Jimmah!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://corner.nationalreview.com/05_11_06_corner-archive.asp#081975

THE SAGE OF AUGUSTA [Jonah Goldberg]

I've now heard or read bits and pieces of several Carter interviews. I am simply flummoxed by the amount time and space wasted asking him what he thinks the Democratic Party should do. Now, to be fair, I don't think his advice is terrible at least on the religious stuff. But I'm wondering: Where did Jimmy Carter get the reputation of being a savvy political operator? He beat Jerry Ford almost entirely because of the Nixon pardon and even then Ford managed to close an enormous gap with Carter and might have beaten him if they had another month. And let's be fair, Jerry Ford was was no political super-genius either. Carter's presidency -- politically speaking -- was a joke. He lost to Ronald Reagan -- a man the Democrats considered then and now to be a dunce. I even read in the New York Times this weekend that the Carter campaign was psyched to pound Reagan for being a "flip-flopper." He now claims that the Democrats need to reconnect with Americans of faith, but it was this rocket scientist who so proudly put Michael Moore in the seat next to him at the Democratic Convention in 2004. Carter's got a soft spot for dictators, America-bashers and a gift for unceasing condescension and yet people think this is the guy to point the way out of the wilderness for the Democrats?

Correction: Man, my brain is misfiring today ("'Today'?" -- The Couch). Carter's from Plains, not Augusta.

I was thinking about something earlier when I posted a thread on clinton..
There had been a gentlemans agreement that no past president would criticise a sitting president in office. But you notice who the two EX presidents who are in the forefront of doing just this.. Democrat's!!! I don't remember Bush sr. putting down clinton when he was office, like these two jugheads do President Bush. :bs1: ..... Anybody else think this, or it it just me?

Stephanie said:
There had been a gentlemans agreement that no past president would criticise a sitting president in office. But you notice who the two EX presidents who are in the forefront of doing just this.. Democrat's!!! I don't remember Bush sr. putting down clinton when he was office, like these two jugheads do President Bush. :bs1: ..... Anybody else think this, or it it just me?

used to be:

Arthur Vandenberg, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a former isolationist, led his party into the world, famously saying, "Politics stops at the water's edge."

Meaning both parties put the country before international politics, no matter how furious domestic disagreements might be.

Stephanie said:
All the other ex-presidents are either dead or they are his dad! Of course none of the other ex-presidents are criticizing the president!:rolleyes:

Hagbard Celine said:
All the other ex-presidents are either dead or they are his dad! Of course none of the other ex-presidents are criticizing the president!:rolleyes:

Well there is a very good chance that a democrat could follow him in office. I hope that GW and his father follow the path laid now.

Kathianne said:
Well there is a very good chance that a democrat could follow him in office. I hope that GW and his father follow the path laid now.
I really hope whoever it is is a moderate. I think (hope) Americans are tired of all this partisan bullsh*t all the time.

Hagbard Celine said:
I really hope whoever it is is a moderate. I think (hope) Americans are tired of all this partisan bullsh*t all the time.

hc said:
All the other ex-presidents are either dead or they are his dad! Of course none of the other ex-presidents are criticizing the president!
yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Hagbard Celine said:

Oh ye wise one I also asked if Bush sr did this to clinton. I see you glazed right over anwsering that to give one of your usual snotty replies... :bs1: :baby4:

Stephanie said:
Oh ye wise one I also asked if Bush sr did this to clinton. I see you glazed right over anwsering that to give one of your usual snotty replies... :bs1: :baby4:
Well if you keep teeing them up, I'll keep wacking them into the fairway...Bush Sr. didn't criticize Clinton because Clinton didn't make as many policy errors as Lil' Bush (Shrub) has and hence, was undeserving of his predecessors' constructive criticism.:laugh:

:cow: You see the snot bubble coming out of the cow's nose? That makes this post truly "snotty." :D

Hagbard Celine said:
Well if you keep teeing them up, I'll keep wacking them into the fairway...Bush Sr. didn't criticize Clinton because Clinton didn't make as many policy errors as Lil' Bush (Shrub) has.:laugh:

Only you would believe that about clinton... :alco: You must be a real joy to be around in person with.. :slap: :funnyface :cow:

Just for the record, Gerald Ford isn't dead or President Bush's dad, and I haven't heard him critisize any of the presidents that followed him while they were in office.

Just a note. :salute:

Here's a paradox: Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford are warm, personal friends; George H.W. Bush has developed a warm friendship with Bill Clinton; George McGovern and Barry Goldwater were personal friends. Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill were personal friends. The problem must occur when politicians come to live and work in toxic Washington, D.C. If people with opposite political philosophies--sometimes extreme--can develop close friendships after leaving Washington, D.C., then the problem must be the environment in Washington. I think George W. found that out. His intention was to go to Washington, D.C. and work with the Democrats just the way he had worked with the Democrats as governor of Texas, but he learned pretty quick that working with the opposition in Washington, D.C. was just not possible. I'll bet it is his biggest disappointment.

Forum List

Back