Jesus, Can You Hear Me Now?

i don't think the Church should do this....i don't know how to express why, other than it seems inappropriate for the Church to do this, and take money for it, and it seems like a sneaky thing to do, disguising the cell tower in a church cross.

Do cell towers cause harm to people?

Interesting article.

I think this might boil down to the "eyes of the beholders" in this situation.

A lot of folks don't like the commercial aspects of a lot of mainstream Christianity in the U.S.. There's a lot of marketing of t-shirts, hats, jewelry, and other items with quaint little bible sayings or other Christian or biblical related things.

Now if this Cell phone tower, looks like a Cross, and folks don't see it as anything, but that, then it maybe a positive thing to their faith. It isn't everyday that a commercial interest tries to work with religious groups to accommodate their needs as well as their own in some kind of compromise that hopefully meets all party's needs/requirements.

I think this is a little different from Bob Tilton selling bottles of water, allegedly from Jordan River water, and later found to be good old tap water from Tiltons facilities, or prayer cloths that have some intrinsic power.

I think if a commercial interest can respect a faith yet offer some kind of solution to an eye-sore and turn it into something that reminds Christians of the basis of their faith, namely the "Cross", then there's some strong positive emphasis here.

You can't satisfy all the people, all the time.

Let's face it folks, churches split over the color of the carpeting in the sanctuary, the type of worship music, and other factors.
A very humble yet mature Christian friend of mine who has mentored, and discipled me over the years, would often ask me to put, Jesus into the scenario. How would Jesus react or non-react? What would be Jesus's take on the cell tower disguised to look like the cross?

Personally, when I try to think of how Jesus would react, when remembering the very nature and personality that Jesus projected in the bible during his 3 years of ministry, I don't think Jesus would be upset.

I think that the too much scrutiny goes into the motivation of why the cross was built this way and not enought thought on the fact that a cross got built, one way or another, and is now a reality to the community to remind them of what this great God/Man of faith did for their lives.

Forget Verizon. Just thank'em, for working out something that was showing reverence and respect for the community as a whole.

That's my opinion. :)

I dont think that erecting crosses, as telephone polls, for profit....was in the bible.

Infact I dont think any type of religious profit was supported in the bible?
Last time I went to a christian church, they handed me a paper to donate to "god" with my visa or mastercard number and expiration date. Yea, just like jesus did huh.

I dont think that erecting crosses, as telephone polls, for profit....was in the bible.

Infact I dont think any type of religious profit was supported in the bible?
Last time I went to a christian church, they handed me a paper to donate to "god" with my visa or mastercard number and expiration date. Yea, just like jesus did huh.

Whether I write a check and put it in the offering plate, or it's debited from the same account via my Visa Bank Debit card, it all comes from the same account.

I don't remember automobiles being mentioned in the bible as a mode of transportation to those assemblys called churches in the book of Acts.

I don't even remember churches in Acts being more than believer's homes, but now we have Cathedrals, Temples, Sanctuaries, Missions, etc... A or the church is the people, not the structured they meet in. Just read the bible, and you will see what the church is defined as. Every believer with their unique gifts, skills and personalities, make up the spiritual body of Christ. It's a living organism of people, all supplying the body with their varied, unique lives in one Spirit, of unity, to the Head, Jesus Christ.

It's kind of like the old saying, "A house is made of wood and glass, but a home is made of love.".
Although I didn't read or realize the monetary kick-back of the company paying the church moneys for the cell-tower/cross thing, that might influence a change of thought on my part.

It's never good for a church to get into any obligation in a financial way that might come back to exert influence or pressure on them to compromise their mission statement.

Forum List

Back