Jim Crow Laws alive and well thanks to reps and dems

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
The New Jim Crow: How the War on Drugs Gave Birth to a Permanent American Undercaste | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

•There are more African Americans under correctional control today — in prison or jail, on probation or parole — than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began.

•As of 2004, more African American men were disenfranchised (due to felon disenfranchisement laws) than in 1870, the year the Fifteenth Amendment was ratified, prohibiting laws that explicitly deny the right to vote on the basis of race.

•A black child born today is less likely to be raised by both parents than a black child born during slavery. The recent disintegration of the African American family is due in large part to the mass imprisonment of black fathers.

•If you take into account prisoners, a large majority of African American men in some urban areas have been labeled felons for life. (In the Chicago area, the figure is nearly 80%.) These men are part of a growing undercaste — not class, caste — permanently relegated, by law, to a second-class status. They can be denied the right to vote, automatically excluded from juries, and legally discriminated against in employment, housing, access to education, and public benefits, much as their grandparents and great-grandparents were during the Jim Crow era.

More black prisoners than black slaves at the height of slavery, madness.

I agree.

It is obvious that you should dedicate your life to convincing blacks to stop choosing to break the law and instead live life as law abiding husbands, wives, children and parents.

Good luck.

I agree.

It is obvious that you should dedicate your life to convincing blacks to stop choosing to break the law and instead live life as law abiding husbands, wives, children and parents.

Good luck.

I prefer dedications that aim towards directing gov't not to restrict liberties of americans. Not to spend money we don't have and not to be so in love with the police state.

I agree.

Good luck.
There are laws and there are laws.

If you are referring to Blacks breaking laws in ways that harm others I agree with you. But I simply cannot be critical of someone whose opportunities to find lawful employment are statistically limited and who turns to selling something which is far less harmful than cigarettes or beverage alcohol to earn some money.

A significant percentage of Black prison inmates were convicted of nothing more serious than selling marijuana -- and that's a goddam shame!

The reason for the destruction of Black families can be put right at the door step of Democrats who have made generations of Black people dependent on govt.

The reason for the destruction of Black families can be put right at the door step of Democrats who have made generations of Black people dependent on govt.

That certainly hurts them, but that's another issue.

The Jim Crow laws regarding the War on Some Drugs are the reason why there's such a higher percentage of blacks in prison.

Our society does not single out blacks, blacks rise to the forfront in crime because the commit most of them. To compare the number in jail to sales 150 years ago is stupid. Look at the population increase.; It is easy to fix, stop commit crimes and we will stop putting you in jail As for one of us deciding what laws are worth obeying and ignore is way past stupid. We can't let people decide what laws they will obey and which ones are irrevelant.

Our society does not single out blacks, blacks rise to the forfront in crime because the commit most of them. To compare the number in jail to sales 150 years ago is stupid. Look at the population increase.; It is easy to fix, stop commit crimes and we will stop putting you in jail As for one of us deciding what laws are worth obeying and ignore is way past stupid. We can't let people decide what laws they will obey and which ones are irrevelant.

Considering me a law abiding citizen because I take a less healthy drug on weekends (alcohol) and considering someone a law breaking citizen cuz they use a less dangerous (marijuana) is nothing short of psychotic and shows a downright hate of liberty and a love of hypocrisy.

Forum List

Back