Jerry Falwell just died

Thats the difference between us. You pray for justice. I pray for mercy. Thing is im not sure youll be happy when you get your prayers answered.

We have BOTH a Just God and a Merciful God, so I am certain He can accomplish the wishes of the both of you! ;)

I am by no means a fan of the likes of falwell.. but reveling in his death is just dispicable. The man had an opinion and, with like minded followers, moved an agenda via democracy. THAT is as American as it gets.

anyone want to remind me who Jerry Fallwell killed in order to get his point accross?

You werent happy when Saddam was hung??? Fucking Liar !!!! You were on here tooting about Bush is the man this and that.. Bunch of republican hypocrits.

Celebrating someones death is sick and wrong. I dont care how evil you might think that person was it is wrong to do so. Its just wrong.

Despite his weaknesses, Rev Falwell served his life trying to do what he felt was right. and more so I think he recognized his weaknesses. And because of that I think he has a much better chance of receiving mercy than those who celebrate his death and are murderers in their heart.

Because as you said we should consider the feelings of others which would include his family. While you wish them condolencses, a wish for some sort of punishment in the afterlife probably isn't that consoling.

I'm wondering a number of things.... did you cheer when Saddam Hussein was killed? How 'bout his sons??

I'm also wondering about the way Falwell told gay people that *they* were going to hell and his lack of feelings for *their* families.

I don't applaud his death. I'm very glad, though, that he can't pass along his vile hatred any longer.

saddam killed people he disagreed with.

Falwell and his followers voted and proved that democracy works... even if you disagree with their opinions.

sure.. the same people getting uppity about celebrating death today were doing cartwheels the day saddam hung..

but why act the same way over the death of a man who was CLEARLY less socially devestating than a tyrant like saddam? in the end, whose purpose will it serve?

To those who knew him, I am sure he was a very loving and kind man.

I think that the left feels little pity around his death because they saw him as a political devil using religion.... that was his "public" appearance....

I think that the left saw great hypocrisy with him...singling out abortion and singling out gays as the "ills" of the world's family values....

When all abortion could be gone and all gays could be straight and we STILL would have a huge family values issue here on earth with the misogynist attitude of men today...and with the divorce rate among families and the number of women having their babies on their own with little or no help at all from the father in rearing....

He focused on such a small minute part of society instead of looking in the mirror or out in the pews of his congregation in my humble opinion....which is where the majority of the ills of the family unit, was failing us...

And he seemed to focus on these small issues for political posturing reasons...

many of us, had a problem with this.....

yet let me say as a believer....we all fall short of the glory of God, and none of us perfect or truely deserving, though some seem moreso than others...but this is clearly a human thought.

Care

He raised money and supported the current Admin who in turn got Americans killed for a war built on lies.

I bet there is at least one person he took money from who never lived in the grand manner Falwell did yeat ended up dying in Iraq.

He was so wrong about so many things and he hurt people with the money he took from them yet lived very nicely on it himself.

I'm wondering a number of things.... did you cheer when Saddam Hussein was killed? How 'bout his sons??

I was happy when he got caught. There deaths I can't say that I felt much of anything about. I don't recall being glad or upset or anything, more like just a chapter closed.

I'm also wondering about the way Falwell told gay people that *they* were going to hell and his lack of feelings for *their* families.

I keep wonder why people keep using the "well he did it too" defense. As if that justifies your behavior and feelings somehow.

I was happy when he got caught. There deaths I can't say that I felt much of anything about. I don't recall being glad or upset or anything, more like just a chapter closed.

That's how I feel about Falwell.

I keep wonder why people keep using the "well he did it too" defense. As if that justifies your behavior and feelings somehow.

Which begs the question as to why people who act a certain way get their noses all out of joint when they get all holier than thou and people call them on it.

He raised money and supported the current Admin who in turn got Americans killed for a war built on lies.

I bet there is at least one person he took money from who never lived in the grand manner Falwell did yeat ended up dying in Iraq.

He was so wrong about so many things and he hurt people with the money he took from them yet lived very nicely on it himself.

dont you hate it when the right bitches about george soros doing the exact same thing for his opinion on specific causes.... while they vehemently insist that he is wrong, evil, bad for the country? I know I sure do.

wrong about so many things? I AGREE.
but those are as much merely our opinons as he and his followers had regarding their political activism... AND george soros..

I ask you, would you rather deal with a christian hellbent on using democracy or one willing to use the bonfire? Again, who did Falwell kill? Who died because of his political agenda?

let he who is sinnless cast the first stone.. if you dont mind an athiest quoting the bible.

saddam killed people he disagreed with.

Falwell and his followers voted and proved that democracy works... even if you disagree with their opinions.

sure.. the same people getting uppity about celebrating death today were doing cartwheels the day saddam hung..

but why act the same way over the death of a man who was CLEARLY less socially devestating than a tyrant like saddam? in the end, whose purpose will it serve?

Democracy of the elite.

Exercising your right to garner votes through religious indoctrination and ensuring that through donations, is hardly fair and democratic.

Especially when your executing the will of people you have brainwashed to agree with you.

Saddam was at least honest in his brutality, and appears to now have been a necessity in controlling the region.

Democracy of the elite.

Exercising your right to garner votes through religious indoctrination and ensuring that through donations, is hardly fair and democratic.

Especially when your executing the will of people you have brainwashed to agree with you.

Saddam was at least honest in his brutality, and appears to now have been a necessity in controlling the region.

why is it you assume that those who followed falwell are any more brainwashed than the typical liberal arts liberal fresh from a state university? No one wears a scarlet letter anymore. If you cannot respect their perogative to form an opinion then why should anyone respect yours? There have always been conmen and those who will donate. Hell, how many times are we going to end hunger in Africa with some lame assed U2 concert? a cult of personality is by no means a tool of just the right. In fact, MANY on that side of the spectrum can claim as much about elite leaders on the left, yes?

..and , im willing to bet, being honest in brutality would be nothing to rationalize if you were the focus of that brutality.

dont rationalize the acts of a tyrant just because our leaders, who we disagree with on the iraq war, are fuckups.

why is it you assume that those who followed falwell are any more brainwashed than the typical liberal arts liberal fresh from a state university? No one wears a scarlet letter anymore. If you cannot respect their perogative to form an opinion then why should anyone respect yours? There have always been conmen and those who will donate. Hell, how many times are we going to end hunger in Africa with some lame assed U2 concert? a cult of personality is by no means a tool of just the right. In fact, MANY on that side of the spectrum can claim as much about elite leaders on the left, yes?

Yes

..and , im willing to bet, being honest in brutality would be nothing to rationalize if you were the focus of that brutality.

True. But far more have suffered at the hand of the US than Saddam, all due to our excercising of Democracy.

dont rationalize the acts of a tyrant just because our leaders, who we disagree with on the iraq war, are fuckups.

Would you agree that it is likely and appears that a viable solution to Iraq is the installation of a power much like Saddam? One sympathetic to US interests.

No one had a problem with Saddam until he stopped listening to the US.

This is true, without the evangelical vote....there would be no first or second term for George Bush. Therefore there would be no Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the other puppets who built this war, therefore there would be no war. And Falwell was a VERY large part of the money used to get that evangelical vote. So It is suffice to say that without falwell, George Bush would have had a much harder time getting the evangelical vote needed to get in office.

Basically, He helped bush win the election which clearly could have gone both ways in 04 and in 00. Without selling Bush's faith to the christians, he would have NO tactic for winning an election. That WAS his tactic.

This is why I believe falwell had been on a downfall the months before he died, due to the unpopularity of Bush and the War. He lost several churches, and was basically bankrupt, if it wasnt for key advisors who helped him handle his donations better, he would be in debt up to his eyes.

Wish someone to go to hell is not evil? Sorry MM, there's no spinning this one.

Is that what God would want you to pray for I wonder?

What about sending someone to Hell? Surely that is more evil than wishing a fascistic piece of fundie shit gets what he wished on millions of others?

Would you invent then send BILLIONS of your kids to Hell because two of them offended you by trying to improve their minds?

"True. But far more have suffered at the hand of the US than Saddam, all due to our excercising of Democracy."

come on, dude.. we dont gas anyone this side of ww1. The US has it's faults but we are no villainous tirant even if the rhetoric sounds appleaing. it is a little much and, even if true, is only applicable every 4 year electoral cycle that actually represents your fellow Americans more than it does any single leader, eh? Arent you glad that republican ponys like Falwells don't retain power in the same fashion as Saddam?

"Would you agree that it is likely and appears that a viable solution to Iraq is the installation of a power much like Saddam? One sympathetic to US interests. "

no. not at all. meet the new boss, so to speak. no.

No one had a problem with Saddam until he stopped listening to the US.

oh im QUITE sure that those who were fealing saddams wrath had many issues with saddam.

Again, Falwell was no Saddam.

suggesting such digs the pidgeon hole deeper.

I am by no means a fan of the likes of falwell.. but reveling in his death is just dispicable. The man had an opinion and, with like minded followers, moved an agenda via democracy. THAT is as American as it gets.

anyone want to remind me who Jerry Fallwell killed in order to get his point accross?

Ditto for Torquemada and Ayatollah Khomeini! :eusa_pray:

I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm not upset by it either...shrug...

In saying that, somebody who spreads hatred no longer has a voice. From that POV it is good. It's a pity it had to take his death to silence him. Maybe some introspection and keeping his gob shut would have been a better solution...

You have a choice. You do not have to listen to those who speak. You do not even have to reply to those who speak. I would often choose to watch Falwell and shake my head as he mouths off. It was entertaining to me in ways that he may not have intended it to be. I guess that one of my points is that you can strongly disagree with a message without hating the messenger. May we agree to disagree without being so disagreeable.

Forum List

Back