Jim DeMint says health care will be Obama's Waterloo.

AUDIO Of Jim DeMint Saying Health Care Will Be Obama’s “Waterloo” | The Plum Line

The audio adds a harsh overtone, even stridency, to the quote, and as such, it’s likely to find its way into ads pummeling Republicans as obstructionist:

DeMint said:

“If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him.”

Obama himself just responded to DeMint, saying the following:

“This isn’t about me. This isn’t about politics. This about a health care system that is breaking America’s families, breaking America’s businesses and breaking America’s economy. And we can’t afford the politics of delay and defeat when it comes to health care. Not this time, not now. There are too many lives and livelihoods at stake.”

You’d think maybe DeMint’s quote could end up being a Waterloo of sorts, wouldn’t you?

Politically speaking, it would be wonderful if the health care issue DOES become President Obama's Waterloo. Wishing for this President to fail is perfectly reasonable. Working to help that happen is a great idea.

I have yet to see any rational answer from supporters of the Obama Administration health plan who can explain why it has to get passed in such a hurry when -- by its terms -- it will not be going into effect until 2013. Doesn't that justify slowing things down a little bit and -- gee, maybe -- READING and debating the merits of the bill before cramming it through Congress?

Were you asking all these questions on how we'd pay for a 3 trillion dollar war?

nice dodge,, but the question is about obama's waterloo,, not President Bush's. So how do you intend to pay for health care?

So, you didn't ask all these questions on how we'd pay for a 3 trillion dollar war...THAT is different...

"the question is about obama's waterloo"...OK, it will be a "Waterloo" BUT, the Napoleon in this battle will be the UN American Republicans... they are single handedly creating a Democratic majority for decades...

good then pass your agenda and quit whining about Republicans.. The party of Know says NO for good reason now grow a pair and pass your agenda.. but,, how ya gonna pay for it????

So America can't do healthcare? Rather sad, moon we can do, good stuff for our citizens, no can do!

ya gotta pay for it. how ya gonna pay for it??? 50% pay federal taxes, 50% don't that's not enough! over tax and you lose your tax base.. so..... how ya gonna pay for it?

Everybody pays Social Security and Medicare. A real Health Care System should be supported in the same mannner.

so you are in favor of everyone paying federal income tax? What percentage of salary should everyone pay in federal income tax?

AUDIO Of Jim DeMint Saying Health Care Will Be Obama’s “Waterloo” | The Plum Line

The audio adds a harsh overtone, even stridency, to the quote, and as such, it’s likely to find its way into ads pummeling Republicans as obstructionist:

DeMint said:

“If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him.”

“This isn’t about me. This isn’t about politics. This about a health care system that is breaking America’s families, breaking America’s businesses and breaking America’s economy. And we can’t afford the politics of delay and defeat when it comes to health care. Not this time, not now. There are too many lives and livelihoods at stake.”

You’d think maybe DeMint’s quote could end up being a Waterloo of sorts, wouldn’t you?

Politically speaking, it would be wonderful if the health care issue DOES become President Obama's Waterloo. Wishing for this President to fail is perfectly reasonable. Working to help that happen is a great idea.

I have yet to see any rational answer from supporters of the Obama Administration health plan who can explain why it has to get passed in such a hurry when -- by its terms -- it will not be going into effect until 2013. Doesn't that justify slowing things down a little bit and -- gee, maybe -- READING and debating the merits of the bill before cramming it through Congress?

Well, after it is passed, we can amend it so that it can go in effect much sooner. And then make it into a real single payer system. :lol:

Yes, you are going to oppose anything that would make this a better nation. That is a given. People like you would rather bomb children over there than give them health care over here. You hope that the Second Great Republican Depression will become a fact, so you can blame President Obama. You hope that the present economically ruinous Health Care system continues because it makes some people very rich while bankrupting hundreds of thousands of Americans yearly. What a sweet fellow you are.

nice dodge,, but the question is about obama's waterloo,, not President Bush's. So how do you intend to pay for health care?

So, you didn't ask all these questions on how we'd pay for a 3 trillion dollar war...THAT is different...

"the question is about obama's waterloo"...OK, it will be a "Waterloo" BUT, the Napoleon in this battle will be the UN American Republicans... they are single handedly creating a Democratic majority for decades...

good then pass your agenda and quit whining about Republicans.. The party of Know says NO for good reason now grow a pair and pass your agenda.. but,, how ya gonna pay for it????

We are going to tax the hell out of your silly ass! :lol:

The same way that we are going to pay for Bush's insane war. Except this time we will get something for our money, rather than seeing our sons and daughters coming home in body bags for someone's lies.

DeMint said:

Well, after it is passed, we can amend it so that it can go in effect much sooner. And then make it into a real single payer system. :lol:

Yes, you are going to oppose anything that would make this a better nation. That is a given. People like you would rather bomb children over there than give them health care over here. You hope that the Second Great Republican Depression will become a fact, so you can blame President Obama. You hope that the present economically ruinous Health Care system continues because it makes some people very rich while bankrupting hundreds of thousands of Americans yearly. What a sweet fellow you are.

see? there it is in a nutshell,, what's the rush?? why not slow down and do it right the first time..god you people are nutszoids and traitors to boot for wanting to sink this country..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/opinion/21brooks.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
It was interesting to watch the Republican Party lose touch with America. You had a party led by conservative Southerners who neither understood nor sympathized with moderates or representatives from swing districts.

They brought in pollsters to their party conferences to persuade their members that the country was fervently behind them. They were supported by their interest groups and cheered on by their activists and the partisan press. They spent federal money in an effort to buy support but ended up disgusting the country instead.

It’s not that interesting to watch the Democrats lose touch with America. That’s because the plotline is exactly the same. The party is led by insular liberals from big cities and the coasts, who neither understand nor sympathize with moderates. They have their own cherry-picking pollsters, their own media and activist cocoon, their own plans to lavishly spend borrowed money to buy votes.

This ideological overreach won’t be any more successful than the last one. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released Monday confirms what other polls have found. Most Americans love Barack Obama personally, but support for Democratic policies is already sliding fast.

Approval of Obama’s handling of health care, for example, has slid from 57 percent to 49 percent since April. Disapproval has risen from 29 percent to 44 percent. As recently as June, voters earning more than $50,000 preferred Obama to the Republicans on health care by a 21-point margin. Now those voters are evenly split.

Most independents now disapprove of Obama’s health care strategy. In March, only 32 percent of Americans thought Obama was an old-style, tax-and-spend liberal. Now 43 percent do.

We’re only in the early stages of the liberal suicide march, but there already have been three phases. First, there was the stimulus package. You would have thought that a stimulus package would be designed to fight unemployment and stimulate the economy during a recession. But Congressional Democrats used it as a pretext to pay for $787 billion worth of pet programs with borrowed money. Only 11 percent of the money will be spent by the end of the fiscal year — a triumph of ideology over pragmatism.

Then there is the budget. Instead of allaying moderate anxieties about the deficits, the budget is expected to increase the government debt by $11 trillion between 2009 and 2019.

Finally, there is health care. Every cliché Ann Coulter throws at the Democrats is gloriously fulfilled by the Democratic health care bills. The bills do almost nothing to control health care inflation. They are modeled on the Massachusetts health reform law that is currently coming apart at the seams precisely because it doesn’t control costs. They do little to reward efficient providers and reform inefficient ones.

The House bill adds $239 billion to the federal deficit during the first 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office. It would pummel small businesses with an 8 percent payroll penalty. It would jack America’s top tax rate above those in Italy and France. Top earners in New York and California would be giving more than 55 percent of earnings to one government entity or another.

Nancy Pelosi has lower approval ratings than Dick Cheney and far lower approval ratings than Sarah Palin. And yet Democrats have allowed her policy values to carry the day — this in an era in which independents dominate the electoral landscape.

Who’s going to stop this leftward surge? Months ago, it seemed as if Obama would lead a center-left coalition. Instead, he has deferred to the Old Bulls on Capitol Hill on issue after issue.

Machiavelli said a leader should be feared as well as loved. Obama is loved by the Democratic chairmen, but he is not feared. On health care, Obama has emphasized cost control. The chairmen flouted his priorities because they don’t fear him. On cap and trade, Obama campaigned against giving away pollution offsets. The chairmen wrote their bill to do precisely that because they don’t fear him. On taxes, Obama promised that top tax rates would not go above Clinton-era levels. The chairmen flouted that promise because they don’t fear him.

Last week, the administration announced a proposal to take Medicare spending decisions away from Congress and lodge the power with technocrats in the executive branch. It’s a good idea, and it might lead to real cost savings. But there’s no reason to think that it will be incorporated into the final law. The chairmen will never surrender power to an administration they can override.

That leaves matters in the hands of the Blue Dog Democrats. These brave moderates are trying to restrain the fiscal explosion. But moderates inherently lack seniority (they are from swing districts). They are usually bought off by leadership at the end of the day.

And so here we are again. Every new majority overinterprets its mandate. We’ve been here before. We’ll be here again.

it seems we never learn

ya gotta pay for it. how ya gonna pay for it??? 50% pay federal taxes, 50% don't that's not enough! over tax and you lose your tax base.. so..... how ya gonna pay for it?

Everybody pays Social Security and Medicare. A real Health Care System should be supported in the same mannner.

so you are in favor of everyone paying federal income tax? What percentage of salary should everyone pay in federal income tax?

Given the present sitiuation, two wars to pay for, an economic debacle created by upper level greed, those at the top should pay at least 60%. Those at the bottom should pay what they are paying now, Social Security and Medicare. Social Security, at least the percentage that I and every other wage earner pays should be on all income. Right to the top. That would solve the problem of SS insolvency in the coming decades. Same with Medicare.

Of course, if we were to roll Medicare into a single payer system, then we would have a Health Care system with the most of the administration already in place.

Naturally the mainstream RNC leadership is backing away from DeMint's foolish utterances.

they understand that most Americans are sick to death of the health care crises.

They understand that fixing the HC problem is part of the solution to the whole economic mess we're in, too.

Everybody with a clue knows the problem needs to be solved, but from my perspective nobody is yet willing to acknowledge that the problem isn't soluble until we rethink the profit motive in HC delivery.

We are going to tax the hell out of your silly ass! :lol:

The same way that we are going to pay for Bush's insane war. Except this time we will get something for our money, rather than seeing our sons and daughters coming home in body bags for someone's lies.

and now you know why there is so much opposition.. something for "your" money? it's not your money,, it's money you stole from other people. your waterloo! :lol:

Naturally the mainstream RNC leadership is backing away from DeMint's foolish utterances.

they understand that most Americans are sick to death of the health care crises.

They understand that fixing the HC problem is part of the solution to the whole economic mess we're in, too.
Everybody with a clue knows the problem needs to be solved, but from my perspective nobody is yet willing to acknowledge that the problem isn't soluble until we rethink the profit motive in HC delivery.

no! what most of us understand is that you have no viable way to pay for it, and most of us also know that the democwats refuse to take the illegal aliens outta the mix,, we will be forced to pay for 1/2 of mexico too,, that's what we understand.

I for one do not have health insurance. I am 47 years old and in excellent health, I get a check up twice a year and a cardio vascular check-up once a year. If it should happen that I'm incapacitated, I will pay for my medical expenses with cash. So Obama can take his healthcare plan and stickit up his ass!! And I believe only a fool or an idiot would believe anything that Obama says.

Well isn't that wonderful for you. You are part of the problem, and please, don't give me the crap that if you get sick you'll pay for it yourself. You are so full of shit it isn't even funny. Perfectly healthy people become sick overnight. Cancer strikes one out of every three people, many of whom were healthy their entire lives.

It's just a matter of when you become sick, not if, and you are playing Russian Roulette with your own life while at the same time transferring the cost of your potential need for healthcare to everyone else. Tell me how many of the wealthy go without health insurance? They're not so stupid as to go without it because they realize illness can strike at any time, and having insurance just makes sense. It's like saying you're not going to carry home owners insurance and that if your home is destroyed by fire or something else, you'll just pay for a new one out of pocket.

So America can't do healthcare? Rather sad, moon we can do, good stuff for our citizens, no can do!

Prove everybody pays social security and medicare! I know for a fact that's an outright lie. As a matter of fact when I was released from prison in 1981 the first job I found paid me under the table. I subsequently found better employment, thanks to Red Adair.

We already have very good heaLTHCARE. You're acting under the impression that state run healthcare is a good thing.

It isn't and it will break the bank even further.

I for one do not have health insurance. I am 47 years old and in excellent health, I get a check up twice a year and a cardio vascular check-up once a year. If it should happen that I'm incapacitated, I will pay for my medical expenses with cash. So Obama can take his healthcare plan and stickit up his ass!! And I believe only a fool or an idiot would believe anything that Obama says.

Well isn't that wonderful for you. You are part of the problem, and please, don't give me the crap that if you get sick you'll pay for it yourself. You are so full of shit it isn't even funny. Perfectly healthy people become sick overnight. Cancer strikes one out of every three people, many of whom were healthy their entire lives.

It's just a matter of when you become sick, not if, and you are playing Russian Roulette with your own life while at the same time transferring the cost of your potential need for healthcare to everyone else. Tell me how many of the wealthy go without health insurance? They're not so stupid as to go without it because they realize illness can strike at any time, and having insurance just makes sense. It's like saying you're not going to carry home owners insurance and that if your home is destroyed by fire or something else, you'll just pay for a new one out of pocket.

Hey dumbass, if I get sick and need medical attention. I will pay for it. I raised three kids to the age of majority and I paid every medical cost that was incurred. I have never failed to pay any bill EVER. You obviously don't know who the fuck your talking to. I'm not some yahoo that depends on govt. handouts.

To answer your question I don't know how many wealthy people go without health insurance, but I can tell you that.. according to the Census Bureau report, there are 8.3 million uninsured people who make between $50,000 and $74,999 per year and 8.74 million who make more than $75,000 a year. That’s roughly 17 million people who ought to be able to “afford” health insurance because they make substantially more than the median household income of $46,326, yet they choose not to.

“Many Americans are uninsured by choice,” wrote Dr. David Gratzer in his book “The Cure: How Capitalism Can Save American Health Care.” Gratzer cited a study of the “nonpoor uninsured” from the California Healthcare Foundation.

“Why the lack of insurance [among people who own homes and computers]? One clue is that 60 percent reported being in excellent health or very good health,” explained Gratzer.

The simple reason that we are moving towards government run healthcare is due to the fact that the private system we currently have is a massive failure, and to top it off, nobody that supports the current system has been able to come up with any ideas as to how we stop the bleeding.

There are solutions that could keep insurance mostly in the private sector, but nobody in the private sector wants this. They want to leave it as it is, so those who run it all, the insurance companies, keep the wool pulled over everyone's eyes telling us how good we have it. Why should the insurance industry care if healthcare costs eat up more and more of everyone's income? It's just more money in their pockets. Of course, eventually, this thinking will destroy the insurance industry, but just like everyone else, they can't see past today.

Hey dumbass, if I get sick and need medical attention. I will pay for it. I raised three kids to the age of majority and I paid every medical cost that was incurred. I have never failed to pay any bill EVER. You obviously don't know who the fuck your talking to. I'm not some yahoo that depends on govt. handouts.

To answer your question I don't know how many wealthy people go without health insurance, but I can tell you that.. according to the Census Bureau report, there are 8.3 million uninsured people who make between $50,000 and $74,999 per year and 8.74 million who make more than $75,000 a year. That’s roughly 17 million people who ought to be able to “afford” health insurance because they make substantially more than the median household income of $46,326, yet they choose not to.

“Many Americans are uninsured by choice,” wrote Dr. David Gratzer in his book “The Cure: How Capitalism Can Save American Health Care.” Gratzer cited a study of the “nonpoor uninsured” from the California Healthcare Foundation.

“Why the lack of insurance [among people who own homes and computers]? One clue is that 60 percent reported being in excellent health or very good health,” explained Gratzer.

Hey dumbass, those are the people I'm talking about. When one of them gets sick, they can no longer work, nor can they pay for their healthcare out of pocket. I'm not talking about getting a cold you idiot; I'm talking about cancer or something serious, where medical treatment goes into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then they can't pay for it, but they still get treatment and file for bankruptcy. And the cost is passed on to everyone else.

I know how much it costs. My late wife's medical bills to treat her were over $1 million dollars, and that was just for ten months. And yes, prior to being diagnosed with leukemia, she was in great health. So don't tell me how you will pay for your own medical care if you or someone in your family becomes really sick. You are full of shit.

The simple reason that we are moving towards government run healthcare is due to the fact that the private system we currently have is a massive failure, and to top it off, nobody that supports the current system has been able to come up with any ideas as to how we stop the bleeding.

There are solutions that could keep insurance mostly in the private sector, but nobody in the private sector wants this. They want to leave it as it is, so those who run it all, the insurance companies, keep the wool pulled over everyone's eyes telling us how good we have it. Why should the insurance industry care if healthcare costs eat up more and more of everyone's income? It's just more money in their pockets. Of course, eventually, this thinking will destroy the insurance industry, but just like everyone else, they can't see past today.

If by "bleeding", you mean rising health care costs no one who support government run health care, certainly no one in Congress or the WH, has any ideas about how to stop it either. Now that the CBO has told us that the House bill will increase health care costs, not reduce them, when Obama continues to tell us that his plan will rein in health care costs and make US companies more competitive, he sounds about as credible as Saddam did when he promised his people the Iraqi military would be victorious over us, and poor Bob Gibbs sounds about as credible as Baghdad Bob did when he repeats Obama's lies.

No one knows how to fix what is wrong with our present health care system before the August recess, but it should be obvious to everyone that Obama believes the more the American people know about his plan the less likely they are to support it and that is why he is trying to rush it through Congress before the August recess. No private insurance company ever tried to run a scam on the American people as fundamentally dishonest as the one Obama is trying to run on us.

Hey dumbass, those are the people I'm talking about. When one of them gets sick, they can no longer work, nor can they pay for their healthcare out of pocket. I'm not talking about getting a cold you idiot; I'm talking about cancer or something serious, where medical treatment goes into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then they can't pay for it, but they still get treatment and file for bankruptcy. And the cost is passed on to everyone else.

I know how much it costs. My late wife's medical bills to treat her were over $1 million dollars, and that was just for ten months. And yes, prior to being diagnosed with leukemia, she was in great health. So don't tell me how you will pay for your own medical care if you or someone in your family becomes really sick. You are full of shit.

You don't that, when one of them gets sick, where they can no longer work, they will not be able to pay for their healthcare out of pocket. Just because you're an idiot doesnt mean the rest of America is.

You have no idea what I'm capable of paying. So before you spew more stupid shit, you should learn more about the person of which you speak.

You don't that, when one of them gets sick, where they can no longer work, they will not be able to pay for their healthcare out of pocket. Just because you're an idiot doesnt mean the rest of America is.

You have no idea what I'm capable of paying. So before you spew more stupid shit, you should learn more about the person of which you speak.

My girlfriend is a millionaire. She doesn't have to work, but she works at a hospital just so she can have health insurance, because she is smart enough to understand that if she got really sick, she could lose everything she has. People with any real assets will do what they have to in order to protect those assets. Those who don't obviously don't have anything worth protecting and therefore will pass the costs on to everyone else.

Now, you may never get truly sick. You and your family may be one of the lucky ones. But if fate does strike, you will be kicking yourself in the ass for the rest of your life. Either that, or you just don't have the money to begin with and are just kidding yourself.

Forum List

Back