Jim Carrey: Less Prozac, More God

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

JIM CARREY TELLS '60 MINUTES': MORE GOD, LESS PROZAC
Thu Nov 18 2004 16:29:15 ET

Jim Carrey says the anti-depressant Prozac that he took may have helped him at one time, but he's better off without it now. In fact, says the actor, a no-drugs-or-alcohol policy and a spiritual life are the things that make him feel good. Carrey speaks frankly in a rare one-on-one interview with Steve Kroft to be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday, Nov. 21 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

"I was on Prozac for a long time," he tells Kroft. "It may have helped me out of a jam for a little bit, but people stay on it forever." Then he describes being on the medication as not taking away the illness's peaks and valleys, only softening them. "There are peaks, there are valleys, but they're all kind of carved and smoothed out...It feels like a low level of despair you live in where you're not getting any answers but you're living okay and you can smile at the office," he says. "You know, I had to get off at a certain point because I realized that ...everything is okay."

Carrey takes nothing now. "I rarely drink coffee. I am very serious about no alcohol, no drugs," he says, "Life is too beautiful."

During the interview at his home, he invited 60 MINUTES cameras to one of his most beautiful and private spots, his "center of the universe," where he goes to escape the world and where he tells Kroft his feelings about God. "This is where I hang out with Buddha, Krishna...all those guys," says Carrey about a lean-to adorned with candles and a bed built high on his hillside property in Brentwood, Calif.

"I'm a Buddhist, I'm a Muslim, I'm a Christian. I'm whatever you want me to be...it all comes down to the same thing," he tells Kroft. Carrey says he believes they are all the same God and it is this conviction and spirituality that make him happy.

Good for him. :cof:

Life is too beatiful? Man I 'shroomed back in freshman year and boy, things were never prettier. The colooors :thewave:

nakedemperor said:
Life is too beatiful? Man I 'shroomed back in freshman year and boy, things were never prettier. The colooors :thewave:
freeandfun1 said:
I bet it won't be long she will be dragging him off to a Korean Evangelical Church. I bet after that he won't be saying they (Buddha, Alah, God, etc.) are all the same! :
But if Jim Carrey were to attend a Korean Evangelical Church on shrooms, perhaps that would be interesting to see.

Seriously, it's good that he's happy and we all know how 60 Minutes can spin things too, maybe he's not too lost.

-=d=- said:
The brother sounds lost, imo. :(

I think there is a distinct difference between the gods of those three religions.

If Jim is honestly seeking, I think he'll gradually come to find the difference, and then hopefully choose wisely.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Here we have someone from Hollywood making some profound friggin' statement. Well Woo Hoo!!
Jim Carey doesn't live in the same world the rest of us do. He doesn't have to worry about money and paying bills. He doesn't have to worry about a filthy house and getting the roof repaired. Or how to put his kids through college, getting a date, etc etc.
I've been on Zoloft for years. Have tried to go off with dire results, and I'm a Christian too. But depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain (I inherited it from my dearly departed father). It has NOTHING to do with spirituality.
That said, getting off anti-depressants might have been a bit smoother had I been a bazillionaire with anything and everything at my fingertips, and a smooth ride in life. Dealing with the "average Joe" stuff ain't the same.
Once again, Hollywood -stick to acting. Otherwise... :321:

GWBfan said:
Here we have someone from Hollywood making some profound friggin' statement. Well Woo Hoo!!
Jim Carey doesn't live in the same world the rest of us do. He doesn't have to worry about money and paying bills. He doesn't have to worry about a filthy house and getting the roof repaired. Or how to put his kids through college, getting a date, etc etc.
I've been on Zoloft for years. Have tried to go off with dire results, and I'm a Christian too. But depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain (I inherited it from my dearly departed father). It has NOTHING to do with spirituality.
That said, getting off anti-depressants might have been a bit smoother had I been a bazillionaire with anything and everything at my fingertips, and a smooth ride in life. Dealing with the "average Joe" stuff ain't the same.

Well, Carey isn't a doctor! Prozac is a Seratonin uptake drug, and is very effective when prescribed properly. It's possible that Carey didn't need Prozac at, or that he needed to change to another variety of Uptake med. Many who have used a certain Seratonin uptake med for a few years will sometimes have to change to another with a little difference in it's molecular structure......Prozac is one of the early ones. There are many more on the market now that are more specific than Prozac.........such as Effexor..........and others.

Kudo's to Carey if he can live without the Prozac, but many who were told to stay on it because of the low Seratonin uptake activity of there brains causing chronic depression have indeed weaned off of it and have been able to cope without. Other's have had only temporary success, and had to go back, because they thought they were healed somehow, and then along came a extremely stressful situation in their life, and Waa Laa, they were "tail-spinning" into anxiety and depression.

These drugs thankfully are not addictive, but they are very difficult to cut back from, because they do have some very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms due to their long half-lives in the body.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

He went on Howard Stern and explained what it's like to be Jim Carrey. Some things I envy, some I don't. It's a bit sad/depressing if you don't have friends family and loveones around to enjoy your life with. He seems lonely even if he's not alone.

I'd like to say "who's fault is that?" but money changes people. You would have to select a few close family and friends and make them your crew for life.

But, he is a comic genius. I'm watching Evan Almighty. The other day the Cable Guy. He's done so many great comedies when you think about it.

But I like Adam Sandler best. His movies make you laugh and are touching, like Blended.

Tom Hanks does the best movies.

Eddie Murphy was doing great movies but then his movies started sucking more and more.

Bill Cosby

I like these guys The Frat Pack is a nickname given to a group of comedy actors who have appeared together in many of the highest-grossing comedy movies since the mid-1990s. The group is usually considered to include Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell, Jack Black, Paul Rudd, and Vince Vaughn.

He went on Howard Stern and explained what it's like to be Jim Carrey. Some things I envy, some I don't. It's a bit sad/depressing if you don't have friends family and loveones around to enjoy your life with. He seems lonely even if he's not alone.

I'd like to say "who's fault is that?" but money changes people. You would have to select a few close family and friends and make them your crew for life.

But, he is a comic genius. I'm watching Evan Almighty. The other day the Cable Guy. He's done so many great comedies when you think about it.

But I like Adam Sandler best. His movies make you laugh and are touching, like Blended.

Tom Hanks does the best movies.

Eddie Murphy was doing great movies but then his movies started sucking more and more.

Bill Cosby

I like these guys The Frat Pack is a nickname given to a group of comedy actors who have appeared together in many of the highest-grossing comedy movies since the mid-1990s. The group is usually considered to include Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell, Jack Black, Paul Rudd, and Vince Vaughn.

We've been waiting 18 years for you to respond to this thread. At last, the day is here!

I am not a religious person but more God does help the primitives and barbarians stay on a decent moral path.

I may not know what it’s like to be rich like he is but I also never lived in my car with my family like he did.

Btw how you doing 17 years later?

Forum List

Back