Jesus or Ayn Rand - can conservatives claim both?

Jesus or Ayn Rand - can conservatives claim both?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's a year old article, but is very topical considering Mitt's pick of Ryan.

http://ratpoison.nongnu.org/ratpoison.png

That’s the question posed by a provocative media campaign that claims that some prominent conservative leaders cannot serve two masters: Jesus and the controversial author of "Atlas Shrugged," Ayn Rand.

Rand said religion was ‘evil,’ called the message of John 3:16 ‘monstrous,’ argued that the weak are beyond love and undeserving of it, that loving your neighbor was immoral and impossible…

There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue.

2 Thessalonians 3:10
King James Version (KJV)
10*For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

this lie is so easily dismissed it's laughable....here is what ryan said of ayn rand's "objectivism" philosophy....

"i, like millions of young people in america, read rand’s novels when i was young. I enjoyed them,” ryan says. “they spurred an interest in economics, in the chicago school and milton friedman,” a subject he eventually studied as an undergraduate at miami university in ohio. “but it’s a big stretch to suggest that a person is therefore an objectivist.

“i reject her philosophy,” ryan says firmly. “it’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me thomas aquinas,” who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. “don’t give me ayn rand,” he says.
ryan shrugged - robert costa - national review online

case closed ass wipe.

[/thread]

Of course they can. Since when was there any rule that politically bent people had to have views that actually make sense?

That’s the question posed by a provocative media campaign that claims that some prominent conservative leaders cannot serve two masters: Jesus and the controversial author of "Atlas Shrugged," Ayn Rand.

Rand said religion was ‘evil,’ called the message of John 3:16 ‘monstrous,’ argued that the weak are beyond love and undeserving of it, that loving your neighbor was immoral and impossible…

There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue.

Another failed thread, even an issue as simple as this is beyond your comprehension

Any Rand had a particular political philosophy. She was also an atheist. This doesn't affect the correctness of her political philosophy any more than Stephen Hawking's atheism affects his scientific achievements.

Paul Ryan never considered Ayn Rand a mentor. If you want mentors, obama's was the communist Frank Marshall.

Are you denying that Paul Ryan said these things:

"I just want to speak to you a little bit about Ayn Rand and what she meant to me in my life and [in] the fight we’re engaged here in Congress. I grew up on Ayn Rand, that’s what I tell people."

"I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are."

"It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff. We start with Atlas Shrugged. People tell me I need to start with The Fountainhead then go to Atlas Shrugged [laughter]. There’s a big debate about that. We go to Fountainhead, but then we move on, and we require Mises and Hayek as well."

"But the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand."

"And when you look at the twentieth-century experiment with collectivism—that Ayn Rand, more than anybody else, did such a good job of articulating the pitfalls of statism and collectivism—you can’t find another thinker or writer who did a better job of describing and laying out the moral case for capitalism than Ayn Rand."

"It’s so important that we go back to our roots to look at Ayn Rand’s vision, her writings, to see what our girding, under-grounding [sic] principles are."

"Because there is no better place to find the moral case for capitalism and individualism than through Ayn Rand’s writings and works."​

Ayn Rand gave him a moral case for capitalism? It doesn't sound like Ryan believes in Christ. Perhaps he'll just shake the Etch-a-Sketch to get over on you rubes.

It tells me that Paul Ryan, much like I do, admire much of Ayn Rand's philosophy and for the same reasons. Jesus was a capitalist, so there is of course a moral case for capitalism. There is no moral case to be made for maintaining the healthy and able to work in a state of permanent dependency. People are not housepets with the government as the owner.

Jesus was not a capitalist. One can not accept Rand's economic theory and claim to be a Christian.

Paul Ryan never considered Ayn Rand a mentor. If you want mentors, obama's was the communist Frank Marshall.

"I just want to speak to you a little bit about Ayn Rand and what she meant to me in my life and [in] the fight we’re engaged here in Congress. I grew up on Ayn Rand, that’s what I tell people."

"I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are."

"It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff. We start with Atlas Shrugged. People tell me I need to start with The Fountainhead then go to Atlas Shrugged [laughter]. There’s a big debate about that. We go to Fountainhead, but then we move on, and we require Mises and Hayek as well."

"But the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand."

"And when you look at the twentieth-century experiment with collectivism—that Ayn Rand, more than anybody else, did such a good job of articulating the pitfalls of statism and collectivism—you can’t find another thinker or writer who did a better job of describing and laying out the moral case for capitalism than Ayn Rand."

"It’s so important that we go back to our roots to look at Ayn Rand’s vision, her writings, to see what our girding, under-grounding [sic] principles are."

"Because there is no better place to find the moral case for capitalism and individualism than through Ayn Rand’s writings and works."​

Ayn Rand gave him a moral case for capitalism? It doesn't sound like Ryan believes in Christ. Perhaps he'll just shake the Etch-a-Sketch to get over on you rubes.

Following your logic, Obama read Mein Kampf- therefore Obama is a Nazi.

So we can choose between a heartless "Objectivist" or a murdering "Nazi".....thanks fuckchops!!

That is about the stupidest thing you said. If Obama read Mein Kampf and went around preaching it's values, you have a point. That's exactly what Paul Ryan did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmW19uoyuO8]Paul Ryan on Ayn Rand - YouTube[/ame]

It tells me that Paul Ryan, much like I do, admire much of Ayn Rand's philosophy and for the same reasons. Jesus was a capitalist, so there is of course a moral case for capitalism. There is no moral case to be made for maintaining the healthy and able to work in a state of permanent dependency. People are not housepets with the government as the owner.

Jesus was not a capitalist. One can not accept Rand's economic theory and claim to be a Christian.

dick suck, quit talking about jesus. You dont support him or have anything in common with him. He wouldnt have a problem with capitalism, he would have a problem with you atheism

Funny, I thought the progressives were the ones trying to claim Jesus. As for Rand, the one person I personally know who likes her is a Democrat, not a Republican.

Does dick suck believe:
1)there is no heaven or purpose of your life

Or

2)working in soup kitchens is a sure fire way to heaven

That is about the stupidest thing you said. If Obama read Mein Kampf and went around preaching it's values, you have a point. That's exactly what Paul Ryan did.

Paul Ryan on Ayn Rand - YouTube

You've got to admit, this is a rather novel election.

A ticket helmed by a Mormon with a borderline-sociopathic atheist as his Number Two up against a black Protestant and a Catholic.

Eat your heart out, 1960.

dick suck, quit talking about jesus. You dont support him or have anything in common with him. He wouldnt have a problem with capitalism, he would have a problem with you atheism

Why don't you have the common decency and respect to capitalize His name?

Funny, I thought the progressives were the ones trying to claim Jesus. As for Rand, the one person I personally know who likes her is a Democrat, not a Republican.

She's Paul Ryan's guiding light.

Forum List

Back