Jim DeMint hates veterans!

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
WASHINGTON - You can't accuse Sen. Jim DeMint of only talking the talk.

DeMint, among the most stringent anti-spending lawmakers, was the only senator Thursday to vote against a bill giving employers tax breaks for hiring military veterans.

The legislation, part of the jobs package President Barack Obama sent to Congress in September, passed the Senate by a 94-1 margin in a vote set on the eve of Veterans Day.

The measure, which the House is expected to pass soon, gives employers tax credits ranging from $2,400 to $9,600 for hiring unemployed vets and keeping them on the job for at least a year.

It also provides job counseling, training and placement assistance.

"We're pandering to different political groups with programs that have proven to be ineffective," DeMint said on the Senate floor. "All Americans deserve the same opportunity to get hired. I cannot support this tax credit because I do not believe the government should privilege one American over another when it comes to work."

Democrats were quick to criticize DeMint.

DeMint, a Greenville Republican, said he understands his vote could hurt him in a pro-military state with a large number of veterans.

"I'll probably get accused of not supporting veterans by the politicians pandering for their votes, but I'm not going to be intimidated into voting for something that may make sense politically but is inherently unfair and isn't going to work," DeMint said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Seneca Republican and South Carolina's senior senator, voted for the legislation.

DeMint said the jobs measure isn't the right way to express gratitude to the nation's veterans.

Read more: Jim DeMint: Hiring initiative favoring veterans "inherently unfair" | islandpacket.com

Jim DeMint: Hiring initiative favoring veterans "inherently unfair" | islandpacket.com

The bill passed 94 to 1 and DeMint was the ONLY POLITICIAN to vote against it.

The question I have for the boards is, do you agree with DeMint and think that veterans should not be given preferential hiring via tax breaks for the business that hires them, or, do you think that DeMint is totally wrong, and because of what our veterans have sacrificed in the form of separation from family and deployments, actually deserve this bill?

Me personally? I think DeMint is an asshole, especially to vote as he did on the day before Veterans Day.

No where in that article did it even mention that Sen. DeMint hates vets.

his reason was

"We're pandering to different political groups with programs that have proven to be ineffective," DeMint said on the Senate floor. "All Americans deserve the same opportunity to get hired. I cannot support this tax credit because I do not believe the government should privilege one American over another when it comes to work."
Read more: Jim DeMint: Hiring initiative favoring veterans "inherently unfair" | islandpacket.com

the demonrats should not use our soldiers for political pawns ever!

his reason was

Were you expecting rational thought from GayBikerBoy? You should know better, WillyT. That would involve using that drug addled brain of his. Ain't gonna happen.

his reason was

Were you expecting rational thought from GayBikerBoy? You should know better, WillyT. That would involve using that drug addled brain of his. Ain't gonna happen.

No.. but I like to point out that the democrats are now attempting to use soldiers and vets as political pawns. it makes me ill.

Last edited:
demint is right..... it is inherently unfair in that it gives preferance to vets over others......

but i have no problem with giving preferance to vets over others in encouraging businesses to choose a vet.......

life is not fair, wear a helmet.........

Demint is a tool of the Baggers.

ows are cows

Be that as it may... that the left would use our veterans on today of all days, in order to score cheap, and blatantly wrong, political points is disgusting. DeMint wasn't voting against our Vets, he was voting against out of control spending - and those who came up with this bullshit are the ones using our military for their petty politics. Scum. Republicans and Democrats... fucking scum.

his reason was

No.. but I like to point out that the democrats are now attempting to use soldiers and vets as political pawns. it makes me ill.

both sides have been using soldiers and vets as political pawns since pretty much teh founding of the country.......

soldiers and vets are tough tho, i know they can take it.......

I understand DeMint's point of view. I respect him for it. But the military has served this country. Helping them should be a priority. They earned it. Did he?

both sides have been using soldiers and vets as political pawns since pretty much teh founding of the country.......

soldiers and vets are tough tho, i know they can take it.......

No one is saying they can't take it.... but some of us... those with a moral compass... feel that they should not have to.

ows are cows

Be that as it may... that the left would use our veterans on today of all days, in order to score cheap, and blatantly wrong, political points is disgusting. DeMint wasn't voting against our Vets, he was voting against out of control spending - and those who came up with this bullshit are the ones using our military for their petty politics. Scum. Republicans and Democrats... fucking scum.

There some those who are so mindless, maybe because the bleach has reached the few brain cells they have left after a life of sex and drugs, they call everything "out of control spending".

I understand DeMint's point of view. I respect him for it. But the military has served this country. Helping them should be a priority. They earned it. Did he?

What he did does not matter. Fucking idiot. He voted his conscience... the rest voted like fucking sheep... and why? Not because they give a shit about our Vets, but because they want to use the misfortune of some of our vets for their petty political power grabs.

ows are cows

no, demint was voting against giving one group (vets) an advantage to being hired over another (non vets)......... has nothing to do with spending........

WASHINGTON - You can't accuse Sen. Jim DeMint of only talking the talk.

DeMint, among the most stringent anti-spending lawmakers, was the only senator Thursday to vote against a bill giving employers tax breaks for hiring military veterans.

The legislation, part of the jobs package President Barack Obama sent to Congress in September, passed the Senate by a 94-1 margin in a vote set on the eve of Veterans Day.

The measure, which the House is expected to pass soon, gives employers tax credits ranging from $2,400 to $9,600 for hiring unemployed vets and keeping them on the job for at least a year.

It also provides job counseling, training and placement assistance.

Democrats were quick to criticize DeMint.

DeMint, a Greenville Republican, said he understands his vote could hurt him in a pro-military state with a large number of veterans.

"I'll probably get accused of not supporting veterans by the politicians pandering for their votes, but I'm not going to be intimidated into voting for something that may make sense politically but is inherently unfair and isn't going to work," DeMint said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Seneca Republican and South Carolina's senior senator, voted for the legislation.

DeMint said the jobs measure isn't the right way to express gratitude to the nation's veterans.

Jim DeMint: Hiring initiative favoring veterans "inherently unfair" | islandpacket.com

The bill passed 94 to 1 and DeMint was the ONLY POLITICIAN to vote against it.

The question I have for the boards is, do you agree with DeMint and think that veterans should not be given preferential hiring via tax breaks for the business that hires them, or, do you think that DeMint is totally wrong, and because of what our veterans have sacrificed in the form of separation from family and deployments, actually deserve this bill?

Me personally? I think DeMint is an asshole, especially to vote as he did on the day before Veterans Day.

It was all for show, and does nothing to get those men and women employed. Training for civilian jobs would have been better. Tax credits dont trump experience. The vote was nothing more then politicking and posing for the cameras.

ows are cows

no, demint was voting against giving one group (vets) an advantage to being hired over another (non vets)......... has nothing to do with spending........

I know exactly what the vote was. It was a 'look at us, we care' vote... and it amounts to jack shit that will actually help the Vets.

I have no issue with how DeMint voted. I have an issue with political grandstanding by the rest of these fucking corrupt bastards on the backs of our Vets.

Forum List

Back