Jerry Mathers (The Beaver) on Mike Hukabee

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Mathers was talking about what a perfect mom June was.

Then they showed clips of recent TV parents ie the guy on the Sofranos beating up on his son, some moms cussing till the air was blue etc

freaking love (d) the 50s.

My wife thinks June Cleaver was the epitome of an American housewife. We were watching an episode once where she was in the kitchen cooking while wearing an expensive looking dress. My wife said; "Look how elegant she is!"

Well - for one thing - Barbara Billingsly (June) died recently.

I lived through the 50's.

I remember most of it.

It was a mixed bag.

Some of it sucked and none of us would want to go back to it.

Some of it was great.

I would NOT want to be a woman in the 50s or a black man, either.

I lived through the 50's.

I remember most of it.

It was a mixed bag.

Some of it sucked and none of us would want to go back to it.

Some of it was great.

I would NOT want to be a woman in the 50s or a black man, either.

or gay

I was born in 1951. I remember the last years of the 50's very well. I had a blast. The 50's were wonderful and a great time to grow up. The 60's were great fun too.

More kids I grew up with were like Eddie Haskell than Wally and the Beav

I was born in 1951. I remember the last years of the 50's very well. I had a blast. The 50's were wonderful and a great time to grow up. The 60's were great fun too.

Yup.

Of course, at the time I had no way of knowing just how blessed I was.

But the point I was trying to make is that I happened to be so blessed.

Meanwhile other kids living in other parts of town weren't quite so lucky.

:eusa_whistle:
Mathers was talking about what a perfect mom June was.

Then they showed clips of recent TV parents ie the guy on the Sofranos beating up on his son, some moms cussing till the air was blue etc

freaking love (d) the 50s.

You actually believe the 50s was like the TV show "Leave It To Beaver???"

What are you, outta your friggin' tree??

The 50s reality:
The Red Scare
The McCarthy hearings.
Jim Crow
Racial segregation
Continued widespread distrust and hatred of Americans of Asian ancestry
Imposed Christianity in public schools
The criminal hegemony of the Mafia

...just to name a few.

There was a lot good about the 50s - America's post-war prosperity, for example (which we have lost because we don't give a damn about funding education anymore, prosperity being something which is fueled by innovation which requires an educated populace) - but the US also reeked with ill during the 50s too.

Now we have the Green scare, and imposed gay education in schools.

But in the home, things back then were a tad more mannered, structured, traditional.

Not really. There may have been more "yes sir/no sir" and less profanity. But most homes openly encouraged racism, hatred of jews, intolerance of gays and a defined role for women. I also remember how much domestic violence was tolerated as well as child abuse

I prefer today

Last edited:
Now we have the Green scare, and imposed gay education in schools.

But in the home, things back then were a tad more mannered, structured, traditional.

Not really. There may have been more "yes sir/no sir" and less profanity. But most homes openly encouraged racism, hatred of jews, intolerance of gays and a defined role for women. I also remember how much domestic violence was tolerated as well as child abuse

I prefer today

Exactly. Mrs. Cleaver and Marian Cunningham always had dinner ready when their husbands got home because if they dared not they'd get slapped around until their memories improved, sometimes in front of the kids. Kids got good grades in school because (at least in my house) anything lower than a "C" meant an automatic whipping with a belt.

...Good times, good times.

Forum List

Back