"Jaywalking" on Leno --- is that for real?

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
My son and I were watching some "Jay-walking" clips from Jay Leno's show on the web. In case you don't know what I mean, that's the segment of the show where he stops people on the street and asks them simple questions about U.S. History, the Constitution, current events, geography etc.

None of the people he asks can answer even the simplest questions...

"When was the War of 1812 fought?"

"How many stars on the flag?"

In some cases, people who identified themselves as teachers or as recent college graduates in history couldn't answer simple questions about the Constitution, didn't know the year America was discovered, didn't know when World War II was fought, and in one case, could not name the Vice President of the US.

Are these people for real? Are people actually that ignorant?

KarlMarx said:
My son and I were watching some "Jay-walking" clips from Jay Leno's show on the web. In case you don't know what I mean, that's the segment of the show where he stops people on the street and asks them simple questions about U.S. History, the Constitution, current events, geography etc.

In some cases, people who identified themselves as teachers or as recent college graduates in history couldn't answer simple questions about the Constitution, didn't know the year America was discovered, didn't know when World War II was fought, and in one case, could not name the Vice President of the US.

They are taped, they have to go through many, many who know the answers to find the truly ignorant for us to laugh at....

Maybe that's where they get the contestants for Beauty & The Geek...

KarlMarx said:
My son and I were watching some "Jay-walking" clips from Jay Leno's show on the web. ....

I saw him do one at a college graduation once...GAWD what they let graduate!

After all my travels I would say, Yes, sad but true, it's real.

I just don't get the "dumb thing". So many movies, commercials and TV shows seem to glorify "dumb" these days that one would think it is something one should aspire to. Ya Ya--I know it's supposed to be funny and it just MIGHT be if it weren't so true. Have we just given up on educating people since DUMB has taken over. Gallows laughter I guess, huh?

So.... this is what "progressiveness" has brought us? Ignorance? People know nothing about their own history and, like the old saying, will be condemned to repeat it.

And this is what sexual liberation has brought us? To be stupid, diseased and to see children having children.

And our schools reduced to being places to party and to be indoctrinated in extreme Left Wing ideology rather than in classical Western thought.

How is this any different than the Dark Ages? Is this country becoming little more than a horde of uneducated Huns?

Tell you what, I'd rather be sexually repressed and know the difference between right and wrong and have an education and some manners. Give me that old time religion, baby! You know, with a God that punishes sinners and forgives those who repent. Give me some rules to live by, like the old mariner who wanted only "a ship and a star to steer her by".

The Ancient Egyptians called it "Ma'at" - divine order and truth. That's what we need, now, more than ever.

Not that people aren't dumb :cof: but I think that some of the people are caught unawares in front of a camera with a big tv guy asking you questions and you just get tripped up. I have done this, my dark confession...

9th grade:
joker: ...plane goes down on US/Can border which country do they bury survivors.
Me: (friends all around anxiously awaiting my answer should have been my first clue) ..uh, i guess it would depend on their country of origins... **laughter all around**

IMHO, it could have been something like that

Forum List

Back