Jesus was a commie...

Is that why you help the poor, if you do, because it "counts" with God? Pretty lame reasoning. I would imagine if "God" wanted the poor to be helped he'd prefer the most expedient way, not a bunch of whiners looking to score brownie points.

It reminds me of the idea of "merit" in Thai Buddhism. But doing good for non-altruistic reasons (that is for some sort of personal gain, temporal or spiritual) might not be so bad. So, perhaps it's a form of habituation?

It reminds me of the idea of "merit" in Thai Buddhism. But doing good for non-altruistic reasons (that is for some sort of personal gain, temporal or spiritual) might not be so bad. So, perhaps it's a form of habituation?

It reminds me of a particularly funny episode of Curb your Enthusiasm. Larry got really bent out of shape when he learned that the hospital wing donated by Ted Danson was labeled "anonymous," but it was anything but. Everyone knew it was Danson and they were all heaping praise on him for being so generous but not wanting to be a glory hound. Meanwhile everyone thought Larry was selfish for having his name on the wing he donated. I'm not doing it any justice but trust me, that show is fuckin funny.

I think Ted Danson is hilarious. I saw him on Jay Leno (I only watch Leno a couple of times a year, but for some reason I'm fixating on him today) and he was this little wizened old man and very, very funny and self-deprecating.

No, you're right. It isn't bad, just wondering why it is supposedly better than letting the government do it.

No, you're right. It isn't bad, just wondering why it is supposedly better than letting the government do it.

Duh! Because the gubmint is only efficient when it comes to killing evil-doers. It's woefully inefficient in all other areas. Geez but you can be thick sometimes. :cuckoo:

It reminds me of a particularly funny episode of Curb your Enthusiasm. Larry got really bent out of shape when he learned that the hospital wing donated by Ted Danson was labeled "anonymous," but it was anything but. Everyone knew it was Danson and they were all heaping praise on him for being so generous but not wanting to be a glory hound. Meanwhile everyone thought Larry was selfish for having his name on the wing he donated. I'm not doing it any justice but trust me, that show is fuckin funny.

It hasn't got here yet, if it's any good it's highly likely our commercial tv stations won't buy it (cheap they are), but it's a great illustration. Heck I can even see some of the scenes in my mind :D

The government is NEVER efficient. Which is why you need to leave the government out of anything that involves money or management as much as possible.

Contrary to propaganda, government does most things well. Now if we're going to go into a rant about private industry being more efficient, effective, etc. stand by and give me a minute or two to look up a litany of failures by private companies.

But if you are thinking that way, why not save yourself the trouble and focus on something a little more meaningful?

The government is NEVER efficient. Which is why you need to leave the government out of anything that involves money or management as much as possible.

Never efficient? Since when did a private corporation win a war?

That's the sort of crap that I was referring to. "Never efficient". What a stupid statement.

indeed.. which is why we see conservatives trying so hard to defund the military all the time, eh? After all.. the guberment is never efficient, eh?

your statement is as silly as me claiming that all christians are scum sucking abortion clinic bombers. It sounds good but is not really reflective of the facts, eh?

I never said the military was efficient.

In fact, I will add the military to my mantra, "You want to see how efficient national health care would be? Look at our education system and our military."

Inefficient. Necessary, but inefficient, monsters both.

In fact, I will add the military to my mantra, "You want to see how efficient national health care would be? Look at our education system and our military."

So, is the government responsible for the sub-prime mess? No, it was private interests. The US economy is sliding into recession. Is it the fault of government? Well yes, the Iraq War isn't helping, but the sub-prime mess wasn't caused by government.

Now, if I were one of those "barack is not wearing a flag lapel pin" type I'd razz you for disrespecting the US military and our armed fighting forces whoare diligently protecting your ass from evil, terrorists, and communism.

But, since I'm not a republican running for election in 08, I'll say that I don't think that the military is inefficient, rather, the particular assholes in civilian leadership are inefficient.

But, consindering the range of things the gubment is responsible for, it may not be perfect but it's the best on THIS planet.

No, those are strong enough, there's no point in wasting good energy when we have to conserve all we've got, thanks to the interfering liberal sanctions on oil....

Forum List

Back