Jeffersonian Constitution

Russell

Jul 6, 2011
Dear Folks,
Thomas Jefferson more or less wrote the Declaration of Independence and James Madison wrote most of the Constitution. They were, what we would call today, pen pals - I could only imagine what they would have done with e-mail.

Jefferson was in Paris, and in a letter to Madison, dated September 6, 1789, he wrote "...no society can make a perpetual constitution, or even a perpetual law. The earth belongs always to the living generation... Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of 19 years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force and not of right."

In this lengthy letter Jefferson tells Madison how he arrived at 19 years.

Perhaps, we should have had or have a constitutional convention every 19 or 20 years as Jefferson suggested. If this were so, the supreme court would not have to stretch its imagination as far as it does.

Any comments on a Jeffersonian constitution?

Of course it is preposterous to imagine that we can thrive with a social contract that was written for a society that was pre-industrial, pre-electicity, and pre-mass communications, too.

The Floundering Fathers obviously understood that, which is exactly why they crafted a constitution that can be modified either by constitutional amendment, or the application of its priciples can be modified through case law.

This system is broke, kids.

I shiver at the thought of our current crop of incompetent leaders ever attempting to write another constitution. I wouldn't even trust them to write the bylaws in my homeowner association.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Of course it is preposterous to imagine that we can thrive with a social contract that was written for a society that was pre-industrial, pre-electicity, and pre-mass communications, too.

Yeah, man . I agree.

Back them folks believed in Liberty and the work ethic.

Nowadays 50% of the populace depends on government handouts and don't give a shit about liberty.

So the social contract must be amended to allow the Parasitic Faction to enslave the taxpayers and the producers.

As always, Heil Hitler.

Forum List

Back