Jesus the alcoholic

THat's right. I watched a show on history channel where they used a skull from a Jewish cemetery about the time Jesus was alive and reconstructed it, and gave it hair etc. that were common at the time.

They ended up with a guy who sort of reminded me of Dustin Hoffman, only with short curly hair and I think a short beard as well.

True. So you don't think she was at the last supper?

She who? If you're referring to Mary Magdalene, there's no reference in the Bible to her being a prostitute. She was more like a wealthy sponsor. Probably a widow.

How else do you think the artist captured his bright blue eyes and long brown hair?!?

Really? That's not what they used to say at my church.

Look it up. Bible.com. Look for Mary Magdalen references. She was never identified as a prostitute. There was a prostitute referred to in the bible..actually a couple of them. One was being stoned and he drew a line in the sand. The other was the one who lived with a man not her husband, and he told to sin no more.

He cast 7 devils out of Mary Magdalene, but she wasn't a prostitute to my knowledge.

...and why didn't the lazy, scruffy bastard have a shave and a haircut?

for fear someone would confuse him for your greatness :cool:

why would it be non-alcoholic?

LOL! I'm almost positive non-alcoholic wine didn't exist back then.

new wine is non-alcoholic, in that, it literally means the "juice" freshly squeezed from the grape. juice was not a term used in the OT or NT to describe freshly pressed grapes, it was referred to as "new wine". in order for wine to become alcoholic, it must ferment as you both you know.

However, sometimes it is used to refer to the fresh squeezed juice of the grape such as in Proverbs 3:9, 10 "Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine." What comes out of the "wine press?" Does it come out as an alcoholic beverage? No. It comes out as grape juice, which must subsequently be processed and fermented in order to make alcohol. But the Bible describes this fresh juice of the grape as "new wine." Notice also Matthew 9:17 "Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved." The very concept of "new wine" here is the unfermented type because the process of putting it into bottles is what causes the fermentation and the subsequent stretching of the wineskin. Wine in these contexts refers to non-alcoholic beverages.

some link i got off of google http://www.the-churchofchrist.com/alcohol/why_did_jesus_turn_the_water_into_wine.htm

for fear someone would confuse him for your greatness :cool:

new wine is non-alcoholic, in that, it literally means the "juice" freshly squeezed from the grape. juice was not a term used in the OT or NT to describe freshly pressed grapes, it was referred to as "new wine". in order for wine to become alcoholic, it must ferment as you both you know.

some link i got off of google http://www.the-churchofchrist.com/alcohol/why_did_jesus_turn_the_water_into_wine.htm

Interesting enough sermon. But I'm betting that churchofchrist discourages alcohol, yes?

it was a celebration.... they were waiting for wine. if it was a miracle and not simply harvesting and squeezing some grapes, then I'd say it WAS wine... assuming you believe that it happened. ;o)

Forum List

Back