JFK Is A' Rolling In His Grave

No less a man than Ronald Reagan himself wanted the end of nuclear weapons on this Earth.
They may be strategically necessary, but they're the most frightening montrosities we have on this planet.
Consider also the potential nuclear wars that could break out in the future as more nations gain nuclear weapons; China/Taiwan, India/Pakistan, North/South Korea, Japan/North Korea, Russia/China, Iran/Israel, etc etc
It does not bode well for the future, but I don't think we can just disarm or downgrade our abilities as this gentlemen and others have advocated.

Call me a barbarian, but I don't see nuclear weapons as the bugaboo that others see them. They're simply another explosive device. What's the difference if we level a city using waves of bombers and conventional explosives as opposed to one or two nukes?

Let's not forget that we have idiots throughout the world who have these weapons and we can't ignore that fact. North Korea and China for starters. These two nations would certainly use nukes if it suited their purposes. Then there are wildcards like Iran, Syria and Lebanon. Let's also not forget our supposed "friends" - India and France. Although presently unlikely, it is not difficult to formulate a confrontational scenario with either country that has economic competition as its basis.

If I had been President on Sep 11, 2001 there would have been dozens of attacks with tac nukes of 1 - 5 kt on terrorist camps throughout the world. And those attacks would have come on the same day and I would not have had any regard for the country in which these camps resided.

The fact is that the worst thing about having nukes is if your enemy is convinced that you don't have the will to use them.

Forum List

Back