Jewish sects

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by KellyPickler, Mar 24, 2006.

1. KellyPickler

KellyPickler Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are Jewish, which Jewish sect are you?

This is a description of Jewish sects from http://www.jewishgateway.com :

Orthodox Judaism:
    The branch of Judaism that emphasizes strict adherence to halakhah, the body of laws and practices that are based on the Torah, or the Law of Moses. This includes not only the Law as found in the first five books of the Bible but the complex commentaries and elaborations upon it in the Midrash, Talmud, and other authoritative texts. Although there have always been Jews who strictly follow halakhah, modern Orthodox Judaism as a distinct movement arose principally in response to secularizing influences on Judaism in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Conservative Judaism:
    A branch of Judaism that arose in the late nineteenth century as a middle course between Reform and Orthodox forms of the faith. Conservative Jews hold that while their faith must adapt to the needs of the times, the traditional forms of Judaism are valid and should be changed only with great reluctance. They generally observe the Sabbath, the high holy days, and festivals in traditional ways. But they have adapted some innovations introduced by Reform Judaism.

Reform Judaism:
    The most liberal form of Judaism, which grew out of the Enlightenment in the eighteenth century. Reform Jews regard the moral aspects of the Jewish Law as binding, but do not feel obliged to follow customs that, in their view, are not adapted to the needs of modern times. English rather than Hebrew is generally used in services.

Hasidism :
    A popular religious movement that began in Eastern Europe in the eighteenth century, founded by the mystic known as Israel Eliezer Baal Shem Tov. Hasidism emphasizes optimism and joy expressed in song and dance as well as prayer. The leadership of a tzaddik ("righteous one"), a charismatic holy man, is of central importance. The Hasidic communities have a strong sense of communal identity, reinforced by the beards and black, and broad-brimmed hats worn by men.

Kabbalah:
    The mystical or esoteric tradition of Judaism. The Kabbalah focuses on the attainment of higher states of consciousness through meditation or contemplation of sacred texts. The best-known Kabbalistic diagram is known as the Tree of Life, which is regarded as a map of spiritual realms. Today the Kabbalah is practiced both by Jews and non-Jews.

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Welcome to the board.

Sorry, not Jewish. Anway, can you tell us what is your interest?

3. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Most of the people on this board belong to the messianic Jewish sect called "Christianity".

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Gotta be American Idol. I mean look at the Screen Name!

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I am from the little-known Jewish Sect called "Buddhism"....

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Yep. I saw the post being created in the Ethics section, and figured it was going to be about her dad being in jail.

No matter...Trollin, trollin trollin...My guess, anyway.

7. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    When I saw the handle of the poster, having seen Pickler on AI, I was certain this was a thread about Jewish Sex...Oy Vay! :D

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    There's only a couple of publicly Jewish posters on the board that I know of, Mustafa being the most prominent. But welcome to USMB anyway! :D

9. shepherdboy

shepherdboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    As mention by "NUC" above, where is the Messianic Jew sect? :rock: