Jefferson edits The Bible!

konradv

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2010
Baltimore adjacent
Apparently he wasn't a fan of miracles and cut-n-pasted together his own version of the gospels, leaving in the moral principles, but leaving out the supernatural parts. Would he have a prayer of being elected today, if that was known?

My Take: How Thomas Jefferson

Hidden from the world and academia in the Smithsonian.

What's it say on the title page?

The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth
Extracted textually from the gospels
In Greek, Latin, French, and English.

Edited Bible? Re-written?

Or simply what it says, the life and morals. Excerpts.
Those little daily bread pamphlets with bits and pieces of the NT, they aren't the complete text either. Shall we condemn them as well?

Much ado about nothing.

I am FLOORED that someone thinks this is a new revelation of some kind. I thought it was common knowledge. Is this truly the state of education about American History?

Jefferson did not re-write the Bible because he disagreed with it, but because he felt that Christianity of the time had lost its purity. Christianity as practiced emphasized form over substance. The rituals had replaced the principles.

How embarassing. For one thing, not to have known all along that Jefferson had written the Jeffersonian Bible, for another not to know why.

I am FLOORED that someone thinks this is a new revelation of some kind. I thought it was common knowledge. Is this truly the state of education about American History?

Jefferson did not re-write the Bible because he disagreed with it, but because he felt that Christianity of the time had lost its purity. Christianity as practiced emphasized form over substance. The rituals had replaced the principles.

How embarassing. For one thing, not to have known all along that Jefferson had written the Jeffersonian Bible, for another not to know why.

But rituals don't play a big part in the gospels. If you really know the history, why aren't you mentioning the real reason? He didn't think all those miracles were factual!

Pardon me, if I didn't know about his Bible. My education focused on his political life, rather than religious life. Also, if it's "common Knowledge, why the article YESTERDAY? Apparently I'm not the only one this is news to.

All that being said, no comment? Isn't that what we're here for? :eusa_pray::eusa_angel:

Last edited:
So y'all just going to be douche bags? What's the problem with discussing what he did? I don't care that you knew about it and I didn't. There's plenty I know that you don't. I just don't try to act all douchey in that situation. Next time, don't answer at all. You just waste everyone's time with worthless posts. :eusa_snooty:

Imagine what the right wing would have said about Madison who is called the father of the constitution.

But rituals don't play a big part in the gospels. If you really know the history, why aren't you mentioning the real reason? He didn't think all those miracles were factual!

Pardon me, if I didn't know about his Bible. My education focused on his political life, rather than religious life. Also, if it's "common Knowledge, why the article YESTERDAY? Apparently I'm not the only one this is news to.

All that being said, no comment? Isn't that what we're here for? :eusa_pray::eusa_angel:

I don't know why it the article was YESTERDAY. We could have an article about the Crimean war TODAY, it doesn't mean that it was somehow hidden until today. It is shameful that the state of education today is so deficient that the Jefferson Bible is edited out.

It isn't at all determinative that Jefferson did not believe the miracles were factual. It means nothing. He still believed in Christian principles and values. He didn't believe in God making miracles in individual lives. Like others of his time, he believed in the guidance of Providence. Whether Jefferson believed that the Red Sea actually parted says nothing whatsoever about his Christianity.

By all means, let's consider Madison!

"It is impossible for the man of pious reflection not to perceive in it [the Constitution] a finger of that Almighty hand which has been so frequently and signally extended to our relief in the critical stages of the revolution." - Federalist Papers, No. 37, January 11, 1788

Read more: James Madison Quotes from the Federalist Papers

"Each State, in ratifying the Constitution, is considered as a sovereign body, independent of all others, and only to be bound by its own voluntary act. In this relation, then, the new Constitution will, if established, be a FEDERAL, and not a NATIONAL constitution." - Federalist Papers, No. 39, January, 1788

"That the most productive system of finance will always be the least burdensome." - Federalist Papers, No. 39, January, 1788

Maybe obama shoud take Madison's advice!
"How could a readiness for war in time of peace be safely prohibited, unless we could prohibit, in like manner, the preparations and establishments of every hostile nation?" - Federalist Papers, No. 41, January, 1788

"What is to be the consequence, in case the Congress shall misconstrue this part [the necessary and proper clause] of the Constitution and exercise powers not warranted by its true meaning, I answer the same as if they should misconstrue or enlarge any other power vested in them... the success of the usurpation will depend on the executive and judiciary departments, which are to expound and give effect to the legislative acts; and in a last resort a remedy must be obtained from the people, who can by the elections of more faithful representatives, annul the acts of the usurpers." - Federalist Papers, No. 44, January 25, 1788

"But ambitious encroachments of the federal government, on the authority of the State governments, would not excite the opposition of a single State, or of a few States only. They would be signals of general alarm... But what degree of madness could ever drive the federal government to such an extremity." - Federalist Papers, No. 46, January 29, 1788

States rights. Small federal government. Belief in God. James Madison was a right winger, who knew? It's amazing what one can find in the Federalist Papers if one looks.

Liberals would never lower themselves to read the Federalist Papers, if indeed they could read and comprehend at that level. Liberals believe what they are told by OTHER liberals. They have a hive mind, like the Borg. They know what they are told.

James Madison's Veto Messages by Gene Garman

June 3, 1811

I have recd. fellow Citizens your address, approving my Objection to the Bill contain[in]g a grant of public land, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House Missippi Terry. Having always regarded the practical distinction between Religion & Civil Govt as essential to the purity of both, and as guaranteed by the Constn: of the U.S. I could not have otherwise discharged my duty on the occasion which presented itself. Among the various religious Societies in our Country, none have been more vigilant or constant in maintain[in]g that distinction, than the Society of which you make a part, and it is an honourable proof of your sincerity & integrity, that you are as ready to do so, in a case favoring the interest of your brethren, as in other cases. It is but just, at the same time, to the Baptist Church at Salem Meeting House, to remark that their application to the Natl. Legislature does not appear to have contemplated a grant of the Land in question, but on terms that might be equitable to the public as well as to themselves. Accept my friendly respects

------------------------------

President Madison's letter as quoted above is located in The Papers of James Madison: Presidential Series, 3:323-324. To Mr. Madison, I say, thank you; and in appreciation of the historical Baptist position, I say, Amen!

Madson could not say it any clearer.

He says the constitution includes a separation of church and state.

Last edited:
"Happily for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society. They reared the fabrics of governments which have no model on the face of the globe. They formed the design of a great Confederacy, which it is incumbent on their successors to improve and perpetuate." - Federalist Papers, No. 14, November 30, 1787

Now do you see the father of the constitution designed one which the people were at the helm of and could IMPROVE.

He wanted it that way

"Happily for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society. They reared the fabrics of governments which have no model on the face of the globe. They formed the design of a great Confederacy, which it is incumbent on their successors to improve and perpetuate." - Federalist Papers, No. 14, November 30, 1787

Now do you see the father of the constitution designed one which the people were at the helm of and could IMPROVE.

He wanted it that way

The devil as they say is in the details. What is improvement? To some, it is building financial stability to another, improvement is financial destruction. Both see their policies as improvement yet they are diametrically opposed.

I don't know why it the article was YESTERDAY. We could have an article about the Crimean war TODAY, it doesn't mean that it was somehow hidden until today. It is shameful that the state of education today is so deficient that the Jefferson Bible is edited out.

I don't see a recent thread on the topic. If we only talked about things that hadn't been posted before, we'd have very little to say. If you don't like the topic, don't post. If you're so knowledgeable, let us in on your wisdom and quit being a douchebag.

Forum List

Back