Jets set to fly with captain Brett

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I'm not surprised. The guy is awesome.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—Brett Favre has made quite an impression on his new teammates.

The ballots are in, and the veteran quarterback was voted one of the New York Jets’ offensive captains despite being with the team for less than a month.

“I’m honored,” Favre said Wednesday before the Jets’ first practice at their new home in Florham Park, N.J. “I felt a little uncomfortable to be voted. I feel like I need to earn it.”

Well, that’ll start Sunday when the Jets open the regular season at Miami with Favre under center.

“I don’t want it to be based on past performances or longevity, whatever,” Favre said. “All those things are important, but what’s important is what I do here and how I carry myself as a teammate, what type of leader I am. But you have to vote a captain, as every team does, early in the year and I’m honored to represent this team.”

Favre, acquired from Green Bay on Aug. 6 after coming out of retirement, joined new left guard Alan Faneca as offensive captains. Defensive end Shaun Ellis and safety Kerry Rhodes were selected captains on defense in the vote by players Tuesday, while David Bowens and Leon Washington will represent the special teams unit.

“Obviously, he’s fitting in well to be voted on by his peers to be a captain,” coach Eric Mangini said of Favre. “I think the question of how he’s adjusting, how he’s fitting in with the guys has been clearly answered by the fact that his peer group—I don’t know how peer groups work with that age differential—but the kids voted for him.”

The 38-year-old, gray-stubbled quarterback has been lauded throughout his career for being one of the game’s ultimate leaders. His new teammates recognized that, and the fact he has started an NFL-record 253 consecutive games, showing a penchant for playing through pain. It also helps that he has the coach’s ear.

“You want a guy who has a hand in upper management,” Bowens said with a big laugh. “That was a no-brainer, I’m sure, for the offensive guys. Brett can go upstairs and talk to Eric pretty easily, but aside from all that, Brett is a good leader. He’s showed toughness and played about 1,000 games in a row or something like that. Anytime you’ve got a guy in that situation, you definitely look up to him for leadership.”

Jets set to fly with captain Brett - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Man, it will be hard to watch Brett play for anyone else but Green Bay. I know in sports you aren't supposed to have loyalty, it's all about the green.

But still, Green Bay. The only team that is owned by it's fans. I think that's cool. I know I wouldn't sit my bum outside in sub-zero temps to watch a football game, fan that I am. But those Packer fans, geez, you have to kill someone to get a ticket to a game! My brother has been a Packer fan since the days of Bart Starr, and his wife bought him a share in the team for his birthday one year. So even though I'm a Colts fan, I like the Pack too.

Anyhoo,,,,,,I bet the Jets fans are glad to have Brett! I hope he doesn't burn out, then fade away!

i have a feeling Bret is gonna be spending a lot of time either scrambling or on his back
the Jets dont have the line the packers did

I can't wait to see my Pats put a hurtin' on the "Diva" Brett Favre twice this year ... it's like 2 extra Christmas'

i have a feeling Bret is gonna be spending a lot of time either scrambling or on his back
the Jets dont have the line the packers did

Their line is better, besides he spent 10 years of his career in Green Bay with no line. Just another day at the office for him.

If Fav're gets excited about his role in NY and he gets the help he needs, the Jets could make the Patriots squirm.

Brett Favre will improve the Jets' 4-12 record from last year but don't get giddy and look for a playoff birth.

One thing you have to realize is the Jets don't have near the O-line Favre had in Green Bay during most of his career. Take last season in Green Bay for example. They had the second best offense in the league and only allowed Favre to be sacked 15 times (second fewest in the league). Compare that to the line he's going to in NY where they allowed 53 sacks.

Favre is going to be under pressure a lot this year with not near the talent of WRs he had but if anyone can deal with it it's him. Unfortunately he can do only so much. The Jets have rebuilt their line but it's nowhere near the one Favre came from in CheeseLand.

Last edited:
Forget this Brett Farve mumbo jumbo. It is all talk and talk is cheap. He is over-hyped in every way since he was traded to the Jets. Indeed he is a great QB, but he is in a whole new system and is going to play in 90 degree hot n' sticky weather. I say Miami pulls off an upset tomorrow.

Forget this Brett Farve mumbo jumbo. It is all talk and talk is cheap. He is over-hyped in every way since he was traded to the Jets. Indeed he is a great QB, but he is in a whole new system and is going to play in 90 degree hot n' sticky weather. I say Miami pulls off an upset tomorrow.

Only thing I agree with on your comments is the upset. Pennington wants nothing more than to blast the team that did him wrong. Nothing would give Chad more pleasure than giving NY the finger.

sheeesh, i dont know if i would go THAT far
but the dolphins need a lot more help on D if their gonna do that

Only thing I agree with on your comments is the upset. Pennington wants nothing more than to blast the team that did him wrong. Nothing would give Chad more pleasure than giving NY the finger.
he doesnt have that many tools around him to get that done

Jets’ Favre throws for 2 TDs, beats Dolphins 20-14 :eusa_whistle:

Jets’ Favre throws for 2 TDs, beats Dolphins 20-14 :eusa_whistle:

Miami couldn't even get a running game going, which is pretty much their whole offense, and still almost came up with a win. Brett's tricky play got him a td pass and then the other throw was just improv slop. Brett really wasn't that impressive considering the shape of Miami. Neither teams should be happy with their performances although it made for a great game.

Miami couldn't even get a running game going, which is pretty much their whole offense, and still almost came up with a win. Brett's tricky play got him a td pass and then the other throw was just improv slop. Brett really wasn't that impressive considering the shape of Miami. Neither teams should be happy with their performances although it made for a great game.

I cheered for Miami last year when Cam Cameron was their coach, he being an Indiana University grad and all. Unfortunately, he didn't have much success with the Dolphins. :mad:

Tonight my COLTS play da Bears in prime time! :cool:

I have to admit, the guy is something else! To think, he hasn't really learned the offense well yet. They play NE next week and, at this point, I think they have a very good chance to beat them. Brett could take them all the way! WOULDN'T THAT BE A KICKER? LOL

GO FAVRE! You got to love a guy who plays the game and celebrates like a middle schooler.

Forum List

Back