Jim Bunning Threatens To Resign

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
I used to work with a brilliant man and sometime political operative who always said "politics is a full contact team sport". How right he was.

Jim Bunning Threatens To Resign From Senate To Hurt GOP

The Louisville Courier-Journal has another bombshell about Sen. Jim Bunning, the embattled Republican who is increasingly going rogue in an effort to hold onto his seat.

In recent weeks, Senate Republican leaders have walked right up to the edge of declaring open war on Bunning. Minority Leader (and fellow Kentucky senator) Mitch McConnell and others reportedly believe Bunning is likely to lose his reelection race in 2010, and so are trying to nudge him into retirement by sending signals that the party establishment will not back him.

Bunning has responded aggressively, threatening to sue the Senate Republicans' campaign arm if it doesn't fully back his reelection.

And now the latest: Bunning "reportedly said privately that if he is hindered in raising money for his re-election campaign he is ready with a response that would be politically devastating for Senate Republicans: his resignation."

The Kentucky Republican suggested that possible scenario at a campaign fundraiser for him on Capitol Hill earlier this week, according to three sources who asked not to be identified because of the politically sensitive nature of Bunning's remarks.

The implication, they said, was that Bunning would allow Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, a Democrat, to appoint his replacement -- a move that could give Democrats the 60 votes they need to block Republican filibusters in the Senate.

"I would get the last laugh. Don't forget Kentucky has a Democrat governor," one of the sources quoted Bunning as saying.

"The only logical extension of that comment is, '(Make me mad) ... enough and I'll resign, and then you've got 60 Democrats,' " said another source who was present at the event.

I used to work with a brilliant man and sometime political operative who always said "politics is a full contact team sport". How right he was.

The Louisville Courier-Journal has another bombshell about Sen. Jim Bunning, the embattled Republican who is increasingly going rogue in an effort to hold onto his seat.

In recent weeks, Senate Republican leaders have walked right up to the edge of declaring open war on Bunning. Minority Leader (and fellow Kentucky senator) Mitch McConnell and others reportedly believe Bunning is likely to lose his reelection race in 2010, and so are trying to nudge him into retirement by sending signals that the party establishment will not back him.

Bunning has responded aggressively, threatening to sue the Senate Republicans' campaign arm if it doesn't fully back his reelection.

And now the latest: Bunning "reportedly said privately that if he is hindered in raising money for his re-election campaign he is ready with a response that would be politically devastating for Senate Republicans: his resignation."

The Kentucky Republican suggested that possible scenario at a campaign fundraiser for him on Capitol Hill earlier this week, according to three sources who asked not to be identified because of the politically sensitive nature of Bunning's remarks.

The implication, they said, was that Bunning would allow Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, a Democrat, to appoint his replacement -- a move that could give Democrats the 60 votes they need to block Republican filibusters in the Senate.

"I would get the last laugh. Don't forget Kentucky has a Democrat governor," one of the sources quoted Bunning as saying.

"The only logical extension of that comment is, '(Make me mad) ... enough and I'll resign, and then you've got 60 Democrats,' " said another source who was present at the event.

This gave me a good laugh.

The GOP just got put in their place badly. Though I wonder if they are truly THAT stupid to continue to do this to him.

The GOP just got put in their place badly. Though I wonder if they are truly THAT stupid to continue to do this to him.

depends on what Rush tells them to do. :eusa_whistle:

Actually, I think the GOP has gone all in hoping for Obama to fail. I think they'd rather have 60 seats go to dems for a while that way they can blame the dems if things go south... and if the dems succeed, they're finished anyway. So why not give the dems a filibuster proof majority?

Actually, I think the GOP has gone all in hoping for Obama to fail. I think they'd rather have 60 seats go to dems for a while that way they can blame the dems if things go south... and if the dems succeed, they're finished anyway. So why not give the dems a filibuster proof majority?

Actually after Steele kowtowed to Rush, he practically is the leader of the GOP. Which is a sad sad day for the GOP.

I agree with that 2nd statement of yours. Their new mantra seems to be "No we can't!"

As I've said all along...the racists and the tramplers of human rights have always been Dems. They hid in the Republican party for a while, but they'll swing back.

You guys can have them.

No, the GOP recognizes bad fiscal policy and knows Obama will fail if he doesn't jump track.

Which he won't because he wants to see America run into the ground. We don't. Which is why we speak out against him.

You guys are the ones who "want" the failure. Your absolute pigheaded indifference to history, human rights, and economic responsibility are the reason we're in this mess. Thanks a lot, assholes.

As I've said all along...the racists and the tramplers of human rights have always been Dems. They hid in the Republican party for a while, but they'll swing back.

You guys can have them.

Really now? So Lincoln was a Dem then?

How can he sue them for not supporting him? He might as well resign now, he certainly signed his GOP death warrant.

That's what happens when you announce you have no Republican values.

Bunning should go. The Dems already have 62 votes at present, thanks to 'the three.' 63 won't make a difference.

I love HuffPo :eusa_hand:

From the rest of the Article they did not quote from Bunning himself:

It's not true. I intend to fulfill my obligation to the people of Kentucky. If you are going to write something like this, you better make your sources known, because they are lying.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090227/NEWS01/90227025

yeah, Huffpo's known for her accuracy and ethical reporting.

Sheesh. She's no Obamite, is she?

It's funny, I was looking at some of the crap on there from when Obama and Hillary were running against each other, and the stuff she ran about Hillary..whew. I doubt they'll ever be in a room together.

Forum List

Back