Jewish Zealots Blocked From Entering Site

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
[blockquote]By DAN WALDMAN, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - Police turned back about 30 Jewish zealots to enter a disputed Jerusalem holy site under Muslim control Tuesday, saying the act could incite Palestinian violence.

The demonstration was by The Temple Mount Faithful, a group dedicated to rebuilding a biblical temple destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 B.C. and again by the Romans in 70 A.D.

The group wants to remove two mosques — the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa — built on the ancient site. Muslim tradition says the site is where the Prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven.[/blockquote]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_temple_mount

gop_jeff said:
[blockquote]By DAN WALDMAN, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - Police turned back about 30 Jewish zealots to enter a disputed Jerusalem holy site under Muslim control Tuesday, saying the act could incite Palestinian violence.

The demonstration was by The Temple Mount Faithful, a group dedicated to rebuilding a biblical temple destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 B.C. and again by the Romans in 70 A.D.

The group wants to remove two mosques — the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa — built on the ancient site. Muslim tradition says the site is where the Prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven.[/blockquote]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040727/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_temple_mount

Not really knowing anything but what I've read here, why are the jews called zealots, while the Islamicists aren't?

Kathianne said:
Not really knowing anything but what I've read here, why are the jews called zealots, while the Islamicists aren't?

In New Testament times, the Zealots were a group who wanted to overthrow the Roman Empire by force and establish an independent Jewish nation. I don't know if they meant zealot in the historical sense, or if they meant zealot in the modern negative sense.

gop_jeff said:
In New Testament times, the Zealots were a group who wanted to overthrow the Roman Empire by force and establish an independent Jewish nation. I don't know if they meant zealot in the historical sense, or if they meant zealot in the modern negative sense.

Actually the Jewish people under the Roman occupation did not want to establish an independent Jewish nation but simply to get the Romans and their legions out of Israel.

The Jewish nation wasn't independent but simply under Roman rule during that time. That is what the hoped for messianic period would bring as prophecied.

But alas it didn't happen.

ajwps said:
The Jewish nation wasn't independent but simply under Roman rule during that time. That is what the hoped for messianic period would bring as prophecied.

But alas it didn't happen.

The irony is so thick here... never mind that Jesus of Nazareth was alive during this time, fulfilling one of many Messianic prophecies.

gop_jeff said:
The irony is so thick here... never mind that Jesus of Nazareth was alive during this time, fulfilling one of many Messianic prophecies.

Jeff just which one of the prophecies did Jesus of Nazareth (Bethlehem) fulfill? I'm just curious...

Forum List

Back