Jesus

He was not caucasian. He did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. His nose was probably not grecian in appearance. His skin was not white.

JW's came to my door..which I dont mind. I was in the middle of cleaning my ride since I used it sweeping the front stoop and taking a break from the stirring the brew kettle...bat wings were not quite ready yet to simmer, so I had time to politely take their pamphlet and tell them Im sorry but I am not interested in their flyers. They thanked me kindly and left. I then read the pamphlet while I waited for the lizard legs to be pre nuked to be dumped in the kettle with the bat wings....and the first thing I noticed was the picture of jesus they had on that pamphlet. I still read the words, but the pic bugged me. Hence....this topic.

That is all. Just a pet peeve of mine seeing Him portrayed like some Sears male model in immaculate white robes in all His stunning caucasian glory.

He didn't come back from the dead either. There is no limit to the delusion of Christians.

Ah so because you haven't seen Christ and have recieved no witness from the Holy Spirit, you think anyone who has is delusional. Not that big of a surprise to me. But it doesn't change the reality that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and has enabled the resurrection for all Mankind.

He was not caucasian. He did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. His nose was probably not grecian in appearance. His skin was not white.

JW's came to my door..which I dont mind. I was in the middle of cleaning my ride since I used it sweeping the front stoop and taking a break from the stirring the brew kettle...bat wings were not quite ready yet to simmer, so I had time to politely take their pamphlet and tell them Im sorry but I am not interested in their flyers. They thanked me kindly and left. I then read the pamphlet while I waited for the lizard legs to be pre nuked to be dumped in the kettle with the bat wings....and the first thing I noticed was the picture of jesus they had on that pamphlet. I still read the words, but the pic bugged me. Hence....this topic.

That is all. Just a pet peeve of mine seeing Him portrayed like some Sears male model in immaculate white robes in all His stunning caucasian glory.

He didn't come back from the dead either. There is no limit to the delusion of Christians.

Ah so because you haven't seen Christ and have recieved no witness from the Holy Spirit, you think anyone who has is delusional. Not that big of a surprise to me. But it doesn't change the reality that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and has enabled the resurrection for all Mankind.

You know........here's a question for you Christians........

If you understand that Yeshua was resurrected, then you would also understand the part about Him living forever.

Now............if that is what you people believe, why is it that people like Koresh and all the other fringe types keep referring to themselves as "Christ reincarnated".

Like I said........if Yeshua was resurrected (and according to the Bible, He was), then why would He need to be reincarnated? He never died, and is actually (according to Christians) still very much alive.

Does it really make any difference what he looked like, When you think about it, if God created the world he could make Jesus look like anything he wanted. Bottom line is believing the message not looks.

He is very much alive. In spirit.
Those who claim to be "reincarnated" are insane.

He is very much alive. In spirit.
Those who claim to be "reincarnated" are insane.

Yep. However............after watching Nat Geo's "Human Family Tree", I figured out something........

The family of man is all related. They've proven a genetic Adam and a genetic Eve. Now, since Yeshua came to join the family of man 2,000 years ago, that would make Him older than me.

Since I also am part of the family of man, that would make Yeshua my big brother.

Every one else's too, if you think about it. To those that came before Him? He's their "Little Brother".

I just wish that more people would act like it though.........

Hi Gracie. I read the posts in this thread and I might be able to shed a little light on some things.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's not a physical body.
I don't mean to be contrary, but that description of him really is in reference to his physical body. It has a mouth, hands and hair. When they say his eyes were like a flame, they were like a flame but they weren't real flames.......

The image I take offense to is the one with his head bowed and a little trickle of blood on his forehead. An historian, I believe Josephus, said that Jesus was so brutally beaten you couldn't tell it was a human or an animal carcass hanging on that cross. He only lasted six hours.
And yet God forbid one bone to be broken. Because Jesus would be using his physical body for eternity. When he rose from the dead he was in his physical body, but it had been glorified. He had a mouth. He cooked breakfast with the same hands that Thomas touched (with the wounds from the nails), yet he could walk through walls, and appear at will. He had a least 6 dimensions.

The shroud of Turin doesn't meet the requirements of the Biblical description of how Christ was prepared in the tomb.
The Jews having spent much time in Egypt, were adept at preparing a body. They dipped strips of linen in a concoction and then wrapped the limbs and body in those strips from the neck down. When the linen dried it dried like varnish. It formed a thin shell, like an M&M. They laid a piece of cloth similar to a pillow case across the head.
When John and Peter ran to the tomb, John being a youngster, got there first. The Bible says Peter wondered "wth?" But John knew. The shell was still intact and the face cover was neatly folded beside it.

Marie, I love your avatar. I had a Christian youth group, filled with kids whose parents never touched them unless it was to beat them. When I told them they had a father in Heaven they looked like as soon as they got older they'd kick his ass too! :eek: I had to get them to understand the love of God, so they could unclench their fists.
I borrowed a baby lamb from the neighbor's farm and took it to the meeting at church. Those kids grabbed that lamb from me and I stood there talking to my Dad and watched them pass that lamb around. Every one of those kids had to take a turn. Even the hardest, toughest jail school criminal in the group took his turn at unconditionally loving that little lamb.
Then I explained the 23rd Psalm from the perspective of the lamb, line by line, starting with the impediments of a lamb and the difference between a good Shepherd and a bad one. They understood that in someone's eyes they were that sweet defenseless little lamb, and that there was someone that wanted to love them just the way they loved that baby lamb they had held in their own arms.
There is so much talk about the wrath of God. But that avatar is what it's really about. Love.

Hi Gracie. I read the posts in this thread and I might be able to shed a little light on some things.
I don't mean to be contrary, but that description of him really is in reference to his physical body. It has a mouth, hands and hair. When they say his eyes were like a flame, they were like a flame but they weren't real flames.......

The image I take offense to is the one with his head bowed and a little trickle of blood on his forehead. An historian, I believe Josephus, said that Jesus was so brutally beaten you couldn't tell it was a human or an animal carcass hanging on that cross. He only lasted six hours.
And yet God forbid one bone to be broken. Because Jesus would be using his physical body for eternity. When he rose from the dead he was in his physical body, but it had been glorified. He had a mouth. He cooked breakfast with the same hands that Thomas touched (with the wounds from the nails), yet he could walk through walls, and appear at will. He had a least 6 dimensions.

The shroud of Turin doesn't meet the requirements of the Biblical description of how Christ was prepared in the tomb.
The Jews having spent much time in Egypt, were adept at preparing a body. They dipped strips of linen in a concoction and then wrapped the limbs and body in those strips from the neck down. When the linen dried it dried like varnish. It formed a thin shell, like an M&M. They laid a piece of cloth similar to a pillow case across the head.
When John and Peter ran to the tomb, John being a youngster, got there first. The Bible says Peter wondered "wth?" But John knew. The shell was still intact and the face cover was neatly folded beside it.

I'm good with what you think. I'm not a christian, but I do know much of the teachings and some of the story.

The description is so alien that it's a stretch for me to think it's a fully human form.

I shoulda been more specific.

But I did learn one thing; What Jesus actually did look like for the most part.
Blue eyes.
Blond Beard
Black eye brows

I'm Black Irish, change my eyes to blue and you descrbed me.

Marie, I love your avatar. I had a Christian youth group, filled with kids whose parents never touched them unless it was to beat them. When I told them they had a father in Heaven they looked like as soon as they got older they'd kick his ass too! :eek: I had to get them to understand the love of God, so they could unclench their fists.
I borrowed a baby lamb from the neighbor's farm and took it to the meeting at church. Those kids grabbed that lamb from me and I stood there talking to my Dad and watched them pass that lamb around. Every one of those kids had to take a turn. Even the hardest, toughest jail school criminal in the group took his turn at unconditionally loving that little lamb.
Then I explained the 23rd Psalm from the perspective of the lamb, line by line, starting with the impediments of a lamb and the difference between a good Shepherd and a bad one. They understood that in someone's eyes they were that sweet defenseless little lamb, and that there was someone that wanted to love them just the way they loved that baby lamb they had held in their own arms.
There is so much talk about the wrath of God. But that avatar is what it's really about. Love.

You took offense at what I said? Sorry, but I don't think you are going to last very long here if you found that to be offensive.

First, I did not say "a little trickle of blood". I did say a trickle of blood, but only to describe what I was thinking about at the time.

Second, basically, I described the crucifix that so many people wear around their necks without even an inkling in regards to what it really means.

Third, you cannot see the blood on the crucifixes, yet you know it is there. That was how I was describing it. Would you have preferred that I had said "a river of blood"?

Fourth, I was describing the scene, not the features. I do not see the features of Christ when I imagine his body upon the cross. I see a man hanging in agony beaten to within an inch of his life hanging there left to die.

And finally, no, it was not Josephus that described Christ on the cross. I believe that the passage you mentioned came from the prophet Isaiah, hundreds of years before Christ was even born.

Isaiah 52:13-15

13 See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being
and his form marred beyond human likeness—

15 so he will sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

emphasis added

You will note, I hope, that the passage does not state that his body could not be told as to whether it was human or animal.

What the Jewish historian Flavius Josephus says about Jesus Christ

Josephus was born around 37 AD, and became a Pharisee. He then joined the zealots who rebelled against Roman rule between 66 and 74AD, becoming a leader of their forces in Galilee, and living through the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. He was captured by the Romans, and would have been executed, but he went over to them.

Josephus became the Roman emperor's adviser on Jewish affairs, and died in about 98 AD. 'Josephus' was his Jewish name, and he took the name 'Flavius' in honour of the family of his imperial sponsor. His 'Jewish War' was largely based on his first-hand experiences. It focuses on the period AD 66 to 73. 'Antiquities of the Jews' covers the whole of history up to AD 66. Out of twenty books, six cover the period from the reign of Herod the Great to AD 66 - i.e. the period when Jesus lived.

Josephus wrote only one passage about Jesus in Antiquities 18.3.3.

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed it is lawful to call him a man, for he was a performer of wonderful deeds, a teacher of such men as are happy to accept the truth. He won over many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the leading men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those who had loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again on the third day, as the prophets of God had foretold these and ten thousand other wonders about him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct to this day.'

Josephus was most likely not even born when Christ was crucified. At best he would have been a toddler at the time of Christ's death. Since Josephus was a historian, he was recounting history... a history that he was relating not by having been there, but from the history he had learned through tradition.

My apologies for any offense I might have given you.

Welcome to USMB.

Immie

Last edited:
Immanuel, I'm sorry. There has been a misunderstanding. After I mentioned the physical body of Christ, I went on to answer Gracie's question about having an image of Christ in our minds when we pray. The image I find offensive is the one with the crown of thorns and the trickle of blood. I think it takes away from the true passion. Then I went on to the shroud. I read the whole thread at once and a few things stuck out, that I wanted to respond to. I'm sorry you thought I was culling you out.
Nothing you said offended me at all. I look forward to hearing more.

TwoThumbs,
I'm Black Irish, change my eyes to blue and you described me.

I think I'm Leif Ericson Irish. The red hair kinda confirms the old family secret! :eusa_shhh:

I'm good with what you think. I'm not a christian, but I do know much of the teachings and some of the story.

The description is so alien that it's a stretch for me to think it's a fully human form.

Blue eyes.
Blond Beard
Black eye brows

Hey stupid.....you really should do more research before posting crap like this, especially the part of burial among Judaic traditions.......

Preparing the body — TaharahThere are three major stages to preparing the body for burial: washing (rechitzah), ritual purification (taharah), and dressing (halbashah). The term taharah is used to refer both to the overall process of burial preparation, and to the specific step of ritual purification.

(Note- Buried not within 24 hours)

The general sequence of steps for performing taharah is as follows. Blessings, prayers, and readings from Torah, Psalms and other Jewish scripture may be recited at several points:

1.The body (guf) is uncovered. (It has been covered with a sheet awaiting taharah.)
2.The body is washed carefully. As all blood must be buried along with the deceased, any open bleeding is stopped. The body is thoroughly cleaned of dirt, body fluids and solids, and anything else that may be on the skin. All jewellery is removed.
3.The body is purified with water, either by immersion in a mikveh or by pouring a continuous stream in a prescribed manner.
4.The body is dried (according to most customs).
5.The body is dressed in traditional burial clothing (tachrichim). A sash (avnet) is wrapped around the clothing and tied in the form of the Hebrew letter "shin," representing one of the names of God.
6.The coffin (aron) (if there is a coffin) is prepared by removing any linings or other embellishments. A winding sheet (sovev) is laid into the coffin. Outside the Land of Israel, if the person wore a prayer shawl (tallit) during their life, one is laid in the coffin for wrapping the body once it is placed there. One of the corner fringes (tzitzit) is removed from the shawl to signify that it will no longer be used for prayer in life and it also signifies that the person is absolved from having to keep any of the Mitzvot (Commandments) as written in the Torah.
7.The body is then lifted into the coffin and wrapped in the prayer shawl and sheet. Soil from Israel (afar), if available, is placed over various parts of the body and sprinkled in the coffin.
8.The coffin is closed.
Once the body is dressed, the coffin is sealed. Unlike other religions, in Judaism there is no viewing of the body and no "open casket" at the funeral, though the immediate family is allowed a visitation right prior to the coffin being sealed to pay their final respects. In Israel caskets are not used at all, with the exception of military and state funerals. The body is carried to the grave wrapped in a tallit.

Once the coffin is closed, the chevra then asks for forgiveness from the deceased for anything that they may have done to offend them or not show proper respect during the taharah. If the body is not taken immediately for burial, guards or watchers (shomrim) sit with the coffin until it is taken for burial. It is traditional to recite Psalms during this time

Try again Too Dumb, and remember........wikipedia is your friend.

Immanuel, I'm sorry. There has been a misunderstanding. After I mentioned the physical body of Christ, I went on to answer Gracie's question about having an image of Christ in our minds when we pray. The image I find offensive is the one with the crown of thorns and the trickle of blood. I think it takes away from the true passion. Then I went on to the shroud. I read the whole thread at once and a few things stuck out, that I wanted to respond to. I'm sorry you thought I was culling you out.
Nothing you said offended me at all. I look forward to hearing more.

TwoThumbs,
I'm Black Irish, change my eyes to blue and you described me.

I think I'm Leif Ericson Irish. The red hair kinda confirms the old family secret! :eusa_shhh:

I believe that it was me that mentioned the trickle of blood, although it has been a few days since I read the entire thread. Maybe someone else also mentioned the "trickle of blood". Don't worry about "culling me out", it is absolutely not a problem. If the worst that you ever say to someone on this board is that you found something they wrote to be offensive, then you will be "okay" in my book even if it is me that you find offensive.

The image I find offensive is the one with the crown of thorns and the trickle of blood. I think it takes away from the true passion.

Do you find a crucifix in a Catholic Church to be offensive? I am Lutheran. Many Lutherans do not like to have an image of Christ on a cross (a crucifix) preferring to view the vacant cross in their belief that Christ is no longer on the cross. I don't find the crucifix to be offensive because it reminds of that particular point in time.

Immie

Thanks Immie.
My grandmother was Lutheran. My husband is Catholic. I wear a cross and so does he as a symbol and a reminder of what Christ did for us. That doesn't offend me, and maybe offensive was the wrong word. I think the pictures of Christ on the cross don't due him justice. I remember a friend coming to Christ and when she realized what he really went through she cried for his sake because they hurt him so badly.
I know they gored down the pictures, but it sort of misrepresents the depth he was willing to suffer for our redemption.

Blue eyes.
Blond Beard
Black eye brows

Hey stupid.....you really should do more research before posting crap like this, especially the part of burial among Judaic traditions.......

Preparing the body — TaharahThere are three major stages to preparing the body for burial: washing (rechitzah), ritual purification (taharah), and dressing (halbashah). The term taharah is used to refer both to the overall process of burial preparation, and to the specific step of ritual purification.

The general sequence of steps for performing taharah is as follows. Blessings, prayers, and readings from Torah, Psalms and other Jewish scripture may be recited at several points:

1.The body (guf) is uncovered. (It has been covered with a sheet awaiting taharah.)
2.The body is washed carefully. As all blood must be buried along with the deceased, any open bleeding is stopped. The body is thoroughly cleaned of dirt, body fluids and solids, and anything else that may be on the skin. All jewellery is removed.
3.The body is purified with water, either by immersion in a mikveh or by pouring a continuous stream in a prescribed manner.
5.The body is dressed in traditional burial clothing (tachrichim). A sash (avnet) is wrapped around the clothing and tied in the form of the Hebrew letter "shin," representing one of the names of God.
6.The coffin (aron) (if there is a coffin) is prepared by removing any linings or other embellishments. A winding sheet (sovev) is laid into the coffin. Outside the Land of Israel, if the person wore a prayer shawl (tallit) during their life, one is laid in the coffin for wrapping the body once it is placed there. One of the corner fringes (tzitzit) is removed from the shawl to signify that it will no longer be used for prayer in life and it also signifies that the person is absolved from having to keep any of the Mitzvot (Commandments) as written in the Torah.
7.The body is then lifted into the coffin and wrapped in the prayer shawl and sheet. Soil from Israel (afar), if available, is placed over various parts of the body and sprinkled in the coffin.
8.The coffin is closed.
Once the body is dressed, the coffin is sealed. Unlike other religions, in Judaism there is no viewing of the body and no "open casket" at the funeral, though the immediate family is allowed a visitation right prior to the coffin being sealed to pay their final respects. In Israel caskets are not used at all, with the exception of military and state funerals. The body is carried to the grave wrapped in a tallit.

Once the coffin is closed, the chevra then asks for forgiveness from the deceased for anything that they may have done to offend them or not show proper respect during the taharah. If the body is not taken immediately for burial, guards or watchers (shomrim) sit with the coffin until it is taken for burial. It is traditional to recite Psalms during this time

Christ died on the Preparation Day. There was only 3 hours to go to Pilate to ask permission to take Christ off the cross, wait for the centurion to arrive and confirm the death, get the body down and to the tomb, and wrap it in linen before the Sabbath. It's as far as they got. When they went back to finish the ritual, only the linen and the face cloth remained.

Well, it would have taken them a week to follow the procedure you offered up. It took me a week just to read it! They had 3 hours.
So I guess we'll have to go by what the bible said happened. He was wrapped in linen from the neck down, with a face cloth from the neck up.

Blue eyes.
Blond Beard
Black eye brows

8.The coffin is closed.

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

You may want to learn to pay more attention to what is going on before you insult someone.

From my post #69;

The only physical description of Jesus that does exist is from a copy of a letter from the Roman consul Lentulus to the Roman Emperor Tiberius. This document was discovered in a Monastery with copies of other ancient documents. According to the copy of the letter, the original was dated to the 12 year of the reign of Tiberius. We have historical verification that a certain Roman consul named Lentulus was in Judea at the time of Jesus' trial and crucifixion. His influential family is mentioned by the Jewish historian Josephus in his book Antiquities of the Jews. Scholars are divided, however, as to the authenticity of the letter. Lentulus' letter was an official report to the Emperor Tiberius. In his letter Lentulus describes Jesus as having: "a noble and lively face, with fair and slightly wavy hair; black and strongly curving eyebrows, intense penetrating blue eyes and an expression of wondrous grace. His nose is rather long. His beard is almost blonde, although not very long. His hair is quite long, and has never seen a pair of scissors.....His neck is slightly inclined, so that he never appears to be bitter or arrogant. His tanned face is the color of ripe corn and well proportioned. It gives the impression of gravity and wisdom, sweetness and good, and is completely lacking in any sign of anger." (Holy Land Magazine, Franciscan Holy Land Press, Spring 1998).

wanna argue with a dead Roman, be my guest. I replied to what Jesus looked like, beyond that I didn't much care about the rest.

Forum List

Back