Jill Carroll=Leftie Ingrate?

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11102758/

More distressing to me than the obviously disturbing video of her tearfully pleading for her life is what I discovered on a very popular conservative blog. Read the comments section here for a good mirror image of much of the stupidity and extremism you can find at Daily KOS and DU:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=19018_JihadTV_Runs_Another_Hostage_Video#comments

I have four thoughts/questions I'd like to share with the much more intelligent and mature folks at USMB in regards to this Jill Carroll story. Posting on LGF with its conservative kos clones would be a waste of time I think.

1- Where did or when did she say things to friends or the press about going on a "peace mission" or anything else relating to "exposing the horrors of American occupation"? i'm really getting tired of all journalists in iraq who end up in trouble or cause the coalition headaches being accused of this. I'd like some proof.
I read many of her stories from the CSM. They are full of horrifying, heartbreaking details about the toll the insurgency has had on children and Iraqi families. Very little "American imperialist war criminal" crap that she is being accused of reporting by these idiots at LGF and the Rush Limbaugh crowd.

2- Why do they compare her response to her plight with that of members of the US military? NO ONE from the US military has been captured or kidnapped and paraded before a camera and threatened with impending death. When that finally does happen, I hate to think of the consequences to morale and the war effort here in America. Do we really think most of our brave men and women would be unfazed by their plight? What if they had been beaten terribly, or even raped? I doubt the kidnappers will show the military personnel an inch of the mercy they might show Jill Carroll. We could very well one day see a brave Marine or soldier crying on camera, after being tortured, or raped, or beaten badly. I'd love for all these commenters to have a sword over their head and see how they react.

3- Women in the military. It is inevitable that one day in this conflict or another, one or more of our women in the military will be captured. What happens to them and how the American people respond to that will be a very dicey question IMHO. I do not think this country is ready for female casualties, or worse, female POW's who face brutal rape, torture and permenent scarring.

4- I really, really pray for Carroll's safe release. But more than anything else, I pray for the brutal, painful death of her kidnappers. Because even if they let her go, they will only kidnap someone else and cause them and their families much pain and suffering. These bastards must pay for their crimes against the Iraqi people and Coalition forces.

NATO AIR said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11102758/

More distressing to me than the obviously disturbing video of her tearfully pleading for her life is what I discovered on a very popular conservative blog. Read the comments section here for a good mirror image of much of the stupidity and extremism you can find at Daily KOS and DU:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=19018_JihadTV_Runs_Another_Hostage_Video#comments

I have four thoughts/questions I'd like to share with the much more intelligent and mature folks at USMB in regards to this Jill Carroll story. Posting on LGF with its conservative kos clones would be a waste of time I think.

1- Where did or when did she say things to friends or the press about going on a "peace mission" or anything else relating to "exposing the horrors of American occupation"? i'm really getting tired of all journalists in iraq who end up in trouble or cause the coalition headaches being accused of this. I'd like some proof.
I read many of her stories from the CSM. They are full of horrifying, heartbreaking details about the toll the insurgency has had on children and Iraqi families. Very little "American imperialist war criminal" crap that she is being accused of reporting by these idiots at LGF and the Rush Limbaugh crowd.

2- Why do they compare her response to her plight with that of members of the US military? NO ONE from the US military has been captured or kidnapped and paraded before a camera and threatened with impending death. When that finally does happen, I hate to think of the consequences to morale and the war effort here in America. Do we really think most of our brave men and women would be unfazed by their plight? What if they had been beaten terribly, or even raped? I doubt the kidnappers will show the military personnel an inch of the mercy they might show Jill Carroll. We could very well one day see a brave Marine or soldier crying on camera, after being tortured, or raped, or beaten badly. I'd love for all these commenters to have a sword over their head and see how they react.

3- Women in the military. It is inevitable that one day in this conflict or another, one or more of our women in the military will be captured. What happens to them and how the American people respond to that will be a very dicey question IMHO. I do not think this country is ready for female casualties, or worse, female POW's who face brutal rape, torture and permenent scarring.

4- I really, really pray for Carroll's safe release. But more than anything else, I pray for the brutal, painful death of her kidnappers. Because even if they let her go, they will only kidnap someone else and cause them and their families much pain and suffering. These bastards must pay for their crimes against the Iraqi people and Coalition forces.

1. I haven't heard anyone say anything about her political leanings. Then again, I haven't been paying the situation much attention.

2. I suppose that eventually (odds being what they are) a member of the US military will be captured. However, it appears the terrorists are more interested in going after unarmed individuals.

3. Female military members have been captured in recent conflicts (Jessica Lynch ring a bell? and that is jsut one of quite a few). There have been female casualties as well; remember the incident when a convoy took a wrong turn? women were killed in that incident and just recently a female US Air Force enlisted gal was killed. There are more in between the two.

4. yep

One thing that gives me hope about this girl is the scarf on her head. The ones they execute don't have scarves because the terrorists don't consider them people...they're infidels. It's quite possible that she won't be killed. They also let the deadline pass, another first.

CSM said:
1. I haven't heard anyone say anything about her political leanings. Then again, I haven't been paying the situation much attention.

2. I suppose that eventually (odds being what they are) a member of the US military will be captured. However, it appears the terrorists are more interested in going after unarmed individuals.

3. Female military members have been captured in recent conflicts (Jessica Lynch ring a bell? and that is jsut one of quite a few). There have been female casualties as well; remember the incident when a convoy took a wrong turn? women were killed in that incident and just recently a female US Air Force enlisted gal was killed. There are more in between the two.

4. yep

1. I pay attention to it because I have two good friends who are journalists overseas, one focuses on Venuzeula and Colombia and the other in Central Asia, both dangerous places to be a journalist in, especially one who doesn't suck up to the regimes or the insurgent groups. I sympathize with Carroll's family as I would feel the same way if one of them were kidnapped, and as a young man with some idealism and dreams remaining, I feel horrible for how her experience has turned out.

2. The insurgents/terrorists tactics are always changing, and thus I think the capture of American soldiers will become part of their strategy as they get more desperate in the coming months.

3. Well, PFC Lynch was not tortured or really harmed. None of them were. They were killed in combat or by terrorist attack, but none of them have been sadistically tortured or harmed. There was an interesting story from Israel's involvement in Lebanon of three Israeli female soldiers who were brutally raped, tortured and scarred for life by a radical offshoot of Hezbollah in the late 90's. Apparently video of all this was sent to the Israeli government and it was supressed because of their fears it would harm the IDF's mission in S. Lebanon further at the time. Hezbollah was so shocked at what happened they killed the ringleader of the offshoot group (seen in the video) and left his body in front of an IDF post.

4. No mercy for the terrorists.

Hobbit said:
One thing that gives me hope about this girl is the scarf on her head. The ones they execute don't have scarves because the terrorists don't consider them people...they're infidels. It's quite possible that she won't be killed. They also let the deadline pass, another first.

Yes, well that is good news. A good point that Archangel had also made a week or two ago about her not wearing the headscarf (he figured she was as good as dead without it). A good question is which group has her.... the terrorists linked to Al-Qaeda or the insurgent terrorists that are homegrown and answer to the radical Sunni clerics?

Forum List

Back