jarhead

I also saw the movie, and the story wasn't terrible, but it's difficult to pay attention to it when everyone is looking for whether it's taking a pro or anti-war stance.

The story, about the coming obsoleteness of certain parts of the military, was an interesting one.

There was plenty of make-you-wanna-cry bull shit, like a horse walking around abandoned. The beginning of the movie has some funny lines as well. The end was pretty bad, too many loose ends loosely tied up.

All in all, you probably won't miss anything if you wait to rent it.

All I had to see was preview of running PT in gas masks to know that I didn't need to relive that decade.

I figured it would be bad--just a bunch of actors pretending to be soldiers and saying "Hoo Rah" every five seconds and glorifying war--a production in conjunction with the military to boost recruitment numbers. :gives:

Hagbard Celine said:
I figured it would be bad--just a bunch of actors pretending to be soldiers and saying "Hoo Rah" every five seconds and glorifying war--a production in conjunction with the military to boost recruitment numbers. :gives:
Yeah, kinda like a bunch of liberal actors pretending to be politicians, Now that's funny stuff. :funnyface

Mr. P said:
Yeah, kinda like a bunch of liberal actors pretending to be politicians, Now that's funny stuff. :funnyface
Yeah, I guess that's kinda like conservative automatons pretending to be human. Ho ho ho ho ho! Hee hee hee hee! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :banana:

Hagbard Celine said:
Yeah, I guess that's kinda like conservative automatons pretending to be human. Ho ho ho ho ho! Hee hee hee hee! Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :banana:
Well good. Ya happy now? You've been around all afternoon just lookin for a response to some dumb ass comment you've made. Now go to bed kid. :)

I figured it would be bad--just a bunch of actors pretending to be soldiers

So, you don't like movies in which the actors... pretend to be other people?

and glorifying war

Actually, I've heard it takes no stance on war at all, really.

--a production in conjunction with the military to boost recruitment numbers.

But, wasn't the book it was based on very critical of the Marine Corp?

I think a lot of people (not just on the board, this is a blanket statement) on both sides of the political spectrum need to stop judging movies based on their politics, or trying to find political leanings in movies when there are none. It's silly.

Case in point: Platoon and Saving Private Ryan. Two of the greatest war movies ever made, we can all agree on that, no? However, both are very anti-war, I think, or at least both show war to be senseless and ultimately nobody "wins". So, do the more conservative folks on the board dislike these movies because of this?

Hagbard Celine said:

Ignorant statement. All movies have actors pretending to be something they aren't.

And any movie that shows war realistically from the points of view of us military personnel do not glorify it. The LAST people who want war are the ones who have to do the actual fighting as opposed to you Monday-morning QB's who haven't got a clue. They just understand when it is necessary, as opposed to those who live with their heads buried in the clouds or the sand, whichever.

And they're too damned busy trying to carry out their missions and survive to give a DAMN about your politics.

Hagbard Celine said:

having seen the movie.... all i can say is .... you are exactly wrong

GunnyL said:
Ignorant statement. All movies have actors pretending to be something they aren't.

And any movie that shows war realistically from the points of view of us military personnel do not glorify it. The LAST people who want war are the ones who have to do the actual fighting as opposed to you Monday-morning QB's who haven't got a clue. They just understand when it is necessary, as opposed to those who live with their heads buried in the clouds or the sand, whichever.

And they're too damned busy trying to carry out their missions and survive to give a DAMN about your politics.

This is why I liked "We Were Soldiers." Retired Major (I think) General Hal Moore was made a consultant, since it was based on his book. This is why the movie doesn't focus on the politics or purpose of war. It doesn't make a statement on the evils of war or the glory of dieing with your boots on. I shows how when it comes down to it, the soldiers fight for two things. First, the ability to return to their families and second, the ability of the man next to them to do the same. I think "Saving Private Ryan" also portrayed that, though not as well, but I didn't read too deeply into that movie. It was a story about how several men gave their lives to save somebody they never maet to save an old woman the grief of losing all her children.

Hobbit said:
This is why I liked "We Were Soldiers." Retired Major (I think) General Hal Moore was made a consultant, since it was based on his book. This is why the movie doesn't focus on the politics or purpose of war. It doesn't make a statement on the evils of war or the glory of dieing with your boots on. I shows how when it comes down to it, the soldiers fight for two things. First, the ability to return to their families and second, the ability of the man next to them to do the same. I think "Saving Private Ryan" also portrayed that, though not as well, but I didn't read too deeply into that movie. It was a story about how several men gave their lives to save somebody they never maet to save an old woman the grief of losing all her children.

i thought blackhawk down did a fine job showing how soldiers cared about each other...i cry every time i watch it

Dan said:
Case in point: Platoon and Saving Private Ryan. Two of the greatest war movies ever made, we can all agree on that, no? However, both are very anti-war, I think, or at least both show war to be senseless and ultimately nobody "wins". So, do the more conservative folks on the board dislike these movies because of this?

As one who may be considered one of the conservatives on the board, I can tell you that Platoon is one of my all-time favorite movies. Top 5 in fact.

And the book was even better.

Platoon showed war's ugliness, yes, but I didn't think it made cartoon characters out of the men. It is superb filmmaking, but really, with a book that good, you shoud be able tomake a great movie.

I didn't know it was a book, did Oliver Stone write it?

My Dad had a friend who was in Vietnam, he actually got a purple heart, but anyway, he said that Platoon was by far the most realistic movie about Vietnam he ever saw.

Dan said:
I didn't know it was a book, did Oliver Stone write it?

My Dad had a friend who was in Vietnam, he actually got a purple heart, but anyway, he said that Platoon was by far the most realistic movie about Vietnam he ever saw.

Platoon is pretty hard for me to watch...too many memories....but it is a good movie.

Hobbit said:

"We Were Soldiers". Now that is a good movie. It took some heat for some of the dialogue, but my friends dad was there, in the actual war, not the movie, and said it was dead on in every way. He said Mel Gibson was good as Moore (retired a Lt. General by the way), but the main one that struck him was Sam Elliot as Sgt. Maj. Plumley. He was apparently exactly the way Elliot played him on screen.

Forum List

Back