Jews and Political Correctness

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Saladin, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have gathered that accusations of racially or ethnically discriminatory views against minorities on the basis of certain policy positions (such as opposition to positive discrimination programs as "affirmative action") is somewhat anathema in the U.S. and subject to counter-accusations of stifling active discussion through "political correctness." Yet, it also strikes me that many critics of Israeli state policy (or more seriously, full-on anti-Zionism) will inevitably encounter accusations of bigoted hatred of Jews. What is the cause of this inconsistency? And is it not actually somewhat more "racist" to assume that Jews are some homogenous bloc that will all conform to the same political ideology? Isn't that the sort of ugly "group thinking" that is the basis of racism?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    The post is a garble of terms and words, difficult to discern the meaning.
    But while it is possible to oppose some or many or all of the policies of Israel without being an anti-semite, in actual practice one finds that anti-semites hide behind a "principled" political stand on Israel, knowing that expressing outright anti-semitism is socially unacceptable, in this country in most circles anyway.
    One way to tell the difference is to listen for strong condemnations of Israel for some policy that every Arab state maintains as a matter of course and goes unremarked.
    You don't have to look much further than this board for evidence of this.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,757
    I haven't had enough coffee this morning to be able to figure out what Saladin is trying to say. His post is so flowery that I doubt if he even understands it. I can say though that political correctness, no matter who is engaged in it, is a bunch a crap. Call a spade a spade. Say it like it really is.

4. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The post was a reference to those that claim that certain policy positions was evidence of what you refer to as "anti-Semitism." I found it inconsistent that those who refer to advocacy of certain policy positions in the case of U.S. racial minorities as evidence of "racism" are attacked for their petty adherence to "political correctness," but that comments such as yours are allowed to stand without such criticism.

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Yes I agree, Saladin's post is a little hard to figure out.

But the Rabbi's is very simple.

Any criticism of Israel puts you in the anti-semitic camp

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    No clearer.
    I am waiting to see any "inconsistency" here.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yep what other group has a recognized name for those who oppose them.

Actually antisemetic was co-opted it used to include all those of semetic descent (arabic) now it just means joos.

The joos are very good at playing politics. If you try and be politically correct with them you are just playing their game.

8. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I would argue with your absurd points but it is too early in the morning to go wallowing in the mud.

9. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Would I be correct is thinking that you are trying to point out a difference between Jews and Zionism?
    I have always been taught that being a Jew was by birth. (or conversion I guess)
    I have always been taught that promoting a nation of Israel was Zionism.
    One can be a Zionist without being Jewish.
    One can be a Jew and not a Zionist.

10. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The inconsistency is quite apparent; those who accuse others of bigotry towards standard racial minorities in the U.S. on account of policy positions that they adopt are themselves accused of rigidly upholding "political correctness"; those who accuse others of bigotry towards Jews on account of policy positions that they adopt are lauded for it. There's plenty of complaints about Al Sharpton on this board, but few about the far more unscrupulous Alan Dershowitz, who routinely accuses opponents of "anti-Semitism" (despite the fact that Arabs are Semites).

It's also the case that the proponents of this inconsistency know exactly who they are. For example, about 60 to 70% of the negative reputation (and several harassing private messages) that I have received has come from GHook93, with much screeching and yapping about "Islamofacist" usually attached. I've not yet seen this translate into a contribution of substantive thread comment on his part. Similarly, jillian has also provided her own little red mark for this thread without actual response...private assault before public confrontation is typically a sign of cowardice. ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2