Jay Carney: Millions Leaving Workforce Because People are Getting Old

Jay Carney: Millions Leaving the Workforce Because People Are Getting Old - White House - Fox Nation

Yup, you heard it here first.

And this is how the Government plays with the numbers. If you "leave the workforce" (aka give up on finding a job) you don't count as unemployed.

That's why the truth is the unemployment numbers are really over 10%.

Admirable job by Jay of not answering the question put to him while at the same time accusing anyone who asks such questions of being against the Administration.

Of course actual UE is over 8.3%.

Hell. Anyone with half a brain know that.

Apparantly Carney thinks we all have half a brain.

I went to the link and read the text of it. I did not know that FOX Nation was soo incredibly poor at doing interviews. Here is the main quesiton of the interview - I want you to read it and tell me where the actual question is, and while you're at it show me where the question-mark is at the end? Here's the question that is the crux of the article:
"

QUESTION:

That's a reality! That's not a political point to score. Thats a reality that people stopped looking for work and then they have to re-enter."

You see the basic problem here? Your FOX Nation interviewer doesn't actually ask any questions, they just make unsupported assertions and pretend its a question. They try to tell the person they are interviewing the answer they want to hear, they express an opinion rather than conduct an interview, and the the ignorant gather around and phrase them with their own baseless assertions. It is the Republican way, it is the FOX way, but it sure as hell isn't the American way.

Millions seeking early retirment before retirement benefits are cut.
Exactly, 7,500 Boomers are retiring every day at 62, the earliest they can retire and collect benefits, mostly because they don't think the benefits will be there in the future and they want to collect what little they can before the GOP welsh on them.

I went to the link and read the text of it. I did not know that FOX Nation was soo incredibly poor at doing interviews. Here is the main quesiton of the interview - I want you to read it and tell me where the actual question is, and while you're at it show me where the question-mark is at the end? Here's the question that is the crux of the article:
"

QUESTION:

That's a reality! That's not a political point to score. Thats a reality that people stopped looking for work and then they have to re-enter."

You see the basic problem here? Your FOX Nation interviewer doesn't actually ask any questions, they just make unsupported assertions and pretend its a question. They try to tell the person they are interviewing the answer they want to hear, they express an opinion rather than conduct an interview, and the the ignorant gather around and phrase them with their own baseless assertions. It is the Republican way, it is the FOX way, but it sure as hell isn't the American way.

lol...you read the text but did not watch the video...

And the result?

You took out of context what the reporter did, and then criticized her for it.

Watch the cideo...then we will all understand when youdelete your post.

It is pathetically inaccurate.

FYI.....the question was aksed, the original answer did not address the crux of the question, so she stopped him and qualified...or disqualified.....his original answer forcing him to actually asnwer the question....

That is known as GOOD reporting....not "brown nose" reporting.

(Cut the guy some slack, will ya. Its a real tough job explaining away to the American people every little daily encroachment on their rights, liberties, privileges, and freedoms in Obama's relentless march toward that oft promised "Fundamental Transformation Of America". Because of America's long history of Liberty, open discourse and dialogue, Joe Goebbels had an easier time explaining away the piles of corpses after the Night Of The Long Knives than Jay Carney does explaining the dissappearance of a coupla million workers from the Labor Force or why the Catholic Church has to lavishly hand out contraceptive devices and medicines free of charge to their employees when the priests preach against that very thing every Sunday from their pulpits. Imagine Mr Carney's consternation and angst when he has to stand up in front of the press and explain away why Barack told Eric to take the Bishops for their perp walks in cuffs, chains, and shackles for their press photographs. That won't happen till after November, as much as Mr Obama might want it to, even he knows it will torpedo his re election chances.)

"The more the Obama regime digs their heels in on this one the more it’s going to hurt in November.

Via CNS News:

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Monday that American women “deserve” to have their employers buy them health insurance plans that cover sterlizations and all FDA-approved contraceptives, including those that cause abortions, with no fees or co-pay, even if the employer is a Catholic or Catholic organization that adheres to the church teaching that sterilization, artificial contraception and abortifacients are morally wrong and that Catholics cannot be involved in them"

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » White House: Women “Deserve” To Have Catholic Church Buy Them Sterilizations, Contraceptives And Abortion Drugs…

Exactly, 7,500 Boomers are retiring every day at 62, the earliest they can retire and collect benefits, mostly because they don't think the benefits will be there in the future and they want to collect what little they can before the GOP welsh on them.

Those benefits still might not always be there even though they think that by retiring early, they're locking them in. What about all the folks who retired under AA's, currently in bankruptcy proceedings, pension plan. AA might work out a bankruptcy settlement that is agreeable to the bankruptcy trustees and the PBGIC for now, but there's always the option that the Supermarkets General pensioners, last covered under the A&P pension plan are going to be faced with. SGC underwent a bankruptcy reorganization, emerged, then merged with A&P which filed for bankruptcy a short time later. Two struggling grocery chains merging as if somehow two wrongs were miraculously going to make a right. Then A&P stopped making pension payments to the pension trustee. The pensioners are now going to be turned over to the PBGIC and their meager retirement payments, a fraction of what Government Employees are guaranteed to start, are now going to paid out by PBGIC at cents on the dollar of what they formerly received. AA was the most recent bankruptcy filer, there will be many more with the economy in the condition its in and that retirement brass ring they think they are grabbing onto just may vanish in front of their eyes.

I guess this confuses me a little.
What does someone retiring have to do with the unemployment numbers? They had a job (so was employed), then retired from that job (they are now "retired"). They would never have been counted as unemployed in the first place! So how would this affect the UE numbers?

As these people retire, then their jobs would (should) be open to someone unemployed. Is that happening? Probably not in all cases. Companies will just spread the work around to other employees in most cases (it happens where i work!) instead of hiring someone. Just because someone retired, it does not mean jobs will open up for others and therefore lower the unemployment %.

Seems like alot of doubletalk to me. Why would someone hurry and retire at 62, when probably the majority of the people will ONLY get their little social security checks...just because they think they may not get it later? I wouldn't do that...i'd love to be able to retire, i'm only 4 yrs from turning 62, but i wouldn't do it if i couldn't afford it and if all i was only going to make 1/2 my normal wages. I can't believe there are that many people actually retiring early for this reason.

I guess this confuses me a little.
What does someone retiring have to do with the unemployment numbers? They had a job (so was employed), then retired from that job (they are now "retired"). They would never have been counted as unemployed in the first place! So how would this affect the UE numbers?

As these people retire, then their jobs would (should) be open to someone unemployed. Is that happening? Probably not in all cases. Companies will just spread the work around to other employees in most cases (it happens where i work!) instead of hiring someone. Just because someone retired, it does not mean jobs will open up for others and therefore lower the unemployment %.

Seems like alot of doubletalk to me. Why would someone hurry and retire at 62, when probably the majority of the people will ONLY get their little social security checks...just because they think they may not get it later? I wouldn't do that...i'd love to be able to retire, i'm only 4 yrs from turning 62, but i wouldn't do it if i couldn't afford it and if all i was only going to make 1/2 my normal wages. I can't believe there are that many people actually retiring early for this reason.

Many people accepted "termination" with a package deal...they were not officially retiring...but they volunteered to be "laid off" with a package. Most of those were nearing retirment age.
Then they hit the streets looking for a job...and after months, they couldnt find one..

So they decided to retire.

It is not referring to those that retired before losing their jobs.

It is referring to those that lost their jobs and THEN opted to retire.

What are they supposed to do? Count retirees as still in the workforce?

Seriously? How would that work? jeezus what is wrong with you people?

What are they supposed to do? Count retirees as still in the workforce?

Seriously? How would that work? jeezus what is wrong with you people?

they are supposed to be consistant.

Thats all.

And that is exactly what they are doing...giving us numbers based on the exact same criteria used by the Bush admin and every admin before that...back to Reagan....

I prefer it that way.....

Last thing we need are numbers where we cant compare to numbers of the past.

Many government employees are leaving early because of the efforts by cities, counties and states as well as special districts to reduce salaries and benefits and expect the same work product with less staff.

Notice that the Tea Party darlings elected to the House and Senate, and legislatives bodies nationwide, have not voted to reduce the salary or benefits which they earn.

Last edited:
Many baby boomers looking at a rough retirement...
:confused:
Few U.S. cities are ready for aging baby boomer population
25 Mar.`12 – Few communities have started to think long term about how to plan and redesign services for aging baby boomers as they move out of the workforce and into retirement.
Even more troubling, dwindling budgets in a tight economy have pushed communities to cut spending on delivering meals to the homebound and shuttling folks who can no longer drive to grocery stores and doctor's offices. These cuts, advocates for older Americans say, are coming when the services are needed more than ever. And those needs will grow tremendously over the next two decades.

The nation's population of those 65 and older will double between 2000 and 2030, according to the federal Administration on Aging. That adds up to one out of every five Americans — 72.1 million people. Just eight years from now, researchers say, a quarter of all Ohio's residents in half of the state's counties will be 60 or older. Arizona and Pennsylvania project that one in four of its residents will be over the age of 60 by 2020. "The bottom line is, the baby boomers are hitting," Chuck Gehring of LifeCare Alliance, an agency serving seniors in central Ohio, told The Columbus Dispatch. "Are communities prepared for this? No."

Six years ago, the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging said less than half of cities it surveyed at the time were preparing to deal with the needs of older folks. It said the results "should serve as a wake-up call for communities to begin planning now." Five years later, the Washington, D.C.-based group revisited the survey and found little had changed. There was still a great need for transportation and housing for aging boomers, it said. "There are a lot of communities that recognize they need to do something but haven't done it yet," Sandy Markwood, the group's chief executive officer, told the Associated Press.

Some of the changes cities can make include offering training to help older people drive more safely, installing road signs that are easier to read or creating ride-share programs, said Jo Reed, who oversaw the latest survey. The biggest reason why cities have made little progress is the economy.

MORE

I have to admit the Obama administration has gotten this one right on the money.
This is the first time that people have gotten old.... :cuckoo:

People better get ready for the future.
The government will nationalize every ones retirement
accounts.The IRA's the 401k and the rest.
They will have no choice thanks to the love of spending.
The left will support this measure.Government controlling our
money and giving us what they feel is enough for us to live on.

Forum List

Back