Jesse Jackson Jr. Resigns, Sending a Letter Full of Howlers the Press Will Likely Let

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Jesse Jackson Jr. Resigns, Sending a Letter Full of Howlers the Press Will Likely Let Slide​

By: Tom Blumer
November 21, 2012

Jesse Jackson Jr. resigned from office today. The timing of the Democratic congressman's resignation (even beyond it taking place on Thanksgiving Eve) is convenient, coming just two weeks after his reelection and prior to what in apparently an imminent indictment. The former enables Democratic Party kingpins in Chicago and its south suburbs to ensure that the seat stays with someone they like and can control (a general election situation with a preceding mini-primary might have been more problematic), while resigning before an indictment makes it likely that Jackson will be eligible for a congressional pension he might have lost had he still been in office when charged.

We are told that Jackson is too distraught to get through a publicly spoken resignation and that he cancelled a conference call with his staff. His resignation letter (original here; Washington Post transcription here) to House Speaker John Boehner, our best potential window to his current state of mind, reveals a man who is utterly full of himself and his wonderfulness. In the process of building this monument to himself, Jackson delivered several self-evident falsehoods the press would never let a Republican in a similar position get away with making without sharp criticism. Since it's a public document, the letter follows the jump (bolds and numbered tags are mine):

Read more:
Jesse Jackson Jr. Resigns, Sending a Letter Full of Howlers the Press Will Likely Let Slide | NewsBusters.org

I'm very disappointed in Jesse "Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree" Jackson, Jr. At the very least I hoped his resignation letter would spell out what his slut girlfriend did for him that he felt she earned a $40,000.00 Rolex watch gift (compliments of campaign donors?).

Oh, well. At least now he'll have more time to spend with his bastard stepbrother.

Jesse Jackson Jr charged with fraud...
:clap2:
Jesse Jackson Jr charged with misusing campaign funds
15 February 2013 - Jesse Jackson Jr resigned in November after nearly 18 years in office
A former congressman and son of a prominent civil rights leader has been charged with spending campaign funds on personal expenses. Jesse Jackson Jr of Illinois is accused of misusing $750,000 (£483,000). The Democrat has not yet entered a plea but has released a statement accepting responsibility for "mistakes". Mr Jackson, 47, resigned in November weeks after winning re-election, after acknowledging he was being treated for bipolar disorder. "I offer no excuses for my conduct and I fully accept my responsibility for the improper decisions and mistakes I have made," Mr Jackson said.

Watches and fur capes

His wife, Sandi, has also been charged with one count of tax fraud, after prosecutors accused her of filing false joint tax returns. She has pleaded guilty and has signed a plea agreement with prosecutors, her lawyer said. Prosecutors said Mr Jackson "unlawfully, wilfully and knowingly combined, conspired, confederated and agreed" to commit offences against the US, according to court documents. Prosecutors say that between 2007 and 2009 Mr Jackson used campaign funds to buy a gold-plated Rolex watch worth $43,350, fur capes and parkas worth $5,150, and about $9,588 in children's furniture.

He is also accused of failing to report $28,500 in gifts and loans to the House of Representatives, where he has served since 1995. Mr Jackson, son of Chicago civil rights leader the Rev Jesse Jackson, faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison; his wife faces up to three years, according to federal sentencing guidelines. But Mrs Jackson's lawyer said the plea deal "does not contemplate a sentence of that length".

Other penalties against Mr Jackson could include a fine of up to $250,000, US media report. In addition, authorities may try to seize more than $60,000 in memorabilia and furs linked to the alleged fraud. Mr Jackson has also been under investigation by the House ethics committee over his dealings with jailed ex-Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich, who was accused of trying to auction off President Barack Obama's former US Senate seat to the highest bidder. Mr Jackson resigned from office on 21 November.

BBC News - Jesse Jackson Jr charged with misusing campaign funds

Forum List

Back