Jesus Christ speaks the truth, as always

JenT

God lead our troops
Jul 3, 2009
West of the Rockies
Apparently some are confused about what the Greek word γενεά/generation means, and claim that the end times had to happen during the lives of the disciples.

33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Mark 24

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

1) fathered, birth, nativity
2) that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family
a) the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy
b) metaph. a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character
1) esp. in a bad sense, a perverse nation
3) the whole multitude of men living at the same time
4) an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years

If you don't like that definition than here is another:

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
From a presumed derivative of γένος
genos
ghen'-os
“kin” (abstractly or concretely, literally or figuratively, individually or collectively): - born, country (-man), diversity, generation, kind (-red), nation, offspring, stock.)

a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

So when Luke (and Mark) wrote

"Assuredly, I say to you, this γενεά will by no means pass away till all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away..."

he is saying this NATION will by no means pass away.

The Jews will by no means pass away.

And wouldn't you know, no other nation that I know of lasted longer than 400 years without a homeland. Know of any? The Jews lasted almost two thousand!

Glad I could clear that up for ya :)

Last edited:
Apparently some are confused about what the Greek word γενεά/generation means, and claim that the end times had to happen during the lives of the disciples.

33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Mark 24

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

b) metaph. a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character
4) an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
genos
ghen'-os
“kin” (abstractly or concretely, literally or figuratively, individually or collectively): - born, country (-man), diversity, generation, kind (-red), nation, offspring, stock.)

a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

"Assuredly, I say to you, this γενεά will by no means pass away till all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away..."

And wouldn't you know, no other nation that I know of lasted longer than 400 years without a homeland. Know of any? The Jews lasted almost two thousand!

Tell me this...why are the Jews considered a "nation"?

Are Christians a "nation"? And if so, where is our homeland?

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
genos
ghen'-os

:) Our homeland. We are the body of Christ. :) He is our home.

The Jews are considered set apart, a Chosen people, and almost the whole world has united against them, is there any group of people more defined? Has anyone kept such amazing geneologies throughout time?

The Bible said the WHOLE world will be against them, that would include America, just before the end, something about a cup of trembling. But I'm at work right now, break is about up. Good to see you again Xotoxi!

One who stands among you....

smile_wink.gif

Matthew 16:28 “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

"Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27 )
He also said to them, "Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power." (Mark 9:1 )

He shall return before they have preached in all of Israel

When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes." (Matthew 10:23)

Sorry, Jen, but you can't weasel out of it. Stop trying so hard to spread the word of the false prophet, or you shall suffer when El judges you.

Jesus said 'quickly', 'now', and 'soon'. This has been used to perpetuate fear just as the Antichrist has been the enemy of the moment, be it Nero, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, or Saddam Hussein.

Last edited:

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
genos
ghen'-os

Taken in CONTEXT....."...till these things take place" -- Matthew 24:4-36....all these things must be considered. Many people confuse the destruction of Jerusalem with the end of time. Jesus is making prophecy about the Destruction of Jerusalem in these passages...not the end of the world. But clearly Jesus is speaking of the fulfillment of the prophecy made by the prophets of old in foretelling of the Messiah. Matthew 24:29 is directly referenced to Isaiah 13:10, "...the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light (things that did occur..the day the Christ was crucified....The coming of the son of Man coming in the clouds ( referenced to Zech. 12:12, Dan.7:13)...Demonstrated in His ascension, as He had just promised the POWER OF GOD would fall upon them...the Apostles (Acts 1:8-9)...and the POWER OF GOD, did fall upon them IN THAT GENERATION...(Acts 2:1-4). And indeed, history actual confirms the prophecies of Jesus, Daniel, and Zech......as Jerusalem was destroyed by the Roman Empire in 70 A.D.

For you see...when Jesus began speaking of the END TIMES....He declared as a simple truth, "But of that hour knoweth no man (not even Jesus...as indeed He was a man and had just declared Himself the SON OF MAN), no, not even the angles of heaven, but MY FATHER ONLY." -- Matthew 24:36. Form this point on (Matthew 24:36-51) Jesus begins speaking of the end times and how they will mirror the DAYS OF NOAH....THERE WILL BE NO SIGNS...NO WARNINGS...it will come like a thief in the night...NOT WITH any pre-warning. (Vs. 38-39).

In taking the entirety of Matthew 24:4-36 in CONTEXT....would the Christ be foretelling of the end of the earth and ask the people to run and hide, JUST WHERE IS ONE TO HIDE FROM THE END TIMES? "Let those that are in Judea flee into the mountains" (Vs. 16). And...logically....why have the GOSPEL commanded to be preached to all nations around the world? (Vs. 14)

In fact....Jesus comes out and quite unambiguously declares that the things that Daniel Prophesied about in the "Abomination of Desolation" would come about in that very generation of the 1st century (Vs. 15)....and of course..it did, as proven by history.

Mt 24: Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD siege map

i wished i could write a book that gave myself and my people all the power .... the bible is not the world of any god but the writings of men who wanted to promote themselves and their people. what about the books that arent included in the bible? man decided to leave those out...why not take in the gospels of thomas etc? why are these books rejected?

i wished i could write a book that gave myself and my people all the power .... the bible is not the world of any god but the writings of men who wanted to promote themselves and their people. what about the books that arent included in the bible? man decided to leave those out...why not take in the gospels of thomas etc? why are these books rejected?

Its true...the Bible was written by men, men inspired by the Holy Spirit of Truth ( 2 Tim. 3:16). It's the unity and harmony of the Holy Scriptures....despite being drafted by ORDINARY men that offers evidence to the divine nature of those revelations. After 3500 years....not one truth revealed therein has been debunked by PHYSICAL SCIENCE or HISTORY ACTUAL.

Consider the FACTS surrounding these writings and then ask the simple question again...why were certain books omitted from the canon of the Holy Scriptures? It becomes obvious when anyone reads those FALSE books and makes a comparison with the canon of the Holy Scriptures....both the 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament work in perfect harmony to one another...with ALL presenting the same theme, message and TRUTH. Unlike the gnostic manuscripts that fall flat on their face when placed to the simplest test in comparing them with the true writings of a true prophet of God. Some claim to be authored by the brother of Jesus....yet, it becomes obvious within a few passages this supposed brother of Jesus was totally ignorant about the tradition and customs of the HEBREW FAITH.....a strange happenstance since Jesus himself was born of a Woman....born under the LAW (of Moses) -- Gal. 4:4-5. Its the same for all those works omitted from the canon (a simple word that in the original Greek simply means a TOOL of MEASUREMENT or comparison). What is amusing is the fact that SOME modern MEN are now complaining about those works which were omitted.....making a pretense that modern man is more qualified to measure or judge certain writings .....as compared to the scholars of that very time period that had DIRECT ACCESS to many FACTS that are just unattainable by modern man after almost 2000 years of history have hidden and destroyed much viable information from which to make a proper judgment. Considering the fact that modern man CANNOT debunk the works that were actually contained in Holy Bible...the entire point becomes moot.....as mans inability to prove WHY these OTHER works should or should not be included is pointless...considering the fact this decision was made thousands of years ago...and is now a part of history....a history which modern man cannot change. Thus, one must conclude the only reason for bringing up the query in the first place is made in an attempt to discredit the ACTUAL CANON. Which is an exercise in futility in and by itself, as that work of God's inspiration is INDESTRUCTIBLE...as evidenced by the rabid attempts from its opponents to destroy it over the centuries...which have always fallen on their face.

Last edited:

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
genos
ghen'-os

The Jews are considered set apart, a Chosen people, and almost the whole world has united against them, is there any group of people more defined? Has anyone kept such amazing geneologies throughout time?

The Bible said the WHOLE world will be against them, that would include America, just before the end, something about a cup of trembling. But I'm at work right now, break is about up. Good to see you again Xotoxi!
The fact that the religion of a particular race extols that race as a Chosen people is unsurprising.

"Chosen people" is religious racism.

The fact that the religion of a particular race extols that race as a Chosen people is unsurprising.

God has His purposes, and I believe His purpose was to prophesy and deliver the Messiah, Jesus Christ, through His people.

Do you think it was easy being God's Chosen people? Think about Jeremiah, Ezekiel, how about Elijah who wanted to curl up and die? Or all the Israelites that walked around the deserts waiting for the Promised Land, only two out of a million made it because they were so rebellious.

What I find fascinating is how the flaws and the sins of almost everyone written about were revealed. Nobody was held up as who to be like, except Jesus.

And since God created the different races, I suppose He noticed it :)

Goooooooooood night Eagle man! I suppose this is the place JB was talking about, looks like he wrote something with some actual depth possibly, but it's late, I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Sleep well!

Last edited:
Matthew 16:28 “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

"Truly I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27 )
He also said to them, "Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power." (Mark 9:1 )

When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes." (Matthew 10:23)

Sorry, Jen, but you can't weasel out of it. Stop trying so hard to spread the word of the false prophet, or you shall suffer when El judges you.

Jesus said 'quickly', 'now', and 'soon'. This has been used to perpetuate fear just as the Antichrist has been the enemy of the moment, be it Nero, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, or Saddam Hussein.

Okay just glancing at the first part of this, if you read the very next sentence of those verses, you will find that they DID see the Kingdom of God:

27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God.”
28 Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray. 29 As He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening. 30 And behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah, 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. 32 But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him. 33 Then it happened, as they were parting from Him, that Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah”—not knowing what he said.
34 While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!” 36 When the voice had ceased, Jesus was found alone. But they kept quiet, and told no one in those days any of the things they had seen.

I really gotta look at the rest tomorrow, God bless :)

Last edited:

God has His purposes, and I believe His purpose was to prophesy and deliver the Messiah, Jesus Christ, through His people.

Do you think it was easy being God's Chosen people? Think about Jeremiah, Ezekiel, how about Elijah who wanted to curl up and die? Or all the Israelites that walked around the deserts waiting for the Promised Land, only two out of a million made it because they were so rebellious.

What I find fascinating is how the flaws and the sins of almost everyone written about were revealed. Nobody was held up as who to be like, except Jesus.

Goooooooooood night Eagle man! I suppose this is the place JB was talking about, looks like he wrote something with some actual depth possibly, but it's late, I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Sleep well!

The scriptures are quite clear on why God chose Israel.....to establish an example of the Power and Righteous authority of the God of Creation....and to ultimately lead the entire population of mankind toward the salvation offered by His only begotten son. The marriage between God and Israel (Jer. 31:32) made the Israelites distinct among the nations and prepared the Gentiles nations for the coming New Covenant of Christ (Deut. 4:5-8, Jer. 31:31-34)....as God was quite clear....the Old Law was only temporary As the apostle Peter declares....before the worlds were formed God had a plan, and this plan was hidden from mankind until the appropriate time, a time of God's choosing, even the prophets of old did not realize they were foretelling of the coming Messiah at times -- 1 Peter 1:20, Eph. 3:5-6). Or, as Paul declared.....God planed for the salvation of mankind through the Grace of Christ Jesus....before time itself began -- 2 Tim. 1:9. Today....we are to use the Old Law as School Master...a historical instructor to prove that Jesus was indeed the Messiah of prophecy and to teach the Christian how to avoid the traps and snares of deception, to prevent us from making the same mistakes as did the peoples of the Old Law...who were found constantly breaking the Law of God (Jer. 31:32, it provides evidence that Jesus was the Christ -- John 5:39, it speaks of the Christ -- Luke 24:37, it gives rise to a belief in the Christ -- John 5:46-47, it PREPARES people for salvation -- 2 Tim. 3:15-17, it is our TUTOR -- Gal. 3:24.

Last edited:

The scriptures are quite clear on why God chose Israel.....to establish an example of the Power and Righteous authority of the God of Creation....and to ultimately lead the entire population of mankind toward the salvation offered by His only begotten son. The marriage between God and Israel (Jer. 31:32) made the Israelites distinct among the nations and prepared the Gentiles nations for the coming New Covenant of Christ (Deut. 4:5-8, Jer. 31:31-34)....as God was quite clear....the Old Law was only temporary As the apostle Peter declares....before the worlds were formed God had a plan, and this plan was hidden from mankind until the appropriate time, a time of God's choosing, even the prophets of old did not realize they were foretelling of the coming Messiah at times -- 1 Peter 1:20, Eph. 3:5-6). Or, as Paul declared.....God planed for the salvation of mankind through the Grace of Christ Jesus....before time itself began -- 2 Tim. 1:9. Today....we are to use the Old Law as School Master...a historical instructor to prove that Jesus was indeed the Messiah of prophecy and to teach the Christian how to avoid the traps and snares of deception, to prevent us from making the same mistakes as did the peoples of the Old Law...who were found constantly breaking the Law of God (Jer. 31:32, it provides evidence that Jesus was the Christ -- John 5:39, it speaks of the Christ -- Luke 24:37, it gives rise to a belief in the Christ -- John 5:46-47, it PREPARES people for salvation -- 2 Tim. 3:15-17, it is our TUTOR -- Gal. 3:24.

Beautifully written, thanks :)

The Greek word is γενεά
genea

which means:

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
genos
ghen'-os

Taken in CONTEXT....."...till these things take place" -- Matthew 24:4-36....all these things must be considered. Many people confuse the destruction of Jerusalem with the end of time. Jesus is making prophecy about the Destruction of Jerusalem in these passages...not the end of the world. But clearly Jesus is speaking of the fulfillment of the prophecy made by the prophets of old in foretelling of the Messiah. Matthew 24:29 is directly referenced to Isaiah 13:10, "...the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light (things that did occur..the day the Christ was crucified....The coming of the son of Man coming in the clouds ( referenced to Zech. 12:12, Dan.7:13)...Demonstrated in His ascension, as He had just promised the POWER OF GOD would fall upon them...the Apostles (Acts 1:8-9)...and the POWER OF GOD, did fall upon them IN THAT GENERATION...(Acts 2:1-4). And indeed, history actual confirms the prophecies of Jesus, Daniel, and Zech......as Jerusalem was destroyed by the Roman Empire in 70 A.D.

For you see...when Jesus began speaking of the END TIMES....He declared as a simple truth, "But of that hour knoweth no man (not even Jesus...as indeed He was a man and had just declared Himself the SON OF MAN), no, not even the angles of heaven, but MY FATHER ONLY." -- Matthew 24:36. Form this point on (Matthew 24:36-51) Jesus begins speaking of the end times and how they will mirror the DAYS OF NOAH....THERE WILL BE NO SIGNS...NO WARNINGS...it will come like a thief in the night...NOT WITH any pre-warning. (Vs. 38-39).

In taking the entirety of Matthew 24:4-36 in CONTEXT....would the Christ be foretelling of the end of the earth and ask the people to run and hide, JUST WHERE IS ONE TO HIDE FROM THE END TIMES? "Let those that are in Judea flee into the mountains" (Vs. 16). And...logically....why have the GOSPEL commanded to be preached to all nations around the world? (Vs. 14)

In fact....Jesus comes out and quite unambiguously declares that the things that Daniel Prophesied about in the "Abomination of Desolation" would come about in that very generation of the 1st century (Vs. 15)....and of course..it did, as proven by history.

Mt 24: Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD siege map

Did you research all that just now or is this something you researched previously?

Either way it's very good. Thanks.

Jesus Christ speaks the truth, as always

I'm not an overly intelligent person but I am smart enough to know that trusting and having faith in Jesus Christ is a very good thing. At least it is for me. The rest of you can decide on your own...

Okay just glancing at the first part of this, if you read the very next sentence of those verses, you will find that they DID see the Kingdom of God:

27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God.”
28 Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray. 29 As He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening. 30 And behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah, 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. 32 But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him. 33 Then it happened, as they were parting from Him, that Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah”—not knowing what he said.
34 While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!” 36 When the voice had ceased, Jesus was found alone. But they kept quiet, and told no one in those days any of the things they had seen.

Well, maybe that can be spun into seeing the kingdom of God, but the World did not end, did it????

Mt 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Well, maybe that can be spun into seeing the kingdom of God, but the World did not end, did it????

Mt 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

MAR 13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

LUK 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Ed, did you miss my post about the word "generation"? That word was originally written in Greek, the word is γενεά which also means "nation"

GENERATION DEFINED:
The Greek word is
genea

which means:

Also you posted this verse, notice the next part of it, right after what you posted

34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
No One Knows the Day or Hour

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven,[e] but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Matt 24

The Jews will by no means pass away til allthese things take place. And then Jesus said Himself that He doesn't know the day and hour, only the Father knows.

Forum List

Back