Jimmy Carter - Losing My Religion

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a poltician, and I wouldn't put it past any politican to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "opressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

I declare, I am a cynic, but woman... the man is what ... 85 years old? There's no more political career in front of him, the only thing that is clearly on the horizon for him is his own grave... I truly believe he was being genuine and it seemed like a rather heartfelt statement. And what more - I think it is very, very important that he had made a statement like that. If he'd done that earlier as some people have suggested, I don't think there would be as many people taking it as seriously because he did use to be... just a politician, like you said.

I'm very happy that he made that statement and I'm giving it thumbs up. I have much more respect for the man. He's trying to do a good thing. I just wish some wouldn't shit on it outright like that.

To Mr. Carter: :clap2::clap2::clap2:

In the Name of Equality: Jimmy Carter Leaves Southern Baptist Convention

Jimmy Carter released a profound statement last week titled "Losing My Religion for Equality" about how he has chosen to leave his church, the Southern Baptist Convention due to the discriminatory practices toward women. Read through what he says below - it will certainly challenge anyone, of any faith, to reconsider how women are viewed in the eyes of the Church, and the eyes of God:

So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are all equal in the eyes of God.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. It is widespread. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths.

Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church, mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries. The male interpretations of religious texts and the way they interact with, and reinforce, traditional practices justify some of the most pervasive, persistent, flagrant and damaging examples of human rights abuses.

Women's Rights - Change.org: In the Name of Equality: Jimmy Carter Leaves Southern Baptist Convention

Carter was NOT a good president but he is an intelligent man....well....other than the Church/brainwashing thing.... with a truly good heart.
Most probably don't know he was a nuclear physicist by training.Hillbilly peanut farmer yes. Dummie no.

Again, to Amanda and Broken Angel, this statement is not just about Jimmy Carter and his personal faith, or whether or not you think he's been a hypocrite for the past 60 years?

This public stance is bigger than any single man, but we only hear about it in the news because of who he is and how his influence potentially affects human rights issues across the world.

Carter: The words of God do not justify cruelty to women
The Elders

In the face of such cynicism in the world, I believe we have to take the positive wherever we find it and I agree with Care, It's a good thing! :D

I guess that as a 26 year old female who grew up just outside of San Fran, despite the hype about women's rights I don't see how women are currently held down in society. These stances don't mean much to me because guess what.. I can do anything that a man can do. A statement supporting "women's rights" feels hollow and feels like they are grasping for anything.

If it is the fact that you want to find something positive somewhere then that just shows that this world has a long way to go. I would suggest picking up a cause like helping out at a local shelter for a couple hours on the weekend. That is going to put a bigger smile on your face than reading about a man who just read the Bible for the first time. ;)

Jimmy Carter changing his religion based off of a want to uphold women's rights is a good reason for him to change yes. Again.. this feels like a HUGE issue to you it seems but it looks pathetically small to me. Due to timing, the fact that he had to make a public spectical of it.. it just feels fake. If this had been a story uncovered because his friends called the newspapers or the priest notified the media I guess that would be one thing.

-Sighs- I doubt I have gotten my point across to you and I don't want to argue with you because we just see the story differently. I was the type of kid who thought everything was a cause. I went door to door in my neighborhood selling pictures to raise money I sent in to help save the whales. I fought tooth and nail if I saw someone not getting treated the same way others around me were. I thought women were still held down until I really read about Susan B Anthony. After her example, I would call most of the women fighting for "equality" feme-nazis right along with every male out there when they aren't around a girl they want to get with. ;)

I need to stop rambling.. been a long day and Braxton Hicks contractions have made me edgy so please don't take anything I said harshly.. just ranting a bit and it wasn't clear what you meant with your statement. :cool:

The generation of women that didn't actually have to fight for the rights they take for granted now.
Just so you know, I know it's funny I am the one saying that because I also happen to be 26, but instead grew up in post-communist Czech Republic, lived 9 long years in the tiny blue dot in the sea of red in the US (the different kind of red, it was ATL), and ended up in Sweden, where women actually get the closest to 'equal rights' as it gets in this world.

I also, like you, get pissed off at fem-nazis as you called them as some of them pain a rather bad picture of feminists as a whole, but you have to realize that you wouldn't be just 'doing whatever you wanted' weren't it for the women that fought for those rights that you now so light-heartedly enjoy.

Just sayin sistah ;)

I agree that 60 years is a long time to either: not get this apparent conflict, or not notice it (ignore it). 1 way he's idiot, the other way he's a hypocrite. Either way I don't think I'd be holding this up as an example of how great a guy he is.

As far as "acting on his conscience and speaking from his heart"... that doesn't mean media coverage is required. I act on my conscience and speak from my heart everyday and I don't have a satellite news van following me around to let the world know what's on my mind.

Well, there's a slight difference between you and Mr. Carter. He's a former US president, you're a teenage girl with a high-school degree. I don't think I need to go further into explaining why his opinion and what he has to say carries much more weight than any of your ideas. I know, you weren't even alive when he became an ex-prez, but neither was I, so it's not like it explains your position.

I guess it's just a basic difference in how life is approached, the need to trumpet about your feelings to everyone you meet, or not. You see it of course with homosexuals where they often seem to have an insatiable need to let anyone they know that they're gay. But I recently saw this at a party I went to where lots of Lefties were in attendance. When people were introduced to each other they would rattle off a list of their pet causes and organizations they were affiliated with. Is this really information that needs to be shared?

You also don't remember the time when homosexuals used to be lynched for their sexual preferences. For many homosexuals, 'trumpeting about their feelings' is a sort of a homage to their predecessors that fought for their right to be able to 'trumpet about their feelings' without getting hung from a tree afterwards. Don't you think?

About the liberals - did you envy them or why exactly did you feel so negatively about it? The people are obviously concerned about something, which is better than spending your money on limousine hummers and strippers. But hey, I spent some money on some strippers back in the day :D so who am I to criticize (ok, it was just once and because I had a stripper friend who was working that night, I went there to give her some emotional support, but instead got a bit inebriated and spread some financial support as well, everything should be tried once...well, with some huge exceptions).

The best part of it tho was that you could see they were trying to "out liberal" each other. It was like a competition to see who the uberlib was. Which, to me, just looks like hypocrisy, because you shouldn't join a cause to impress people at parties, you should do it because you believe in them. I didn't get any gold stars that night because I only work at my church's charity events and don't write big checks to organizations where maybe 10% goes to the actual cause.

I generally agree with this statement. That's how it should be, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with 'out-liberaling' of each other... some people compare their cars, others dick length, and others their causes... ;)

Well, there's a slight difference between you and Mr. Carter. He's a former US president, you're a teenage girl with a high-school degree. I don't think I need to go further into explaining why his opinion and what he has to say carries much more weight than any of your ideas. I know, you weren't even alive when he became an ex-prez, but neither was I, so it's not like it explains your position.

The point is that there is no reason except political grandstanding for him to make the announcement. It was a personal decision and it should have stayed that way. Are we going to get to hear about his choice of breakfast cereal or which hemorrhoid cream he favors next? If no, why not? If every personal decision he makes is news worthy then damn it I want to know these things.

You also don't remember the time when homosexuals used to be lynched for their sexual preferences. For many homosexuals, 'trumpeting about their feelings' is a sort of a homage to their predecessors that fought for their right to be able to 'trumpet about their feelings' without getting hung from a tree afterwards. Don't you think?
That may be why they feel compelled to annoy everyone with announcements about their sexual preference but it doesn't make it any less annoying. It's personal and it should stay that way, it's not information anyone else needs unless they are moving toward getting intimate. I don't introduce myself at parties and tell everyone I like to be tied up in bed. Why? It's no one's business.

About the liberals - did you envy them or why exactly did you feel so negatively about it?
Envy them? :lol:
Yeah, like I envy pigs rolling around in their own filth. It was a disgusting display, nothing to envy there.

The people are obviously concerned about something,
Yea, impressing other libs at parties. These were people that write checks and then pat themselves on the back for 'caring'. They are the kind of people I never see at any of my church's charity events. I don't see them cooking Thanksgiving dinners, or delivering Christmas presents, or painting a house, fixing someone's car, or helping to put up a fence. What? Get your hands dirty? Not them.

which is better than spending your money on limousine hummers and strippers. But hey, I spent some money on some strippers back in the day :D so who am I to criticize (ok, it was just once and because I had a stripper friend who was working that night, I went there to give her some emotional support, but instead got a bit inebriated and spread some financial support as well, everything should be tried once...well, with some huge exceptions).
:confused:

The best part of it tho was that you could see they were trying to "out liberal" each other. It was like a competition to see who the uberlib was. Which, to me, just looks like hypocrisy, because you shouldn't join a cause to impress people at parties, you should do it because you believe in them. I didn't get any gold stars that night because I only work at my church's charity events and don't write big checks to organizations where maybe 10% goes to the actual cause.

I generally agree with this statement. That's how it should be, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with 'out-liberaling' of each other... some people compare their cars, others dick length, and others their causes... ;)

And it's dumb. It shows lack of self-esteem. They were a bunch of egotistical braggarts and snobs.

Envy them? :lol:
Yeah, like I envy pigs rolling around in their own filth. It was a disgusting display, nothing to envy there.

Yea, impressing other libs at parties. These were people that write checks and then pat themselves on the back for 'caring'. They are the kind of people I never see at any of my church's charity events. I don't see them cooking Thanksgiving dinners, or delivering Christmas presents, or painting a house, fixing someone's car, or helping to put up a fence. What? Get your hands dirty? Not them.

Well, why are you so bitter about it though? And how do you know for a fact that they've never 'put up a fence'? Do you have some sort of a special insight into their private lives?

I'm sorry if they didn't appreciate sufficiently your volunteering work. If they were lifting their noses up above that then they are a bunch of stupid fucks.

I see where you're coming from, however, I still think that it is not a bad thing what Jimmy Carter did and trying to make a point that he made was something I'll applaud anyone for making. He's not running for any political office, so I'm bi-passing my usual cynicism when it comes to politicians.

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a poltician, and I wouldn't put it past any politican to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "opressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

I declare, I am a cynic, but woman... the man is what ... 85 years old? There's no more political career in front of him, the only thing that is clearly on the horizon for him is his own grave... I truly believe he was being genuine and it seemed like a rather heartfelt statement. And what more - I think it is very, very important that he had made a statement like that. If he'd done that earlier as some people have suggested, I don't think there would be as many people taking it as seriously because he did use to be... just a politician, like you said.

I'm very happy that he made that statement and I'm giving it thumbs up. I have much more respect for the man. He's trying to do a good thing. I just wish some wouldn't shit on it outright like that.

No he's not. He's trying to bash a church, there's nothing honoroable in that, or worthy of respect. He's timing it to jibe with political happenings of the day.

And what does his age have to do with it? He's a hundred times more active politically now than he was when he was arguably the worst president in the history of the presidency.

Though Obama may overtake him in that department.

No he's not. He's trying to bash a church, there's nothing honoroable in that, or worthy of respect. He's timing it to jibe with political happenings of the day.

And what does his age have to do with it? He's a hundred times more active politically now than he was when he was arguably the worst president in the history of the presidency.

Though Obama may overtake him in that department.

And for what dishonest reason is he bashing a church?

Well, why are you so bitter about it though? And how do you know for a fact that they've never 'put up a fence'? Do you have some sort of a special insight into their private lives?

What makes you think I'm bitter? Do you have some special insight into how I feel? :lol:

And how do I know what else they do? Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that since they weren't bragging about it they don't do it. And you can tell from a person's hands if they ever work hard. I didn't see any signs of manual labor on any of them, tho most of the guys did have very nice manicures.

I'm sorry if they didn't appreciate sufficiently your volunteering work. If they were lifting their noses up above that then they are a bunch of stupid fucks.
They never heard about it because I wouldn't tarnish the effort by bragging about it. That's not why I do it.

I see where you're coming from, however, I still think that it is not a bad thing what Jimmy Carter did and trying to make a point that he made was something I'll applaud anyone for making. He's not running for any political office, so I'm bi-passing my usual cynicism when it comes to politicians.

I think Allie answered this. If he wasn't doing it for political reasons he wouldn't have announced it. You don't have to be actively running for an office to do things for political reasons. Surely you can see that.

I act on my conscience and speak from my heart everyday and I don't have a satellite news van following me around to let the world know what's on my mind.

I guess it's just a basic difference in how life is approached, the need to trumpet about your feelings to everyone you meet, or not.

So you're not just the tiniest bit envious? :lol:

I remember a time not too long ago when I knew waaaaaaay too much more about some older guy you were dating and how much you'd had to drink than I ever really wanted to know.

Last edited:
Good for Jimmy Carter!! I always liked the guy.

Billy Carter had more on the ball than his brother, Jimmy. At least Billy had his own label on a beer. Jimmy never did anything of any great value except for awhile drift off into the silence of the night. Just like a fester though, he's back...

I act on my conscience and speak from my heart everyday and I don't have a satellite news van following me around to let the world know what's on my mind.

I guess it's just a basic difference in how life is approached, the need to trumpet about your feelings to everyone you meet, or not.

So you're not just the tiniest bit envious? :lol:

I remember a time not too long ago when I knew waaaaaaay too much more about some older guy you were dating and how much you'd had to drink than I ever really wanted to know.

I don't know how you get envy out of it, but whatever. I think he's a political hack, pulling a political move. I think our media needs to take itself out back and beat itself with a shovel until it stops running stories like this. It isn't important. I put this up there with all the stupid celebrity worship they promote. It's junk food for the mind.

Really? Was I on the CNN crawl? Was it forced on you along with the rest of the news? Or did you click on the links all by yourself? If you want to talk about envy then I'll tell you. I stopped posting about any of that here because the jealous old ladies on this site couldn't handle it. Rest assured, my life continues to be phenomenal and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. In fact I'm just on my way out the door right now. Have fun on the interwebz, I'm going dancing!

Forum List

Back