Jerry Brown closing 70 state parks in Ca.

we all own these parks in cali.

They are YOUR bills if you live in cali

Then idiot... why say the wealthy should pay for the parks? I agree.... the parks belong to EVERYONE...and EVERYONE should pay for them. Wealth and poor alike.

http://media.scpr.org/documents/2011/05/13/2011ParkClosures_attachments20110513.pdf

This is what you get when you hate government so much you would rather the wealthy get tax cuts than pay your bills

Agree... no money... no parks.

I would have preferred no money....no pork.

I am sure you are fightin mad over Bachmann lobbying to get pork for her and her family's businesses.

Personally, I think that should be illegal.

Like handing out tobbacy checks on the floor of the congress. Like Boehner did..

Now don't get all pissy and partisan hacky....

i am mad about ALL pork... i don't give a shit who it is for, who it is from... or why.

The parks could have stayed open if CA pork was pared down.

:lol:

Oh do explain that one.

Personally..I think the "three strikes" law should go buh bye. That's very expensive. Putting a guy in jail for life for stealing video cassettes may "feel" good..but it's gonna cost big.

They should pay the level of taxes that represents their level of gain from the soceity.

I am sure you are fightin mad over Bachmann lobbying to get pork for her and her family's businesses.

Like handing out tobbacy checks on the floor of the congress. Like Boehner did..

i am mad about ALL pork... i don't give a shit who it is for, who it is from... or why.

Oh do explain that one.

Personally..I think the "three strikes" law should go buh bye. That's very expensive. Putting a guy in jail for life for stealing video cassettes may "feel" good..but it's gonna cost big.

I voted against it.

I can remember telling people it woud be a mess and EVERYONE I talked to about it thought it included only crimes of violence.

They did not realise that people would end up with a lifetime sentance for petty crimes.

Oh do explain that one.

Three strikes works for me. Two strikes would work better though. I am sick of criminals and would be very happy to see prison budget cut. If that means a less cushy life in prison...tough.

That work?

You might at least quote the entire statement:

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

You are a perfect example of the complete lack of humor in liberal thinking.

Your avatar seems to be a perfect reflection of you. Anger and lashing out with not a hint of reflective thought.

Last edited:
Ever hear of silicon valley? :lol:

Yeah, I have heard of them. I have also heard that they are losing businesses to states with a more friendly tax attitude towards buisness along with the rest of the state. Pointing ot a valley that is still making money while the rest of the state is losing jobs at a record rate to states that don't feel the need to tax corpoprations out of existence is a piss poor argument on your part.

"Closing" is a political term. Does the governor think the state parks can be locked up and preserved? Jerry is abandoning 70 structures and state parks to criminals and junkies. The dirty little secret is that local sheriff's depts will be extended beyond their ability to protect citizens and property within the parks and the situation will snowball until local municipalities cannot support the tax burdon.

No shit sherlock. I was a manager in a California law enforcement agency and understand very well how the state raided our revenue. Ever since prop. 13 California has had a revenue problem. In his first term Jerry Brown got rid of the Governors Mansion and drove a Plymouth (and not a new one). He was fiscally responsible; the next several Governors were not, and that included 22 years of Republican Governors and 5 years of one Democratic Governor - who got recalled. Remember, the governor of CA has the line item veto.

You keep repeating that the "governor of CA has the line item veto".. But what you're NOT telling folks is because of the awful mess that voters have created thru the "democratic initiative" process -- that LITERALLY 80% or more of those budget items are BEYOND his ability to veto.

For example, back in about (not sure) 199X, the voters elected to peg education spending to something like 70% of the budget. It's freaking AUTOMATIC, and a matter of LAW -- not a vetoable budget item. Put into that the BILLIONS of bucks in voter approved BOND ISSUES for hi speed rail (lined some pockets), Stem cell research (lined some other pockets) and dozens of other Bonds. Hardly a bond issue EVER rejected by the voters.

((And of course union and state employee contracts HAVE to be honored or ole Jerry goes Scott Walker all over the place))) So probably 90% of the budget is NOW AUTOMATIC...

By Concentrating on partisian issues, you are ignoring the obvious complicity of the Cal residents themselves in this mess. I saw the obvious disaster coming and bailed. With all my "gold" from the "golden state"...

Last edited:
I would think Republicans would be thrilled with Jerry Brown. Wasn't the budget shortfall under Ahhnold almost 30 billion? Isn't it now down to about 10 billion?

And look at the things he cuts: Welfare, state workers are taking a 10% pay decrease and Republicans favorite: $750 million from services for the developmentally disabled

Don't Republicans want to end the Special Olympics and other programs to help disabled Americans?

Jerry Brown

Specifically, the budget plan would cut:

• $1.5 billion from welfare

• $1.7 billion from Medi-Cal

• $500 million each from the UC and CSU systems

• $750 million from services for the developmentally disabled

• And $200 million from the state bureaucracy.

and how did this come to pass oh wise one? how did we get to the point where in those reductions are necessary?

You're such a dishonest partisan hack. Wait, maybe I wrote too soon. Maybe you really are stupid and don't understand the issues here. Sorry, mea culpa I should never call a mentally challenged fool, oops, mentally challenged partisan hack dishonest. Stupid is as stupid is.

so explain it nitwit.

Califorinia, much as the nation, spends to much and collects too little. California also has the line item veto, so the deficit could have been avoided had the past Gov. exercised fiscal responsibility; he was too busy practicing family values with his maid.

Gov. Brown is exercising fiscal responsibility. The money is not there to fund everything. He attempted to put a minor tax issue on the ballot, not to raise taxes, but to continue to collect taxes which were set to expire. The Republicans refused to "raise taxes".

It's really that simple. The fact is the OP author isn't stupid, he is a partisan hack and a liar.

so they overspent and now have to make up for it...thx for clearing that up.

"Closing" is a political term. Does the governor think the state parks can be locked up and preserved? Jerry is abandoning 70 structures and state parks to criminals and junkies. The dirty little secret is that local sheriff's depts will be extended beyond their ability to protect citizens and property within the parks and the situation will snowball until local municipalities cannot support the tax burdon.

No shit sherlock. I was a manager in a California law enforcement agency and understand very well how the state raided our revenue. Ever since prop. 13 California has had a revenue problem. In his first term Jerry Brown got rid of the Governors Mansion and drove a Plymouth (and not a new one). He was fiscally responsible; the next several Governors were not, and that included 22 years of Republican Governors and 5 years of one Democratic Governor - who got recalled. Remember, the governor of CA has the line item veto.

You keep repeating that the "governor of CA has the line item veto".. But what you're NOT telling folks is because of the awful mess that voters have created thru the "democratic initiative" process -- that LITERALLY 80% or more of those budget items are BEYOND his ability to veto.

For example, back in about (not sure) 199X, the voters elected to peg education spending to something like 70% of the budget. It's freaking AUTOMATIC, and a matter of LAW -- not a vetoable budget item. Put into that the BILLIONS of bucks in voter approved BOND ISSUES for hi speed rail (lined some pockets), Stem cell research (lined some other pockets) and dozens of other Bonds. Hardly a bond issue EVER rejected by the voters.

((And of course union and state employee contracts HAVE to be honored or ole Jerry goes Scott Walker all over the place))) So probably 90% of the budget is NOW AUTOMATIC...

By Concentrating on partisian issues, you are ignoring the obvious complicity of the Cal residents themselves in this mess. I saw the obvious disaster coming and bailed. With all my "gold" from the "golden state"...

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Yep. Every single bleeding heart program/bond measure that goes up for a vote (of which non of them will pay for) gets voted in.

Syrenne:

Civics in action ain't it? That's why we live in a Republic and not a direct Democracy. Except we're supposed to have representatives who actually LEGISLATE and fix stuff, not just mug for the cameras.

BTW: Despite my politics -- Jerry Brown is one of my top political heroes. He IS a problem solver and a fixer...

Syrenne:

Civics in action ain't it? That's why we live in a Republic and not a direct Democracy. Except we're supposed to have representatives who actually LEGISLATE and fix stuff, not just mug for the cameras.

BTW: Despite my politics -- Jerry Brown is one of my top political heroes. He IS a problem solver and a fixer...

He IS a problem solver and a fixer.

how so?

Trajan:

I've watch Jerry closely in Cal since he ran for Prez.. (wasn't there for his 1st gov term). Always impressed me with his focus on details, savvy use of technology (remember "governor MoonBeam") and his willingness to abandon partisian crappola to fix a problem..

He went thru ABSOLUTE HELL as mayor of Oakland when he proposed a "military academy" as a solution for boosting ghetto academic acheivement. The LEFT WENT BESERK. Uniforms? Drills? 6 day a week classes? Was accused of collecting potential corpses for the US military.

But as usual, he was right. There was a line out the door on 1st enrollment day. Still has many more applicants than slots and YES -- it's one of the best academic choices in Oakland.

He understands the sensitivity to government waste. Dates rock n roll stars. Works with ideas from all sides. Hard to believe that he actually retains that "progressive edge" that he claims to still have. I'm sure given the opportunity -- he'd spend money on nanny state crap. But he's the hardest working politician I've ever seen.. Gotta respect that..

Last edited:
I would think Republicans would be thrilled with Jerry Brown. Wasn't the budget shortfall under Ahhnold almost 30 billion? Isn't it now down to about 10 billion?

And look at the things he cuts: Welfare, state workers are taking a 10% pay decrease and Republicans favorite: $750 million from services for the developmentally disabled

Don't Republicans want to end the Special Olympics and other programs to help disabled Americans?

Jerry Brown

I agree with everything but the developmentally disabled. This would include the mentally ill, who have always got the short end of the stick. THESE are the people that need help, yet the ones who truly need it and deserve it never see a dime of the money.

As far as state parks, Washington now is charging entrance to all parks - 10 bucks a person OR a Discover Pass for 30 bucks a year for the whole family. PLUS the price of camping overnight if you so choose.

And Washington has been under total Democrat rule for over 40 years. So you can't blame OUR fiscal issues on Republicans at all. When they tax each and everything you do, think about or visit, people quit doing the things that are taxed the most, it's that simple. It's like giving your kid an allowance and he knows what that is supposed to cover. Soon he's buying more and more and wants more and more money from you. That's what happening now. There are so many cuts the government could make, things which would not affect any of us, which many of us don't know exist, but as I said the mentally ill have gotten the short of the stick for a very long time.

Why are Republicans complaining? This is what they want for the entire country.

Where do you get such silly ideas? Show me an example of republicans wanting any such thing for the entire country; and do try to compare apples to apples.

I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub. - Grover Norquist

That work?

Have you noticed how little right wingers know about their leaders.

"Where do you get such silly ideas?"

Oh, I don't know, from your leaders? How can you have a meaningful argument with these people? You point out what their leaders say and they call you a liar. You PROVE to them what their leaders say, and they just walk away and refuse to believe it. Yet, they continue to support the same leaders. Not because of their true positions, but what the base IMAGINES those positions to be.

Then when they ask the question, "Where do you get those silly ideas?", they are shocked to find out the truth. So shocked, they simply can't believe it. Which means they won't believe it.

Jerry Brown

I agree with everything but the developmentally disabled. This would include the mentally ill, who have always got the short end of the stick. THESE are the people that need help, yet the ones who truly need it and deserve it never see a dime of the money.

As far as state parks, Washington now is charging entrance to all parks - 10 bucks a person OR a Discover Pass for 30 bucks a year for the whole family. PLUS the price of camping overnight if you so choose.

And Washington has been under total Democrat rule for over 40 years. So you can't blame OUR fiscal issues on Republicans at all. When they tax each and everything you do, think about or visit, people quit doing the things that are taxed the most, it's that simple. It's like giving your kid an allowance and he knows what that is supposed to cover. Soon he's buying more and more and wants more and more money from you. That's what happening now. There are so many cuts the government could make, things which would not affect any of us, which many of us don't know exist, but as I said the mentally ill have gotten the short of the stick for a very long time.

Obama made many Democrats angry when he supported and signed into law a bill that makes it legal to carry loaded fire arms into national parks. Republicans say he want's to take away their guns. So tired of Republican's ignorance. They just hate the black guy. Their only real issue is race.

Forum List

Back