Jewish sexism?

I was raised and bar mitzvahed Orthodox in NY , I don't remember there being any other kind in the Part of NYC where I was raised. My cousins on LI were in a conservative shul , Now I am a secular and gastronomic Jew :wink_2:

Long Island has become a HUGE Modern Orthodox stronghold.

When I grew up there L.I was a backwater, since then yes heavy migration from the city . Nassau county especially

men should be able to control themselves. :)
Should. operative word, should.

The traditional temple in Portland has a neat compromise. The have three sections, women on the right, couples in the center, men on the left.

I live in a small town. The temple (someone's house) is ostensibly conservative, but women make up the Minyan

men should be able to control themselves. :)
Should. operative word, should.

The traditional temple in Portland has a neat compromise. The have three sections, women on the right, couples in the center, men on the left.

I live in a small town. The temple (someone's house) is ostensibly conservative, but women make up the Minyan

well, that does sound like a compromise.

i live in brooklyn. there are lots of us.... of every level of commitment to orthodoxy (or not).

Worth mentioning orthodox Judaism is NOT the original form of Judaism. Closest extant form of Judaism to what Moses and the like woulda practiced is called Karaite Judaism. Also called 'Scriptural Judaism' and doesn't use the Talmud but only the Tanach.

Reading around, seems this is purely an American policy and not a blanketd ecision for all of orthodox Judaism as women can still become rabbas in Israel (rabba being the feminine word for rabbi which is masculine.)

Why Orthodox Jews in Israel can ordain women as rabbis, but those in the Diaspora won't - Rabbis' Round Table

Worth mentioning orthodox Judaism is NOT the original form of Judaism. Closest extant form of Judaism to what Moses and the like woulda practiced is called Karaite Judaism. Also called 'Scriptural Judaism' and doesn't use the Talmud but only the Tanach.

Reading around, seems this is purely an American policy and not a blanketd ecision for all of orthodox Judaism as women can still become rabbas in Israel (rabba being the feminine word for rabbi which is masculine.)

Why Orthodox Jews in Israel can ordain women as rabbis, but those in the Diaspora won't - Rabbis' Round Table

Once again you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
About 1/3 of the Jews during the 1st Temple practiced 'Scriptural Judaism', mostly due to those disgruntled with the Oral Tradition.
The problem was that everybody practiced what THEY thought was the correct meaning of the verse; it was creating havoc.
By the way, no two people can practice 'Scriptural Judaism' the same and it makes Judaism look like complete chaos.

How does one slaughter an animal?
There no way to tell from the Torah.

How does one observe Shabbos?

How does one practice commerce?

What's Lashon Harah?

But a lot of wealthy Jews became greedy and corrupt during the 1st Temple and started doing things the way THEY wanted to do them.

Dunno what crap-for-brains came up with this but there's nada in Tanach about no female rabbis. No female priests yes, but that's very different from rabbis.

Can't verify that right now, but how about the Talmud? :)

-

It's a modern day (Post Haskalah) issue.
Deborah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was NOT happy that Barak did not carry the torch of Rabbinic leadership.

A woman as Prime Minister is obviously not a problem.

Deborah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was NOT happy that Barak did not carry the torch of Rabbinic leadership.

Yes Sir, there are even prophetesses in the Bible, but as Rabbis, I wonder what the Orthodox Jews say is the issue with a female Rabbi, comparable to Catholicism's forbidding of female preists...

-

Yes Sir, there are even prophetesses in the Bible, but as Rabbis, I wonder what the Orthodox Jews say is the issue with a female Rabbi, comparable to Catholicism's forbidding of female preists...

-
I do not want to be a Community Rabbi.
You have to be prepared to to deal with everyone knowing more than you.

Since a rabbi is just a learned member of the community and not a magician like a priest is, there is no logical reason why a woman can't be a rabbi. It bugs people, but if she can hold her own in an argument, and what woman can't, that is the qualification.

Since a rabbi is just a learned member of the community and not a magician like a priest is, there is no logical reason why a woman can't be a rabbi. It bugs people, but if she can hold her own in an argument, and what woman can't, that is the qualification.

Not quite that simple.
We have a few dozen Rabbis and only 3 of them will poskin Halacha.
The rest give classes and perform various services such as hospital visits and chevra chadusha (caring for the deceased and sitting shiva).
Being a posake is not fun and I don't envy anyone who takes such an onus upon themselves.

Eve (the original woman) didn't do too well in her arguing haha.

-

Women banned from being Rabbis in Judaism...sexism or not?

Top US rabbis officially ban women in rabbinic positions

-

that is only in orthodox Judaism.

and like most orthodox religions, women are second class citizens.

Not in my town.

what do you have, two jews in town?

I always wanted to be a Kohen.
How exactly are women 2nd class citizens?
It takes a man about 20-30 years to become a Rabbi, if ever.

Here I'll help you real quick. If God created the world in 6 days, man must of been here to know about it. There lesson over.

Women banned from being Rabbis in Judaism...sexism or not?

Top US rabbis officially ban women in rabbinic positions

-

Not in my town.

Here I'll help you real quick. If God created the world in 6 days, man must of been here to know about it. There lesson over.

I guess that means if you weren't alive 100 years ago, nothing you learn about your pre-birth history ever happened.

Not in my town.

I guess that means if you weren't alive 100 years ago, nothing you learn about your pre-birth history ever happened.

No, it means man was here before God.

Not in my town.

No, it means man was here before God.

You don't even realize how your logic blew you out of the water.
You are really one dumb person.
But we already knew that.

Dunno what crap-for-brains came up with this but there's nada in Tanach about no female rabbis. No female priests yes, but that's very different from rabbis.

Can't verify that right now, but how about the Talmud? :)

-

Unfortunately women because of their cycles were consider unclean

There are female rabbis and canters in the reform and conservative sects. It's going to take more to change the orthodox though

Forum List

Back