Jesus...how do you people put up with this sh*t?

Sure, but the entire construct of Linux makes it hard to write viruses for.
Anyone who can follow a few basic VB scripts can write a working virus for windows...not so for Linux. It takes bonafide skills to write a working virus in a *nix environment.

I know two things about coding, and the first thing is jack, so I really can't have this conversation with you unless you want to talk to yourself while I sit there with a glazed-over look in my eyes.

Thanks for trying, though.

I've used Puppy, Ubuntu, and Mint.

Mint was the only one of the three to run all my hardware- including wireless- on all machines as soon as I dropped the disk in.

well... almost... it imported the drivers my my Windows installation and converted them automatically [when I tried typing in the scripts with the other two, it was no-go).

The average user doesn't want to spend all day getting the machine to work- hell, I get pissed setting up Windows to show all extensions and files after a clean install, I do not want to fuck around trying to get drivers to work and I don't want to have to become a programmer just to use my damn computer- that's why we have a GUI in the first place

I understand that completely.
Do you know why you have to do that? Because the software giants (Microsoft THE kingpin in this) have ensured that vendors can't sell pre-configured systems...unless it is Windows.
Microsoft pays a tiny sum to the hardware folks for the rights to the codecs (software code that makes hardware work).
Otherwise you would see complete Linux systems everywhere by now - likely to have overtaken the Windows virus years ago.

Forum List

Back