Jim or Moi, maybe you can help me here?

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Hey, if anyone has ever been there, or maybe knows something about it, can you give me some info about the Chelsea Hotel in NYC? I started writing a story based there before I realized the only info I have on it comes from Ryan Adams songs. All I need is like, where it is, maybe what it looks like from the outside if you know. This would really help out a lot!

Originally posted by Dan
Hey, if anyone has ever been there, or maybe knows something about it, can you give me some info about the Chelsea Hotel in NYC? I started writing a story based there before I realized the only info I have on it comes from Ryan Adams songs. All I need is like, where it is, maybe what it looks like from the outside if you know. This would really help out a lot!
Jimmy's right that it's on 23rd Street- kinda the heart of Chelsea now. The area has changed drastically since the 80's and it's now yuppie central. Everyone between the age of 25 and 30 needs to live there at some point. It's not as boho as it once was either.

However, the area itself is still totally cool (despite the numerous Gaps!) and you can find lots of local stuff still there. West 23rd Street is full of vendors like coffee shops, bagel shops, and every type of eatery imaginable. It's also great in terms of transportation. You've got just about every subway line within steps. You can get to Union Square or West 4th Street easily/quickly. Lots of street fairs at both.

The building itself used to be quite lovely...lots of brick and iron. It's very historic but by today's standards not all that glamorous...no large parlors or Trump-like flash. The rooms are cool...the only time I've ever actually been in it was for a real estate function (they rent the rooms out for soirees too) and we had a balcony and a fireplace....cool.

Thanks for the help, guys! Moi really wrapped up pretty much everything I needed to know about it. Would you say it's really well-maintained inside, or kinda run-down? Oh, and one other thing...

It's not as boho as it once was either.

Could you tell me what 'boho' means?:)

Originally posted by Dan
Thanks for the help, guys! Moi really wrapped up pretty much everything I needed to know about it. Would you say it's really well-maintained inside, or kinda run-down? Oh, and one other thing...

Could you tell me what 'boho' means?:)
I haven't been there in years but from what I remember it was pretty nice. I don't remember it being run down at all.

Boho = bohemian. You know, artsy fartsy.

Boho = bohemian. You know, artsy fartsy.

Ah, that's what I thought you meant. I'm kinda a fan of the artsy fartsy scene, too bad it's gone. Unfortunately, my story kinda relies on the bohemian scene and idea, so maybe my Chelsea will have to exist in some alternate world, or something.:)

Yeah, it is. They actually talk about that in the timeline of the hotel on the website.

Forum List

Back