Jesus: Son of God or pre-Mohammed prophet?

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Muslims believe that God is one, that there are no gods except the God. They may contend that even though Christians claim to be monotheists, they actually believe in more than one God. Since Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, they therefore err like other people of ancient or modern times who have believed in a plurality of gods or the sons and daughters of God.

So often Muslim-Christian religious discussion breaks on the topic of Jesus' Sonship. The Christian affirms that Jesus is the Son of God; the Muslim denies that Jesus is the Son of God. Both simply agree to disagree, each convinced that he is right and the other is wrong, as they go their separate ways.

But is there another alternative? In suggesting that there is, the following questions are proposed: Has the Christian truly understood what Jesus' Sonship means to the Muslim and why the Muslim rejects it? Has the Muslim truly understood what Jesus Sonship means to the Christian and why the Christian affirms it? On this topic, which for centuries has been notorious for generating more heat than light, could both agree to explain their relative positions more fully and to listen to one another more intently and courteously?

The intention of this essay is to help both Muslims and Christians to penetrate a little deeper into the Biblical concept of Jesus as the Son of God and the significance of this idea for Christians. At the same time, it is hoped that this essay, as it unfolds, demonstrates at least some sensitivity towards a truly Muslim position on this vital topic. Where it needs correction or amplification, gladly let Muslim friends provide it.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Hahn/son.html

Which religion came first? Who is the false prophet? If Christianity is a off spring of Judaism, Did Islam exist before or after Judaism?

Judaism - is the oldest of the monotheistic faiths
Christianity - is a monotheistic religion founded by the followers of Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus, a Jew
Islam - one of the three major monotheistic faiths, was founded in Arabia by Muhammad between 610 and 632 Muhammad was born in A.D. 570
So Muhammad brother of the Jew was teaching his own brand before Christ.
So, who is the false prophet, or has that not yet to come?

Hinduism, and its precursors from the Aryan invasion of India centuries ago, predates almost all of the worlds major religions. Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism are fairly contemporaneous, predating early Christianity by some 500-600 years. The rest is history.

Bullypulpit said:
Hinduism, and its precursors from the Aryan invasion of India centuries ago, predates almost all of the worlds major religions. Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism are fairly contemporaneous, predating early Christianity by some 500-600 years. The rest is history.
I dont recall any of these belifes having crusades, inquisitions or suicide bombers.

White knight said:
Judaism - is the oldest of the monotheistic faiths
Christianity - is a monotheistic religion founded by the followers of Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus, a Jew
Islam - one of the three major monotheistic faiths, was founded in Arabia by Muhammad between 610 and 632 Muhammad was born in A.D. 570
So Muhammad brother of the Jew was teaching his own brand before Christ.
So, who is the false prophet, or has that not yet to come?

You must have missed something. Jesus was born around 4 B.C. (the monk who determined the year of his birth made a math error). He died in 30 A.D. Mohammed was 600 years later. So Jesus came before Mohammed.

Who is the false prophet? Not sure. But Bully will tell you it's Dubya.

Assume the choice is only Son of God or Pre-Mohammed Prophet. I don't believe he was the Son of God so, logically, this assumption would require me to believe he was a Pre-Mohammed Prophet.

However, the disjunction does not seem wholly accurate to me...there may be other choices.

gop_jeff said:
You must have missed something. Jesus was born around 4 B.C. (the monk who determined the year of his birth made a math error). He died in 30 A.D. Mohammed was 600 years later. So Jesus came before Mohammed.

Who is the false prophet? Not sure. But Bully will tell you it's Dubya.
Christ was born 4 years B.C. B.efore C.hrist?
So, Mohammed, wanted in on this scam and came up with his own book of vitures, that include when you take off a infadels head you must make the first cut towards Mecca.
I want my own book of virtues, it will teach how to enslave the weak from all four corners of the earth and use technology to efficiently manage them.

White knight said:
Christ was born 4 years B.C. B.efore C.hrist?

Yes. Like I said, the monk who came up with the calendar we currently used made a math error. I don't have time to Google it.

I think that the age of a religion's birth is no indicator of it's validity.

One must determine, which religion is speaking the truth of the creator of all things. Which religion allows man to transcend the infinite canyon that separates the creator from his creation? Which creator has attempted to identify with his creation, and through this identification has offered redemption from eternal separation? Which creator does not accept human works or deeds as a means for fallible humans to transcend the barrier of his infallibility/holiness? Which creator expresses pardon, through a mediator that is in fact himself in all expression? Which creator allows his creation free-will, so that his creation will come to him by their own choice? What creator desires a contrite heart in his creation as a pre-requisite to being received by him?

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

the three Middle Eastern monotheistic religions seem more alike than different. Perhaps what's more imporant than Jesus as the son of God or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is what sort of behavior arises from one's religious beliefs? I personally find the idea of a religion based on the immaculate conception of a married woman by God, creating a son who is brutally tortured to death and whose torture device adorns the churches and necklaces of his adherents to be a bit strange, but I'm deeply moved by the good works done by Christians over the centuries, especially Christianity's democratic emphasis--that we're all equal in God's eyes, which seems to me a deep root of modern democracy.

I wish Bush's Christianity were more New Testament in flavor and less fire-and-brimstone, good-versus-evil, angry God, Old Testament.

Mariner

Mariner said:
the three Middle Eastern monotheistic religions seem more alike than different. Perhaps what's more imporant than Jesus as the son of God or how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is what sort of behavior arises from one's religious beliefs? I personally find the idea of a religion based on the immaculate conception of a married woman by God, creating a son who is brutally tortured to death and whose torture device adorns the churches and necklaces of his adherents to be a bit strange, but I'm deeply moved by the good works done by Christians over the centuries, especially Christianity's democratic emphasis--that we're all equal in God's eyes, which seems to me a deep root of modern democracy.

I wish Bush's Christianity were more New Testament in flavor and less fire-and-brimstone, good-versus-evil, angry God, Old Testament.

Mariner
example of fire and brimstone coming from Bush, please?

dilloduck said:
example of fire and brimstone coming from Bush, please?

I also second that..........where's the "fire and brimstone" inferences from GWB?

The only person on the campaign trail that was quoting bible verses was Sen. Kerry.

In fact this is right out of the Demos talking points. GWB is scarey, cause he's too religious.

What scares me, is when a candidate has no religious beliefs, or pretends to have them to cater to the electorate. Kerry, would say, " I have faith and conviction" then vote for Partial Birth Abortion. Now that's what Mister Hindu needs to be concerned about! Euthanasia is just around the corner.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Hinduism is arguably monotheism. All of its deities are part of one deity Dharma. It has a central trinity, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, and many lesser deities Genesh, Huniman ect.

Very similar to Christianity, all things a part of one thing: God. Central trinity, father son and holy ghost, many lesser deities, Michael, Uriel, ect.

Also Judaism was originaly a Henotheism.

exaggeration to label Bush's style "fire and brimstone," but he did refer to the war against terror as a "crusade" at one point, he's suggested that he feels God is on his/our side, and his regular references to good versus evil make me uncomfortable. The New Testament says "love your enemy." The inability to see any redeeming value in your enemy--at the very least that he too is one of God's children--seems dehumanizing to me. When it comes to labeling ourselves "good," I'd prefer that others give us that feedback rather than we simply declare how good we are. Right now, unlike WWII and WWI, most of the world is not seeing many of our actions as good.

Mariner.

Forum List

Back