Jenny McCarthy: My son's recovery from autism

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
CNN) -- In light of the recent Hannah Poling decision, in which the federal court conceded that vaccines could have contributed to her autism, we think the tide is finally turning in the direction of parents like us who have been shouting concerns from our rooftops for years.

Autism is a debilitating disorder, which according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is suffered by 1 in 150 kids, making it more common than childhood cancer, diabetes and AIDS combined.

Recently, England and Ireland reported that autism is affecting one in 58 individuals.

Is it any wonder that autism has become many new parents' No. 1 fear?

We've met some of the most amazing moms and dads who are forging their own path to prevention and recovery. When our son, Evan, was diagnosed with autism we were lucky enough to benefit from their knowledge and experience. Evan has been healed to a great extent by many breakthroughs that, while perhaps not scientifically proven, have definitely helped Evan and many other children who are recovering from autism.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/02/mccarthy.autsimtreatment/index.html

Interesting read.

Thanks for this.

My GF works with handicapped people, and she's seen it all. Fragile X syndrome, CP, you name it. She says Autism is clearly the worst. With most disorders, there's a way to still get through to the patient and reason with them. With autism, no such luck the majority of the time.

Our son was born in August, and we're not vaccinating him until he's around 4 or so, if even at all. We understand the consequences of not vaccinating, as far as schooling goes, but no one's going to tell me I have to pump my kid full of dose after dose of THIS vaccine and THAT vaccine. It's ridiculous how many shots kids need to get these days.

We're mostly erring on the side of caution at this point, as we're not really that educated on the subject. I've read about it here and there, but only know the basics of the Thymerisol preservative that is used in vaccines, and how it's SUPPOSEDLY been reduced to the point of only needing individual doses of the vaccine instead of the doctor pulling 10 or 20 from a vial that gets re-used until it's gone.

I'm very concerned about those that are relying on those of us that have our children immunized:

http://www.pediatricnews.com/article/S0031-398X(08)70114-0/fulltext

ATLANTA — The recent measles outbreak in San Diego—started by one child who imported the disease from Switzerland—reinforces the ongoing need to maintain high vaccination coverage, Dr. Jane Seward said at the winter meeting of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

The unvaccinated 7-year-old boy, who had rash onset 12 days after returning to the United States, infected at least 11 additional children ranging in age from 10 months to 9 years. Four were infected in the pediatrician's office that the child had visited the day before he was taken to a hospital emergency department for high fever and generalized rash. Another two cases were the boy's siblings, while five attended his school.

One infant was hospitalized for 2 days for dehydration, and another traveled by plane to Hawaii while infectious, necessitating “quite a response” by public health authorities in that state, Dr. Seward noted.

All cases were unvaccinated, including eight whose parents had claimed personal belief exemptions. In fact, 10% of the 350 children in the index child's school—kindergarten through 9th grade—were unimmunized because of these sorts of such exemptions, said Dr. Seward, acting deputy director of the CDC's division of viral diseases, National Center for Immunizations and Respiratory Diseases. The other four children were unimmunized because three were less than 12 months of age and therefore too young to be vaccinated and the fourth had received her routine vaccination 6 days after the unrecognized exposure.

At the time of publication in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the episode had necessitated quarantine of 70 children who lacked evidence of immunity (MMWR 2008;57:[early release]1–4).

In the 1950s, 3 million to 4 million cases of measles occurred annually in the United States, causing 4,000 cases of encephalitis, 150,000 respiratory complications, 48,000 hospitalizations, and 450 deaths. Since the implementation of a two-dose immunization schedule in the early 1990s, measles is no longer endemic in the United States. Today, all of the 50 or so U.S. cases reported annually were imported from developed countries including those in Europe and Asia.

There's good and bad news in the San Diego situation, Dr. Seward said. The bad news is that measles is highly infectious and still poses a threat, unimmunized people are still at risk, and many health care providers are not familiar enough with the disease to ensure appropriate infection-control practices in their offices. But on the upside, there were no cases in immunized children. “The wall of immunity held fast. … We need to remember we have an ongoing challenge to sustaining high vaccine coverage to maintain our current [measles] elimination status.”

There are a few things you have to weigh up. Is there any relationship at all between jabs and autism? Studies done? What were the parameters of the studies?

Most importantly though, if there is a connection, you have to make a choice: If 1 in 150 kids going to become autistic if they take a tetanus jab, is that a reasonable number given that if they get tetanus and are not immunised they could die a very horrible death (same with diptheria etc).

There are a few things you have to weigh up. Is there any relationship at all between jabs and autism? Studies done? What were the parameters of the studies?

Most importantly though, if there is a connection, you have to make a choice: If 1 in 150 kids going to become autistic if they take a tetanus jab, is that a reasonable number given that if they get tetanus and are not immunised they could die a very horrible death (same with diptheria etc).

I have friends who had totally normal kids until they were vaccinated and became autistic after. Seems something in the stabilizing agents in the vaccine (probably the mercury) affects predisposed children.

It's a horrible nightmare for a parent.

My wife did reasearch at the University of Alabama. The program she worked in was an austism research center set up like a preschool. They had special ed qualified teachers with dual degrees and people like my wife( a very sharp doctoral student), observed and published findings. She thinks the vaccine thing s completely horseshit. She tells me that she has seen many kids misdiagnosed, but the ones that are dead on and have autism, project more psychological symtoms than physical. She told me tonight that austsm is the most misdiagnosed disorder in children under five. She chocks up the kids that responded to detox as misdiagnosed.

Still an interesting read, though.

I'm with you here. Until shown more evidence, I will still have my kid vaccinated. We are not that far removed from small pox, polio, and typhoid.

We vaccinated our son to no negative results, thankfully. But I saw what happened to the kids of a few of our friends. Their lives changed totally after. Why did your wife think the vaccination thing wasn't one explanation?

Thanks for this.

My GF works with handicapped people, and she's seen it all. Fragile X syndrome, CP, you name it. She says Autism is clearly the worst. With most disorders, there's a way to still get through to the patient and reason with them. With autism, no such luck the majority of the time.

Our son was born in August, and we're not vaccinating him until he's around 4 or so, if even at all. We understand the consequences of not vaccinating, as far as schooling goes, but no one's going to tell me I have to pump my kid full of dose after dose of THIS vaccine and THAT vaccine. It's ridiculous how many shots kids need to get these days.

We're mostly erring on the side of caution at this point, as we're not really that educated on the subject. I've read about it here and there, but only know the basics of the Thymerisol preservative that is used in vaccines, and how it's SUPPOSEDLY been reduced to the point of only needing individual doses of the vaccine instead of the doctor pulling 10 or 20 from a vial that gets re-used until it's gone.

My wife read this thread over my shoulder and suggested a couple of books. Here are some links:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Evidence-of-Harm/David-Kirby/e/9780312326456/?itm=2

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Vaccines/James-Lincoln-Collier/e/9780761415398/?itm=10

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=4071931461625&isbn=1881217329

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprin...sm&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

She said to ignore the bias in the first one, as it is written by a reporter and not a PhD. I read the first few pages and seems like an easier read than most of the shit she throws at me. Also, she said because she doesn't put any stock into it, doesn't mean it should be ignored.

We vaccinated our son to no negative results, thankfully. But I saw what happened to the kids of a few of our friends. Their lives changed totally after. Why did your wife think the vaccination thing wasn't one explanation?

She said, through her research the kids that showed improvement through detox, also exibited symptoms that were inclusive to other disorders( I am not a psycholgist and cannot even begin to describe what those symptoms are). Those that exhibited exclusive autistic symptoms did not respond to detox. The only thing that keeps her interested in the corrolation is that in not one of her studies, has she found a kid with autism that was not vaccinated(this of course could be the laws that require vaccinaton and that it is common practice).

She said, through her research the kids that showed improvement through detox, also exibited symptoms that were inclusive to other disorders( I am not a psycholgist and cannot even begin to describe what those symptoms are). Those that exhibited exclusive autistic symptoms did not respond to detox. The only thing that keeps her interested in the corrolation is that in not one of her studies, has she found a kid with autism that was not vaccinated(this of course could be the laws that require vaccinaton and that it is common practice).

I've heard as well that detox through total dietary modification helps. But that may be an approach to the symptoms and not the cause, much as changing one's eating habits can control glucose levels for diabetics. As you indicate, though, would probably be helpful to have a control group, although given vaccination requirements, that won't be easy unless one compares rates of autism in countries without vaccination requirements.

I've heard as well that detox through total dietary modification helps. But that may be an approach to the symptoms and not the cause, much as changing one's eating habits can control glucose levels for diabetics. As you indicate, though, would probably be helpful to have a control group, although given vaccination requirements, that won't be easy unless one compares rates of autism in countries without vaccination requirements.

All kids in the program were vaccinated. In the study she worked on, that was the control.

Forum List

Back