early on, but he is being urged by advisers to initiate low-level or clandestine approaches, and there is growing recognition in Washington that the policy of ostracising Hamas is counter-productive. A tested course would be to start *contacts through Hamas and the US intelligence services, similar to the secret process through which the US engaged with the PLO in the 1970s. Israel did not become aware of the contacts until much later.

-- more at link
Barack Obama administration 'prepared to talk to Hamas' | World news | guardian.co.uk

As usual, if you want to know what's going on in American government you've gotta read the foreign press.

Uh-Oh

Could this be true?

Wouldnt be surprised if it is true. From What ive heard Obama has said he will speak to them without preconditions, so naturally they put up some preconditions that he has to meet before they will speak to him.

Got to love the irony there.

Uh-Oh

Could this be true?

The incoming Obama administration is prepared to abandon George Bush's *doctrine of isolating Hamas by establishing a channel to the Islamist organisation, sources close to the transition team say.

The move to open contacts with Hamas, which could be initiated through the US intelligence services, would represent a definitive break with the Bush *presidency's ostracising of the group. The state department has designated Hamas a terrorist organisation, and in 2006 *Congress passed a law banning US financial aid to the group.

The Guardian has spoken to three *people with knowledge of the discussions in the Obama camp. There is no talk of Obama approving direct diplomatic negotiations with Hamas early on, but he is being urged by advisers to initiate low-level or clandestine approaches, and there is growing recognition in Washington that the policy of ostracising Hamas is counter-productive. A tested course would be to start *contacts through Hamas and the US intelligence services, similar to the secret process through which the US engaged with the PLO in the 1970s. Israel did not become aware of the contacts until much later.

-- more at link
Barack Obama administration 'prepared to talk to Hamas' | World news | guardian.co.uk

As usual, if you want to know what's going on in American government you've gotta read the foreign press.

No you don't DUmmie, I heard it yesterday on Fox News!

Lets remember what you said , you said it was Carters fault

I never said it was solely his fault. I just pointed out that the fact that he is a "revered elder" is a big part of the problem in our nation. We respect the wrong people. We glorify failure. This is a recent cultural phenomenon.

I dont think we should respect failure. I think we should celebrate success. Unfortunately our nation hasnt seen it in such a long time, people wouldnt recognize it for what it was if it was right in front of them.

Uh-Oh

Could this be true?

-- more at link

ummmmmmmm... Israel is prepared to talk to Hamas, too.

Your point?

I don't understand why anyone cares what Carter thinks now. Does he have any sort of power? Is there anything that he can actually do?

Amanda--

Carter is a statesman in the true sense of the word. He has international stature.

I''ve posted information about him on this thread.

He's a peacemaker and a wise elder. He could have retired. He will serve humanity until his last dying breath.

I consider him a bodhisattva.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he isnt a good man. He is a very selfish man.

How is Carter selfish? Evidence please.

Bush is a 'bad man'. I have plenty of evidence.

Amanda--

Carter is a statesman in the true sense of the word. He has international stature.

I''ve posted information about him on this thread.

He's a peacemaker and a wise elder. He could have retired. He will serve humanity until his last dying breath.

I consider him a bodhisattva.

He isnt serving humanity. He is trying to get more acclaim for himself. That's all he has ever cared about. He wants glory. Which is why I could no longer pretend that he is a good man.

How is Carter selfish? Evidence please.

Bush is a 'bad man'. I have plenty of evidence.

Because he is only in it for his own glory. He doesnt give a damn whether peace actually breaks out as long as he gets credit for trying. He doesnt care about people having homes, he cares about him looking like he cares.

The man is completely and utterly selfish. He continues interefering in international disputes because his ego cant handle the fact that he sucks at it.

He isnt serving humanity. He is trying to get more acclaim for himself. That's all he has ever cared about. He wants glory. Which is why I could no longer pretend that he is a good man.
thats it exactly
same for Clinton
all they care about is their "legacy"
to hell with anything else

Forum List

Back