Java Updates

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I'm experiencing something weird that's only happening on this forum with my Opera browser.

While browsing a thread, I will suddenly receive a message warning me that my Java plugin tells me there's something menacing about this site and that I must update my Java ASAP. It takes me to the Java site and I have to click the update before it will return me to the forum.

It doesn't happen in Firefox.

I keep having the page randomly go to getting paid $-75 for a date or some such when either hitting reply or trying to score a post. About 4 times this afternoon. And I have adblock, etc.

Uninstall java from your PC, you don't need it and won't miss it. It was originally something of promise as a client-side technology, but today it is mainly server-side so you have little need for JRE it is nothing but security risks and update headaches.

Uninstall java from your PC, you don't need it and won't miss it. It was originally something of promise as a client-side technology, but today it is mainly server-side so you have little need for JRE it is nothing but security risks and update headaches.

This blows me away! I thought Java was essential to get certain images. I'll remove it and see what happens.

Some of the confusion comes from java versus javascript. Javascript is very commonly used and you'd suffer without it, java made a thrust as a client side technology for interactive web over a decade ago but it never went anywhere in that realm and was quickly supplanted by flash/javascript/ajax/etc.

There are a few websites that still use java applets for graphs or simple calculators but they are few and far between.

More info here:

http://readwrite.com/2012/09/05/java-is-no-longer-needed-pull-the-plug-in
Security experts are hard pressed to say what Java does for most people. While some online games and business applications need a Java plug-in to run, nearly all modern sites, including Facebook and Twitter, use JavaScript, XML and HTML 5, which run natively in the browser. Therefore, people could happily surf the Web for years without ever running Java.

Fake Java Update Virus Removal
---
In this article we're going to take a look at the fake Java update virus, understand a little more about what it is, find out how you know if you've been infected with it – and more importantly – how to protect yourself from it and remove it from your computer.

If you keep receiving ads for fake Java updates then your computer is infected with adware. Those pop-up ads are usually very misleading, the latest variants try to scare users into downloading malicious programs using fake "Outdated Java Plugin Detected" pop-ups that are completely fake.
---

I fell for a scam the other day. I needed to install Open Office to look at a file, so I searched for "Open Office download", went to the top site, started downloading ... and things started acting funny. Stuff I didn't want was getting installed. That's because it wasn't the official Open Office website, it was a lookalike malware site. I cancelled the ongoing installs, immediately ran Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner, and removed a lot of crap. And then tried again, making sure I was using the genuine Open Office website this time.

Yeah I accidentally typed in "ChicksWithDicks.net" in my browser when I was trying to type the name of my local bank. Man that was a headache removing all the stuff I got on my PC.

Forum List

Back