Jesus and guns

Lets be honest here, for all his goodness, Jesus was the biggest Jesus-freak of all time. A lot of what he taught just doesn't square with practicality. I mean don't forget, we're talking about a guy who would rather willingly be crucified than fight back. The meek may or may not inherit the earth, but in the mean time meekness sure isn't especially fruitful.
Are you saying Jesus was misguided or perhaps not a shining example of intelligent design? :confused:

uh--not that hard to willingly die when you know ressurrection is right around the corner

Last edited:
I'll admit, I've no problem with people owning guns. In fact I think that the slim chance we could rise up against a bad government justifies it easily.

gun_control_works21.jpg

But I often wonder, how do Christians reconcile their belief in people owning guns with the teachings of Jesus?

:eusa_eh:

Thou shalt not murder. Beyond that talk to the Founding Fathers. They wrote the 2nd Amendment.

Again, the quotes you've provided are about Jesus exacting vengeance from someone that HE judges evil...not a human doing it without the judgment of God.

Presuming there is a God, nothing we do is without that judgment.
Very true, but that has nothing to do with my question about Jesus and guns.

Of course it has SOMEthing to do with your question if you bother to logically draw out the point without having your hand held the whole way.

Lets be honest here, for all his goodness, Jesus was the biggest Jesus-freak of all time. A lot of what he taught just doesn't square with practicality. I mean don't forget, we're talking about a guy who would rather willingly be crucified than fight back. The meek may or may not inherit the earth, but in the mean time meekness sure isn't especially fruitful.
Are you saying Jesus was misguided or perhaps not a shining example of intelligent design? :confused:

uh--not that hard to willingly die when you know ressurrection is right around the corner
True..but if you're a believer you would already believe that it was...

Of course it has SOMEthing to do with your question if you bother to logically draw out the point without having your hand held the whole way.
:cuckoo: Everything we do is presumably judged...so how does that mean that Jesus is okay with people owning guns. :lol:

Depends on what fruits you seek.

:cuckoo: Everything we do is presumably judged...so how does that mean that Jesus is okay with people owning guns. :lol:

Did you read the rest of my posts or just that one? I'd rather not repeat myself.

i do not think Jesus would be upset with us for having guns to hunt with or protect ourselves....what he hints at though, is that when your weapon does not protect you, what can happen then...verses taking the pacifist route in the first place...

if you choose to fight with the sword, expect for the sword to be used on you...those who fight by the sword die by the sword.

those who choose to not to fight, may go in to captivity, and in captivity they will stay...(alive).

that's how i view it!

I don't think He would be against defending oneself with arms vs the Word of God, but know what your outcome could be....

I'll admit, I've no problem with people owning guns. In fact I think that the slim chance we could rise up against a bad government justifies it easily.

But I often wonder, how do Christians reconcile their belief in people owning guns with the teachings of Jesus?

You don't own the gun to kill, you own the gun to keep from being killed or for sport.

I don't see where Jesus would have a problem with that.

You can kill someone with a fork or a shovel or a rope...If you want to kill someone you find a way, it's not the gun that is the killer it is the spirit of the man holding the weapon.

IMHO it takes courage to kill with a fork, a shovel or a rope. A firearm is impersonal and the deed may be accomplished with little physical risk to killer.

Tell that to the old woman living by herself......:cuckoo:

Have you often also wondered if Jesus was okay with people owning knives forks or spoons. For that matter you can't own stones either. And and and... you can't own a stick.:cuckoo:

Oh yeah that's right, Jesus "broke" the bread for passover so yeah he probalby didn't own a bread knife.:eusa_whistle:

You people.

Let's see, back in Jesus time they didn't have guns but they did have swords.

Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
-John 18:10-11

Dude this was at the end of Jesus' life. By that time you would have thought that Jesus would have known that Peter owned a sword. Swords are kinda hard to hide you know.:cuckoo:

Notice Jesus didn't ask Peter to get rid of his sword either but rather to put it back into the sheath.

Last edited:

Did you read the rest of my posts or just that one? I'd rather not repeat myself.

>>>

You don't own the gun to kill, you own the gun to keep from being killed

It makes for a better defense than a knife from the kitchen drawer.

it's not the gun that is the killer it is the spirit of the man holding the weapon.

The end consequence of owning a gun is not always or even mostly resulting in anyone being maimed.

That would be for Jesus to decide, not on your "innocence", but on the nature of the act and your subsequent contrition.

My point was it is not the gun or the sword {or the fork} Jesus would be troubled with, it is the nature of the man who would draw his sword or gun in aggression.

Jesus did NOT defend himself from being killed, but the lesson was supposed to be his sacrifice for the rest of us who are only human and will need to be forgiven for our sins including defending ourselves if we need to.

Have you often also wondered if Jesus was okay with people owning knives forks or spoons. For that matter you can't own stones either. And and and... you can't own a stick.:cuckoo:

Oh yeah that's right, Jesus "broke" the bread for passover so yeah he probalby didn't own a bread knife.:eusa_whistle:

You people.

Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

Dude this was at the end of Jesus' life. By that time you would have thought that Jesus would have known that Peter owned a sword. Swords are kinda hard to hide you know.:cuckoo:

Notice Jesus didn't ask Peter to get rid of his sword either but rather to put it back into the sheath.

you missed the part in Matthew's scripture on this AND what Jesus said IN FULL to him...I GUESS this was by accident??? ;)

NIV© Matthew 26 describing the same incident with his disciple drawing his sword...."Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

WHY did Jesus tell him this thelight?

You people.

Ravi has had this pointed out to her repeatedly. She's intentionally dense on this subject because her object is not to learn, but to taunt.

You people.

you missed the part in Matthew's scripture on this AND what Jesus said IN FULL to him...I GUESS this was by accident??? ;)

No, it wasn't by accident. It just wasn't the point that I was trying to make at the time but you raise a good point to the second half of the message. (that is if you would include the rest of the message from the verse you quote in Matthew);)

NIV© Matthew 26 describing the same incident with his disciple drawing his sword...."Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
-Matthew 26:53

You see, we have a far greater thing than guns and the weapons of men. It is the Sword of the Lord which is the word of Truth. There is nothing wrong with owning a sword or a gun nor is there anything wrong with using it. But to kill in defense of flesh in general is a trivial thing. Spiritual warfare is much more important.

You people.

It's very true. It is no way a condemnation of owning swords, it's a statement of fact. He did not, however, say that all who live by the sword will be denied a place in heaven. He just said soldiers and fighters are likely to die that way.

The entire premise of this thread is retarded. Clearly not one single brand of Christianity fully embraces Jesus' teachings about turning the other cheek. Not one. So if Jesus' opinions about self-defense in general are widely disregarded, why would anyone care what he would have to say about the particulars, with respect to weaponry?

You people.

Ravi has had this pointed out to her repeatedly. She's intentionally dense on this subject because her object is not to learn, but to taunt.

Well the point is to disarm the so called "Religious Right" because they are "clinging to their guns" so that they can more easily usher in their "new world order." This undoubtedly will happen and I could care less except for the fact that it means the promise of Jesus is comming closer. Even so come quickly Lord Jesus.:eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back