Jerky White People/ Where's your Manners?

freeandfun1 said:
LOL - That reminds ME of a story.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Costco getting gas. The lines can get long sometimes and it is always crowded (cheap gas does that). Well, the two cars at the two pumps in front of us pulled forward to leave after filling up. The car in front of me, instead of pulling forward to the front pump stopped and so I had to wait (no room to get around him). I honked trying to get him to pull forward, but he just got out of his car and made some comment like, "you can wait". I replied, "you must be a transplanted New Yorker." He said, "yeah, what about it?". I just replied, "never mind, it is obvious. You New Yorkers are such asses".

i HATE people who do that. and i don't use the word "hate" unless it is an all out loathing for the action or person. and i have yet to actually hate a person. I just find more dislike or disgust with them.

i get on my hubby's case when he pulls into the station, but doesn't pull all the way to the last pump to allow others to fuel behind him. he doesn't do it all the time, but i tell him that it is not a nice thing to just go to the first one, thus possibly blocking the others.

fuzzykitten99 said:
The holding the door thing as far as women go, is something that you can blame the feminists for. They have made it common for women to be insulted instead of grateful/thankful or take it as a nice gesture. I thank anyone, especially guys, who hold the door for me, or let me enter first. I also take opportunities to do the same for others.

One guy that held the door for me once, after I said thank you, said that last time he did it, he got yelled at, with the woman asking if he thought she was helpless. I told him that it is a nice gesture, as well as just plain polite to hold the door for anyone. Call me old fashioned, but I liked it when I was out on dates (before I met my hubby) and the guys I went out with, opened my car door for me, and treated me like a lady. And they were only 16/17/18 years old. My hubby still does this for me every so often. Not all the time, because it just isn't practical for him to open my door and the backseat door for a baby who thinks his car seat is a torture device.

I remember once holding a door for an older woman when I was a young man. The way she glared at me, you would have thought I pinched her butt instead!

A pet peeve of mine is when a woman sees how neat I keep my house or workspace then makes the remark "that I'd make someone a good wife someday"....when I tell them that I consider that an offensive remark (plus they've practically called me gay), they look at me and can't understand why I'm offended. It's almost as if I said to them "Hey Baby, you have the face of a wart hog" and can't understand why they feel offended. I've told this story to some liberal friends of mine and they don't see why I should feel offended, either.

freeandfun1 said:
Today I was at the doctor's office with my wife. While sitting there waiting, I noticed an elderly lady that was using a walker heading for the door. I started to get up, but then I noticed this young Pharmaceuticals salesman, so I figured, "he'll help her". Then I notice this lady coming out of the office with an infant in one of those infant carriers/car seats. She too was heading toward the door. Needless to say, the young man suddenly looked down as he was walking toward the door. So the lady with the baby ended up having to open the door for the elderly lady with her left hand, while holding the carrier in her right as the elderly woman slowly shuffled through the door. The salesman stood there waiting never once reaching up to let the lady with the baby step away from the door. He never once reached for the door until she (rightfully so) let it slam in his face.

He was a pharmaceutical rep...whaddaya expect?

KarlMarx said:
I remember once holding a door for an older woman when I was a young man. The way she glared at me, you would have thought I pinched her butt instead!

A pet peeve of mine is when a woman sees how neat I keep my house or workspace then makes the remark "that I'd make someone a good wife someday"....when I tell them that I consider that an offensive remark (plus they've practically called me gay), they look at me and can't understand why I'm offended. It's almost as if I said to them "Hey Baby, you have the face of a wart hog" and can't understand why they feel offended. I've told this story to some liberal friends of mine and they don't see why I should feel offended.

You should be offended. They make assumptions about you that are unfounded. I've been there and done that. I didn't get married until I was 40. (I wanted to do it right the first time...And I did) While not offended, I was hit on by most of the gay men I worked with and my sister was worrying that I was turning into the weird uncle no one wants to talk about.

But I've put her fears to rest, and the gay men at work know I'm a confirmed breeder. What I'm trying to say is, "If they've got problems, they are their problems...screw 'em."

Oh yes, by all means. Let's all get offended at everything. Karl, what you need to do is put your sense of humor in gear and consider the source. If you feel that no offense was intended and the remark was just a good-natured jab, then laugh and forget about it. If you think that a woman said "you would have made a good wife" in a snide manner, then simply reply "Perhaps I would, but you wouldn't".

If you get peeved and offended at every minor remark, you'll end up a bitter, crabby, humorless curmudgeon . . . like Bully.

Merlin1047 said:
Oh yes, by all means. Let's all get offended at everything. Karl, what you need to do is put your sense of humor in gear and consider the source. If you feel that no offense was intended and the remark was just a good-natured jab, then laugh and forget about it. If you think that a woman said "you would have made a good wife" in a snide manner, then simply reply "Perhaps I would, but you wouldn't".

If you get peeved and offended at every minor remark, you'll end up a bitter, crabby, humorless curmudgeon . . . like Bully.

Oh...You <b>DO</b> care! :laugh:

I disagree. I even disagree with their belief that things are more efficient in NYC than in the "fake manners" South. They're not, trust me. I think that manners make life nicer and make things easier.

Manners are nice. But southerners are no less rude than anyone else.

Forum List

Back