Jewish Religion

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Man of 1951, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Man of 1951

Man of 1951 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if someone can enlighten me on the aspect of the Jewish Religion that says (or maybe ive heard wrong) that Jews are the Choosen People by God. I just want to know more information on this and the Jewish Religion in general.

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not true, or let's say, there are other Religions that believe this as well - I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, so will just leave it at that. I have heard many times "God has us numbered, unless your this, you will rot on earth" and as a friend of a Jew, maybe just this one particular Jewish girl, she doesn't feel this way at all.

3. Man of 1951

Man of 1951 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that many Jewish people don't feel that way, I aswell have several Jewish friends (as i go to a school 50%< are Jewish). But does it say anything like the choosen people thing in their scriptures or anything? I know many Jewish people dont feel that way, but I was talking in another forum where someone was saying Jewish people can do whatever they want because they are the choosen people. I was just wondering if it mentions these things in their scriptures. And i agree that some religions also preach this, but i was just curious as my lack of knowledge for the Jewish religion.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Here is some background on the question:

In the Old Testament of the Christian Bible (which are the Jewish scriptures), the Israelites are shown to be chosen by God. Abraham, the father of the Jewish nation (and the Arabs, interestingly enough) was called out of the land of the Chaldeans (present day Iraq) to Canaan (present day Israel/Palestine) by God. God promised him that his children would be numberless. This pledge was repeated to Abraham's son Isaac, and to his son Jacob, who was renamed by God to Israel. The sons of Israel moved from Canaan to Egypt, where they were eventually made into slaves. This is where Moses comes along, and, with a lot of God's help, leads the Israelites out of Egypt. Soon thereafter, God gives His law to the Israelites, making a covenant with them that they would be his chosen people, and that He would be their God.

5. Joan

Joan Mommy Dearest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    As early as the '70s, I heard in a Catholic Catechism class children being taught that "the Catholics will be the only ones seated at the right hand of the Father". My opinion, for what it's worth, is that we are all God's children.

6. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Joan I think that those are some very wise words !

7. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said, everyone has their own beliefs! some say they are the one's to go to heaven, some say no - either way, Joanie, your right with your words! bow to you! hahah!:D

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Should have used this then! :hail:

9. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I didn't see that one! :) next time!

10. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I agree completely, Joan.

Well, except for those Scientology wienies. [/kidding] :D