Jim Webb, (D-VA), should be our next President.

I like Webb, and I like him even more after learning he said this:

From a Yahoo! piece:

Go to any activist meeting or liberal dinner party, and chances are you will hear a pretty consistent narrative to explain this trend. Basically, it goes like this: White men, and especially Southern white men, are just inherently racist and afraid of social change, and so they’re easily manipulated by Republicans and have turned their backs on Obama. But that’s really OK, because the demographics of the country are rapidly shifting, and very soon there will be enough black and Latino voters — not to mention women of all races — to tip the balance of any national election into the Democratic column.

Webb finds this theory downright offensive. In his view, Democrats have focused so much of their rhetoric and their programs on racial minorities that they’ve basically forgotten about all those white, working-class voters who face some of the same economic hardships but feel like all the focus is on the poor.

“I think this is where Democrats screw up, you know?” Webb told me. “I think that they have kind of unwittingly used this group, white working males, as a whipping post for a lot of their policies. And then when they react, they say they’re being racist.”

Back in 2010, under a Wall Street Journal headline that referred to the “myth of white privilege,” Webb called for an end to federal affirmative action programs that aren’t need-based, saying they no longer helped African-Americans and only served to embitter white voters.
More recently, including in our conversation, he has obliquely assailed “interest groups” that divide the parties by race.

He's not fond of the PC Police either.

:biggrin:

The one trick pony chirps...

The central element of all PC charges, is "the myth of the conservative victim." In a remarkable turnabout of historical narrative, conservatives managed to portray themselves as "victims of false charges of racism and sexism, victims of the repressive thought police, and victims of reverse discrimination"

The widespread public acceptance of the political correctness myth has become a powerful political tool for conservatives. It provides a way to dismiss and mock rather than refute claims based on race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or minority culture. Further, the attack on PC has been expanded to serve in the larger ideological war against the left, so that any statement of radical belief triggers the PC charge.

more

Conservative correctness - RationalWiki
Pavlov's dog barks.

Nice to see you folks go postal on command.

So defensive.

Sit. Stay.

Hillary will be your next nominee, and Bush or Walker will be the next president. Obama has made sure of that.

I really don't think the country is dumb enough to put a third Bush into office given what complete disasters the first two were and the second had to STEAL the election to get in.
You elected Obama twice. Can't be more dumb than that.

First, I only voted for him the second time.

Second, other than your racism, nothing really supports your statement that Obama is a worse president than Bush was. Two recessions, two wars, a major city wiped off the map. You simply cannot find a list of fuckups that puts many presidents below Bush.

Why is it for Democrats only having a military record counts if they have one and military record only counts for Democrats?

Mostly because Republicans don't have particularly good military records.

Let's review, shall we.

Romney- Got a bullshit missionary exemption.
Limbaugh- Got an exemption for cyst on his ass.
Cheney- Four student Deferments and a marriage deferment.
Bush- National Guard Dodge
Quayle - National Guard dodge

Swish. A stupid argument that doesn't answer the question. Now that's pulling a JoeB...

Hillary will be your next nominee, and Bush or Walker will be the next president. Obama has made sure of that.

I really don't think the country is dumb enough to put a third Bush into office given what complete disasters the first two were and the second had to STEAL the election to get in.
You elected Obama twice. Can't be more dumb than that.

First, I only voted for him the second time.

Second, other than your racism, nothing really supports your statement that Obama is a worse president than Bush was. Two recessions, two wars, a major city wiped off the map. You simply cannot find a list of fuckups that puts many presidents below Bush.
You voted for him the second time around? You're dumber than I thought. Bush inherited the first recession. He also inherited 911. Also how was katrina his fault?

Why is it for Democrats only having a military record counts if they have one and military record only counts for Democrats?

Let's review, shall we.

Swish. A stupid argument that doesn't answer the question. Now that's pulling a JoeB...

No, Double Wide, the problem is most Republicans today work under the "Let some poor black kid fight that war" when they are always calling for them.

That's why a Democrat with a war record is impressive.

Let's review, shall we.

No, Double Wide, the problem is most Republicans today work under the "Let some poor black kid fight that war" when they are always calling for them.

Yeah Vietnam was impressive.

You voted for him the second time around? You're dumber than I thought. Bush inherited the first recession. He also inherited 911. Also how was katrina his fault?

Well, you guys nominated a MORMON. That was a good enough reason for me to vote Democratic that time.

Bush didn't "inherit" anything. He was in charge, it was his policies. The economy was not in recession when he got into office. His policies PUT it there.

Same thing with 9/11. The CIA told him an attack was imminent and he went fishing.

As for Katrina- yeah, putting the Horse Show guy in charge of FEMA and failing to respond to a national emergency after you just created this HUGE new bureaucracy to deal with national emergencies is a major league failure.

Let's review, shall we.

Gotcha doublewide. You thought supersize me was a love story between a man and a meal, didn't you?

Unfortunately for you, the stats don't back up your racists lies. The military is more white than the general population. Sucks to be you. Stupid, bigoted and a doublewide fat ass

Well, you guys nominated a MORMON. That was a good enough reason for me to vote Democratic that time.

Bush didn't "inherit" anything. He was in charge, it was his policies. The economy was not in recession when he got into office. His policies PUT it there.

Same thing with 9/11. The CIA told him an attack was imminent and he went fishing.

As for Katrina- yeah, putting the Horse Show guy in charge of FEMA and failing to respond to a national emergency after you just created this HUGE new bureaucracy to deal with national emergencies is a major league failure.
Bush inherited the dot com bust. He inherited 911, liberals are still blaming Bush for Obama's failures. Bush was in office less than 10 months when it happened. Hurricane Katrina was the fault of the governor. She didn't request government aid till after the shit hit the fan. Not Bush's fault.

Jim Webb is a United States Marine. He fought in Vietnam and was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. His war wounds left him with shrapnel in his knee, kidney, and head. The injury to his knee led to a medical board that decided on medical retirement.

Jim Webb served as Secretary to the Navy under Ronald Reagan. He resigned in 1988 after refusing to agree to reduce the size of the Navy.

Jim won an Emmy in 1983 for coverage of our soldiers in Beirut. Among Webb's awards for community service and professional excellence are the Department of Defense Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Medal of Honor Society's Patriot Award, the America Legion National Commander's Public Service Award, the Veterans Foreign Affairs of War Media Service Award, the Marin Corps League's Military Order of the Iron Mike Award, the John H. Russell Leadership Award, and the Robert L. Denig Distinguished Service Award.

In his 2006 Senate Campaign Webb blisteringly opposed George W. Bush's blunders in Iraq. He opposed the war before it began and shouted it down towards an election victory. Webb had a son who served in Iraq also.
Shrapnel in his head.....yep....he's a democrat.

Bush inherited the dot com bust. He inherited 911, liberals are still blaming Bush for Obama's failures. Bush was in office less than 10 months when it happened. Hurricane Katrina was the fault of the governor. She didn't request government aid till after the shit hit the fan. Not Bush's fault.

Democrats never saw a disaster they couldn't exploit for cheap political points

From a Yahoo! piece:

Go to any activist meeting or liberal dinner party, and chances are you will hear a pretty consistent narrative to explain this trend. Basically, it goes like this: White men, and especially Southern white men, are just inherently racist and afraid of social change, and so they’re easily manipulated by Republicans and have turned their backs on Obama. But that’s really OK, because the demographics of the country are rapidly shifting, and very soon there will be enough black and Latino voters — not to mention women of all races — to tip the balance of any national election into the Democratic column.

Webb finds this theory downright offensive. In his view, Democrats have focused so much of their rhetoric and their programs on racial minorities that they’ve basically forgotten about all those white, working-class voters who face some of the same economic hardships but feel like all the focus is on the poor.

“I think this is where Democrats screw up, you know?” Webb told me. “I think that they have kind of unwittingly used this group, white working males, as a whipping post for a lot of their policies. And then when they react, they say they’re being racist.”

Back in 2010, under a Wall Street Journal headline that referred to the “myth of white privilege,” Webb called for an end to federal affirmative action programs that aren’t need-based, saying they no longer helped African-Americans and only served to embitter white voters.
More recently, including in our conversation, he has obliquely assailed “interest groups” that divide the parties by race.

The central element of all PC charges, is "the myth of the conservative victim." In a remarkable turnabout of historical narrative, conservatives managed to portray themselves as "victims of false charges of racism and sexism, victims of the repressive thought police, and victims of reverse discrimination"

The widespread public acceptance of the political correctness myth has become a powerful political tool for conservatives. It provides a way to dismiss and mock rather than refute claims based on race, class, gender, sexual orientation, or minority culture. Further, the attack on PC has been expanded to serve in the larger ideological war against the left, so that any statement of radical belief triggers the PC charge.

more

Pavlov's dog barks.

So defensive.

Sit. Stay.

Project much? You are the Pavlov dog barking out the "PC" myth on every single thread. How does it feel to have your whole philosophy based on a concoction and propaganda? There is "political" and there is "correct". They are two separate words with totally different meanings. "PC" was invented by the right for deflection and an excuse for right wingers to ignore "correct". It allows right wingers like you to spew racism and hatred, then hide behind "PC"...

From a Yahoo! piece:

more

Pavlov's dog barks.

So defensive.

Sit. Stay.

Project much? You are the Pavlov dog barking out the "PC" myth on every single thread. How does it feel to have your whole philosophy based on a concoction and propaganda? There is "political" and there is "correct". They are two separate words with totally different meanings. "PC" was invented by the right for deflection and an excuse for right wingers to ignore "correct". It allows right wingers like you to spew racism and hatred, then hide behind "PC"...
Tissue?

Clinton Webb 2016 ..

poor RW's wearing their ass on their head before the election ever starts..

From a Yahoo! piece:

more

Pavlov's dog barks.

So defensive.

Sit. Stay.

Tissue?

Translation...you have nothing, so act like a child.

Jim Webb is a United States Marine. He fought in Vietnam and was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. His war wounds left him with shrapnel in his knee, kidney, and head. The injury to his knee led to a medical board that decided on medical retirement.

Jim Webb served as Secretary to the Navy under Ronald Reagan. He resigned in 1988 after refusing to agree to reduce the size of the Navy.

Jim won an Emmy in 1983 for coverage of our soldiers in Beirut. Among Webb's awards for community service and professional excellence are the Department of Defense Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Medal of Honor Society's Patriot Award, the America Legion National Commander's Public Service Award, the Veterans Foreign Affairs of War Media Service Award, the Marin Corps League's Military Order of the Iron Mike Award, the John H. Russell Leadership Award, and the Robert L. Denig Distinguished Service Award.

In his 2006 Senate Campaign Webb blisteringly opposed George W. Bush's blunders in Iraq. He opposed the war before it began and shouted it down towards an election victory. Webb had a son who served in Iraq also.
I like Webb, but he may actually be harder to work with than was Jimmy Carter. Who was a good technocrat, btw, but a horrible politician.

I like Webb, but he may actually be harder to work with than was Jimmy Carter. Who was a good technocrat, btw, but a horrible politician.
I like him as well, that's too bad. In order to be an effective politician you have to be, uh, political.

From Political Correctness to Conservative Correctness

Political correctness, the maligned and misunderstood term that was used by conservatives to help define the American Left in the 1990s is dead. Beaten to death by conservative image makers, talking heads, and politicians, political correctness came to be derided as the way through which liberals were softening America. As I see it, though, the movement toward political correctness was more about bringing increased humanity and consideration to our treatment of each other and the world than it was to undermining America’s social fiber. However, the conservative movement in America seized upon some arguably trite examples of political correctness "run amok" and embarked upon a strategy to belittle and marginalize anyone who advocates more diversity of opinion, humanity toward all, and respect for the rest of the world in American life.

A new type of correctness has emerged in its place and threatens to undermine America’s public discourse. I call it "conservative correctness," which I define as an attempt to change the way in which we consider and debate issues in America to ensure that conservative policy positions are seen as the only right way to go, even if the facts and circumstances argue differently. More often than not, changing the way in which we debate actually means not debating at all. That way, conservatives can innoculate themselves from a range of charges while maintaining their favored status quo.

The primary characteristic of conservative correctness is efforts by conservative media, academics, politicians, and their handlers to brand as unpatriotic, divisive, and even ungodly anyone who seeks to raise questions about the direction of conservative policy. To be conservatively correct, one must accept the tenets and approaches of conservatism as best in every circumstance and that all attempts to discuss or advocate alternatives must, for the good of the country, be squelched with dispatch.

So, those who call for serious change in our current health care system are charged with wanting "socialized medicine." Those who question U.S. motives in Iraq or wonder if this is all about oil run the risk of being charged with giving cover to Sadaam Hussein, Osama bin Laden and other terrorists. African Americans cannot raise racial issues in a serious way without being charged with "playing the race card." Consequently, debate about race in America has largely been muzzled, almost to the point of silence. Indeed, the recent retrospectives on the landmark Brown v. Board of Education, Topeka, Kansas have largely ignored the large gulf that still exists between the haves and have nots in American public education and what that portends for America’s future.

Forum List

Back